General Discussion
 Looking Down the Road...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeachFuzz

76 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  15:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My player is about to enter his "rising Senior" summer season. He has interests from a couple of smaller schools (1 D3, and 1 small D2)..actually, the D3 has made him an offer to play/sign.
I have a question regarding next summer (Summer of 2014). If a player signs with a school in tne Fall of his senior year, does that college coach automatically expect the signee to play a full summer/travel schedule prior to reporting to college? I only ask because, if mine does end up signing (not sure how he feels about the D3 school that has offered), it would be nice to have a summer to spend traveling with him before he heads off to school.
It's alot of "what if's" and its over a year away..but I'm just curious what the more experienced on this board would have to say about it.

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  16:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally speaking, I would say yes. Although it depends on the school and the coaches. If he commits, he should ask. Usually, at a minimum, they will send him a pretty comprehensive workout routine to follow.

Here's the thing. Even if the school doesn't require him to play over the summer, it will be very much to his advantage if he does. Especially with D3 schools, he will be competing for a spring roster spot in the fall. As there are no athletic scholarships in D3, they have no obligation to keep a kid from fall to spring. In fact, I have heard many, many stories about D3 schools having upwards of 60-70 kids play in the fall with the spring roster narrowing down to 35 or so. If he is a walk-on at a D2, it may be a similar situation.

As you know, baseball is a sport full of fine motor skills. If you let those skills sit too long, it will take time to bring them back. Life is a all about 1st impressions as well. Even though these coaches have seen your son on his summer or HS team, they have not seen him in the college environment. You want that first impression to be a good one when he shows up in the fall.

Hope all this makes sense.

Edited by - bballman on 04/18/2013 16:25:32
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  17:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me add one other thing; many 18u teams end the summer with perfect game in atlanta and that means by mid/late june baseball is over- A good question for the summer coach. Additionally, if your son is a pitcher many college coaches want him to shut down around that timeframe anyway for about a month b4 they even start the summer workout program.
Go to Top of Page

PeachFuzz

76 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  10:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. It's hard to believe that, if the right college situation does not present itself, this could potentially be his last summer of travel ball.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  08:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time does FLY by.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000