13U General Discussion
 High school Baseball-vs- Travel Baseball
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  10:31:02  Show Profile
Are travel teams and High school teams going to allow kids to play both or not? Spring travel ball is close and so is the option for kids to play up on their high school team.
Will there be an impact on travel ball quality?

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  09:34:32  Show Profile
Sem Tony, we are worried about the same thing. I noticed last night that our school plays a couple of dbl headers on a few Saturday's during the season. Hopefully, I can keep him off the mound and from behind the plate for one more year while he builds up his arm strength. Going to be hard on his arm if he has to play school ball during the week and travel during the wkends. Either way, he will be ready to do whatever is needed.
Go to Top of Page

whit417

132 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  15:02:19  Show Profile
Lottapop - HS will come soon enough. You need to let your son dedicate himself strictly to travel ball for at least one more year.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  15:02:37  Show Profile
Most High school programs won't let their players play on travel teams in the spring during the HS season. If you are talking about middle school ball, that is a different thing.

Most travel coaches respect the situation by not having HS players out on the weekends playing with them.

Do you mean 8th graders playing up on the HS Freshman or JV team?

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 10/28/2010 18:02:37
Go to Top of Page

bestplayinbaseball

67 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  19:24:26  Show Profile
can an 8th grader tryout for the freshman team? I'm sure they wouldn't see much play time. Wouldn't it be better to stay in travel ball and be on the field?
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  23:11:11  Show Profile
You'll be surprised at how far more advanced most good travel ball players(8th graders) are over 9th graders with only rec. ball experience. I do understand some areas with high concentrations of good travel teams that work as feeder teams for local high schools might have a better 9th grade team but they sometimes get bumped up to JV. I know that our area plays a lot of the better 8th graders over mediocre 9th graders. Some even get moved up to JV early to mid season(as 8th graders...mainly pitchers). This would not be my choice just because of the difference in age and maturity levels of the kids. The only main rule that I know of is that the coach cannot cut a 9th grader to make room for a 8th grader.
Go to Top of Page

LDG

11 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  12:07:06  Show Profile
I'm a little slow on the uptake........I've seen big discrepancies in skills between age levels in all sports. Playin up in rec/travel happens all the time, even at the younger age groups. I also see that due to disparity of puberty it is less from 12ish-15ish. Then the playing field levels out again.
Does anyone's HS actually have 8th graders on any freshman HS team? Basketball/baseball/football, etc...
In our area (5AAAAA)there are at least 30 kids try out for each team grade level (more for football of course). I don't know if any of those trying out for any freshman team are 8th graders. If your logic is correct, any 9th grader that came to tryouts would have to be selected before an 8th grader???

Then the next harder question, would that help or hurt your chances in 9th grade if you did not make it?
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  21:14:34  Show Profile
In our area(can't speak for other counties)the coach can not make a spot on the 9th grade baseball team by cutting a 9th grader to make room for a 8th grader. They usually just carry everyone that comes out. It still is about the money. More kids on the team, the more money coming into the program. They just don't have to play everyone. Not a pretty site. Kids riding the bench and a coach happy to let them just for the families money. These parents that think their child is good enough to make the team but don't know the real reasons is for their cash. They thin out by the 10th and 11th grade.

And for those out there...High school baseball does cost, just like travel ball. Our team dues last spring for high school baseball was $700. The booster club does help each child by giving them raffle tickets to sell(small amount comes off each childs dues). Plus there are some other fund raisers for the team. The county does very little to none for the team, including field or park maintenance. And you thought travel ball was tough. Do you remember the good old days of when you went out for a team and made it the school paid for everything.
Time for a reality check. Or should I say blank check.

Edited by - seminole tony on 10/31/2010 21:22:01
Go to Top of Page

LDG

11 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  20:34:26  Show Profile
OK,that is great information. Thanks for sharing. I'm not paying for my kid to ride the pine on even the best team. I'd rather him keep working hard as a starter somewhere else. Reps,Reps,Reps.
How about this scenario. Your kid makes, or wants to make, the freshman team as a 9th grader. Is it unreasonable to ask the coach beforehand how many he is carrying on that team? What if the # is 20 or more? Only 9 on the field. what is an acceptable?
Trying to be unbiased........I think my kid has the skill to play top level ball. He's on the radar already. I am sure he's not the only one though and he should be in the top 5 at any tryout, but it depends on what competition shows up and what a coach likes as far as offense/defense and his style of game. Some coaches value wheels. Our coach values getting on base. What good are wheels if you can't get on base...... Some like fast teams, some sticks and some speed at the top of the lineup. Just depends on if your skillset meets a need for that coach.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  10:13:44  Show Profile
LDG,
Freshman ball is a very short season and before JV or Varsity, and well before travel ball starts for 14u and up, so I don't believe a kid is going to get behind by being on the team, even if they don't play all the time. The key here is, unlike with travel baseball, they get to practice every day at school and will help them get ready for the travel season. Not to mention they get to know the coaching staff and vise versa. I am sure most HS teams carry 20 players. However, there is still 5 days a week of practicing, scrimmaging, and playing games.

HS baseball is a different animal, and should be enjoyed.
Go to Top of Page

LDG

11 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  11:28:28  Show Profile
A-E
I'm getting it....or trying to. Thanks for your reply. In HS they have PO's (does that start as a freshman) so I understand carrying 20, but my son doesn't want or need to PO. He's an above average hitter (power, average, hits to all fields and from both sides of the plate) and way above average pitcher, but wants/needs to play everyday. His fate shouldn't be limited by limited position play. Not saying he can play every position, but his stick will get him a fielding position if he can continue to develop as the quality of pitching also develops.
Go to Top of Page

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  06:59:03  Show Profile
Just found out yesterday that in Alabama a player can not play travel ball while school ball is going on. I do not know if this is the case in Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

cutoffman

63 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  10:39:56  Show Profile
It's pretty much a coaches decision (in Ga) instead of a State wide rule...I find it hard to believe public schools can prohibit private activities! So what you going to do POP?
Go to Top of Page

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  14:11:14  Show Profile
Not sure, we will just play it by ear for now. Tryouts for JV/varsity is in 2weeks, if the coach doesn't impress me we will stick with travel ball for now.
Go to Top of Page

BBGUYGA

6 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  09:18:32  Show Profile
Wow I am shocked that your tryouts are in 2 weeks. That is totally against the GHSA rules. Tryouts can not start until approx. the first week in feb. They can do "winter workouts"...strength conditioning, and throwing....in Jan most schools start in door practicing, but the coaches can not work with them. Usually there is a coach there to "supervise". GHSA rules say that before Feb coaches can have "2 on 1" workouts and that is it. Then tryouts start I think Feb 1st this year I think
As far as 8th graders playing up, they can, but by GHSA rules they can but are limited in the number of games they can play. The Varsity Head Coach makes the call if anyone plays up from 8th grade. HS baseball does come at price, but they do workout 5 days a week minimum. The program chooses how many guys they take on each team, and most of the time it is predicated by depth of the school, and whether the school has a Freshman, JV, and Varsity program. You are right with your point that for some schools it is strictly a money maker. Now some schools play Freshman to build the program while some play to win only. A thing to remember is that between the age of 14 and 15 some smaller guys grow, so getting them used to playing with guys that can easily be 6' plus, as Freshman, can be intimidating. Then the next season when they are 6' but have not had the playtime experience they have trouble competing. Probably not to sound if you are really trying to build a leading program.
Go to Top of Page

BigDawg5

16 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  19:03:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lottapop

Not sure, we will just play it by ear for now. Tryouts for JV/varsity is in 2weeks, if the coach doesn't impress me we will stick with travel ball for now.

Lottapop here is a good ref for start dates .. see page 3 for baseball.

http://www.ghsa.net/files/documents/Constitution/Calendar_2010-2011.pdf
Go to Top of Page

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:35:59  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info guys....but remember I live in Alabama. :) First HS games in Ala. start Feb 21 and I think the earliest "organized" practice starts middle of Jan.

Edited by - lottapop on 12/04/2010 23:16:38
Go to Top of Page

ccianciolojr

80 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  12:41:22  Show Profile
I think something that is often overlooked is what does your son want to do (his decison without your influence), would he rather play for and represent his high school team or a travel ball team. Most kids would rather play for their high school team, even if it means they are not a starter. I can say from personal experience that practicing 5 to 6 days a week and getting better in front of his coach, outweighs practicing a couple times a week and playing in a tournament over the weekend coached by dad. That exposure to his HS coach is in valuable. Someone mentioned reps, reps, reps, you'll get more reps at high school practice than you would a travel team practice. As short as the high school season is (freshmand and JV), there is still plenty of time to get in an additonal 35-40 games over the summer starting in May. Speaking from experience, I didn't sign my baseball scholarship with GA State until Mid July. And isn't that what we all want, our sons to play at the next level??
Go to Top of Page

whit417

132 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  21:52:53  Show Profile
quote:
...outweighs practicing a couple times a week and playing in a tournament over the weekend coached by dad.

My son is a teammate of Lottapop's son. Believe me, the coaching he is getting on the travel team is every bit as good, or better, as anything he'll get at school. No coach/dad's here.
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  20:07:01  Show Profile
All right guys(and ladies), high school tryouts have come and gone thru much of the Atlanta and out lying areas.
How many teams have been deeply impacted by kids making the high school teams?? I know alot of coaches aren't allowing kids to play both. Are there kids out there that are optioning not to go high school in favor of travel?
How about the other way around? How much impact is this going to play on these upcoming tournaments? How much strain is this going to be on those kids doing both? Any high schools in the ECB area allowing travel ball and high school at the same time?
This has been a really tough time for my son because he has made the high school team but if he plays with the 9th graders it would be a step down from the caliber team mates he has been playin with. He IS looking forward to the chance to play with the JV some this season though(older kids and more competition skills wise). It was like Christmas eve for him last night waiting for the roster to post.
I know there is alot of great 13u/14u ball players in the Atlanta area that must be having the same dilemma.
Lets hear some.

Edited by - seminole tony on 02/07/2011 20:25:07
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  01:13:05  Show Profile
My son isnt in High School yet and he is home schooled but it is affecting us because he plays on a 14u team where all of the kids play for the 9th / JV team at their school.

This is leaving us in a spot because we cant have any field time/practice. Rec ball here isnt an option for obvious reasons. Working out 3 days a week indoors is better than nothing but nothing replaces field time. Sure its nice to get 200 swings a day and 300 plus ground balls a day 3 days a week but it still doesnt replace field time. I am honestly considering driving to Florida every day from South Georgia just to play middle school ball since home schooled kids can play ball in Florida vs not being able to in Georgia.

quote:
Originally posted by seminole tony

All right guys(and ladies), high school tryouts have come and gone thru much of the Atlanta and out lying areas.
How many teams have been deeply impacted by kids making the high school teams?? I know alot of coaches aren't allowing kids to play both. Are there kids out there that are optioning not to go high school in favor of travel?
How about the other way around? How much impact is this going to play on these upcoming tournaments? How much strain is this going to be on those kids doing both? Any high schools in the ECB area allowing travel ball and high school at the same time?
This has been a really tough time for my son because he has made the high school team but if he plays with the 9th graders it would be a step down from the caliber team mates he has been playin with. He IS looking forward to the chance to play with the JV some this season though(older kids and more competition skills wise). It was like Christmas eve for him last night waiting for the roster to post.
I know there is alot of great 13u/14u ball players in the Atlanta area that must be having the same dilemma.
Lets hear some.

Go to Top of Page

whit417

132 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  12:25:35  Show Profile
G-Man, not sure where you are located but Home Plate in Peachtree City has a home-school league. Might be worth checking into.
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  22:27:19  Show Profile
How is the high school baseball season effected travel teams around the Atlanta and out lying areas? I see on NWBA there are teams that are on hold till May. And, that some are joining up with local others just to be able to compete. It didn't seem to effect the ECB teams much. Are these kids not trying out for high school because travel baseball is better in the ECB area? Are high schools up in that area taking 8th & 9th graders? This has had quite an affect on travel ball in the 13u and 14u division(On the Southside).
Or...is it the kids that didn't make the high school teams in the ECB area are just that good and are able to show their stuff now that some playing time and positions are now available? This, I guess is a good reason to have 17-20 kids on a roster at this age.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000