Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Raking99

1 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  11:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the day it was a slap to a player to be pulled from
the field during an inning for whatever reasoning.

Just looking for opinions, does that still hold true today? Any specific standards for youth travel ball?

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  12:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mid inning is of course a slap unless there is a pitching change and kids have to rotate. It gets super complicated when you are batting 9 as well.

I saw a 12u coach pull the SS after he booted a ball, can't imagine why the kid was playing so tightly strung...oh yeah it was because he knew if he booted a ball he would be pulled! It is a slap and it's counter productive in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Ross

60 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  13:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than an injury, it is terrible coaching.
Go to Top of Page

tbaillie2

120 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  14:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

Mid inning is of course a slap unless there is a pitching change and kids have to rotate. It gets super complicated when you are batting 9 as well.

I saw a 12u coach pull the SS after he booted a ball, can't imagine why the kid was playing so tightly strung...oh yeah it was because he knew if he booted a ball he would be pulled! It is a slap and it's counter productive in my opinion.

Agreed...just don't do it for anything less than a complete shut down of effort.
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  16:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is the same kid making the same mistakes (mental more so than physical) sometimes the bench is the only thing that gets their attention. I have done it, and it cost me a player or two, so be it.
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  20:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a player off the field this weekend mid inning. He quit afterwards, good riddance.

Had he hustled he would have still been on the field. Had he chose to perform the team fundamental required of his position he would still be on the field. Had he not repeated the poorly performed team fundamental after the coach corrected him the 5th time he would still be on the field. Had he chose to hustle he would still be on the field.

Since when did travel ball turn into a baby sitting service? You perform or you sit. I'm sick and tired of players thinking they are entitled to playing time just because their check clears the bank.

I have a new policy. Once the check clears, if you want to waste your parents money, so be it........but I don't and from now on won't play you while your actions continue to hurt the team.

So the removed player now has a choice. Get in line, or get gone. No refunds.
Go to Top of Page

brdymakr

53 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  22:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I think that the age of the kid matters here. We've all seen the teenager with a "Tude" more times than we care to admit, especially after booting one and being "coached" for it from the dugout. Now, at ages under 12, I think that there is much more to be accomplished by letter that kid finish the inning and having a private word one on one as he comes of the field (in plain sight of Mom and Dad if possible). Then, follow up and follow through is the key. Get Mom/Dad engaged, get the player engaged and committed to the solution and a Team First and respectful attitude.

I watched a group of Coaches pull a kid off the mound in the middle of a count for trying to pick a runner off without it being called from the bench. Of course the ball got away from a Coaches kid who was daydreaming...go figure. What is the general opinion on that move?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  08:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can agree that sometimes kids just have a bad day, sometimes there is no place for a kid on the field, and sometimes you pick a kid for your team that actually doesn’t belong there. How you handle these situations defines you as a coach. If you know a kid is a slacker then sit him a majority of the time, play him when you are up by 10, or only in pool play, or in the last inning somewhere. I don't agree that anyone who pays gets equal playing time. But I do think if you were good enough to make the team you should get SOME playing time.

It isn't about babysitting and it isn't about a check clearing. This is YOUTH baseball, if you as a coach can't figure out how to build these boys up and are only tearing them down then you shouldn't coach. There is a line. A coach doesn’t have to be all gushy or complimentary, they can clearly say "Hey, it’s just not your day, I’m not seeing that you want it, take a break.” Then, if that kid is a starter usually you put him in next game to see if he’s any better. If he’s at a key position like SS you flip him with 2B; if it’s your 1B, you flip him with 3B, or just move him to outfield and then in between innings you remove him.

Taking a kid out MID inning is a tool move and trust me when I say the kid hears "You suck as a ball player and you are a huge disappointment". You don’t know what that kid’s home life is, you don't know what a little compassion could mean to a child. I've seen a coach destroy children, I've seen a coach be so harsh that the CHILDREN took their performance from the baseball field into real life, into their families, into their school work. I'm not saying you have to be all hugs and complimentary but you don't have to beat down children mentally, remember, they are CHILDREN. You can get your point across without being cruel.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  10:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Taking a kid out MID inning is a tool move and trust me when I say the kid hears "You suck as a ball player and you are a huge disappointment". You don’t know what that kid’s home life is, you don't know what a little compassion could mean to a child. I've seen a coach destroy children, I've seen a coach be so harsh that the CHILDREN took their performance from the baseball field into real life, into their families, into their school work. I'm not saying you have to be all hugs and complimentary but you don't have to beat down children mentally, remember, they are CHILDREN. You can get your point across without being cruel.

Again, this is babysitting. You call it a "tool" move... Obviously you've never been on a team with any kids that have that 'entitled' attitude, that they don't listen to coach, do their own thing, only look to dad in the stands for guidance, etc... Lucky you.

In the meantime, in the real world, there are PLENTY of Little Johnny's whom their parents think they do NO wrong, and the same parents may feel the coach isn't the best....

See, I'm thinking that those who are "for" pulling a kid mid-inning, are thinking about the poor ATTITUDE and UNcoachability of a kid... Not the kid with a physical error or two (I could be wrong). So, when a kid isn't hustling, or listening to coach, or not throwing the pitch coach calls, that's being defiant. That could stem from the parents not respecting the coach (and vocalizing their opinion around little Johnny), and now little Johnny has the same lack of respect for coach... So, how long to do let ONE kid get away with blatant disrespect and lack of hustle? Maybe it's not the parent's attitudes, but they just have their biased glasses on and don't see it as an issue, and don't discipline their son (at all-- school, behavior, etc).

Meanwhile, you have other people 'against' pulling kids for ANY reason, and want to blame the coach no matter what... 'Awe, you're going to hurt his feelings', 'Why did you take him, you're not a good coach if you can't change him', etc. BULL!!! I don't care if the kid is 8, 9, 10, or 15 years old, you disrespect me, as a coach, you'll get sit. IF I had known you (and your parents) thought you were the next Mike Trout, I wouldn't have taken you. If I knew you had a bad attitude, I wouldn't have taken you. BUT, just because I took you, and now found out how entitled you are, and how disrespectful you are, nope, you have NO guarantees nor are you ENTITLED to play just because you pay. You pay for your CHANCE to EARN playing time.

Edited by - turntwo on 06/07/2017 10:48:11
Go to Top of Page

ballsandbats

85 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  10:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is it ok to pull a pitcher in the middle of an inning, but it's not ok to pull a position player? While I agree that a coach should make every effort not to pull a kid, pitcher or otherwise, sometimes it must be done. What happens when your third baseman makes error number 2. And the errors aren't "good" errors, they are "bad" errors. They are the types errors that experience tells you may continue. Do you leave the kid in to make error 3? If kid makes error 3, isn't that as demoralizing as being pulled? And how long do you, while trying to save a kid's feelings, allow him to hurt the other 9-15 players on his team? Maybe the kid isn't making errors but just isn't "there" mentally at that time. We've all seen kids space out. Do you leave him to wander in lala land while batters are hitting dribblers past him? Again, coaches should do what they can to let the kids work through issues, but with that comes the responsibility to understand what those issues are. If a kid makes three errors, but they are all hustle mistakes, maybe that's fine. But you get two routine grounders between your legs, maybe that's not ok. I often see kids get down after these errors, only to get worse. Just my .02.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  11:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are differences in all kids. Age does have something to do with this conversation. As a coach always tried to find what makes each kid tick. Some need a kick in the pants. Some will melt down if it is done to them. Some excel when challenged. All kids are different and as a coach I always thought it best to know my kids and what I thought worked the best for each one.

High school kids are a different story. Miss a sign I have no problem with coach yanking kid mid at bat much less inning. Say man on third and second does not back up throw back to pitcher one run game. You do not have to be any good to back up a throw this happens your coming out mid inning. They have to learn and sometimes embarrassing them in front of classmates watching the game will do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  12:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:

Again, this is babysitting. You call it a "tool" move... Obviously you've never been on a team with any kids that have that 'entitled' attitude, that they don't listen to coach, do their own thing, only look to dad in the stands for guidance, etc... Lucky you.

In the meantime, in the real world, there are PLENTY of Little Johnny's whom their parents think they do NO wrong, and the same parents may feel the coach isn't the best....

See, I'm thinking that those who are "for" pulling a kid mid-inning, are thinking about the poor ATTITUDE and UNcoachability of a kid... Not the kid with a physical error or two (I could be wrong). So, when a kid isn't hustling, or listening to coach, or not throwing the pitch coach calls, that's being defiant. That could stem from the parents not respecting the coach (and vocalizing their opinion around little Johnny), and now little Johnny has the same lack of respect for coach... So, how long to do let ONE kid get away with blatant disrespect and lack of hustle? Maybe it's not the parent's attitudes, but they just have their biased glasses on and don't see it as an issue, and don't discipline their son (at all-- school, behavior, etc).

Meanwhile, you have other people 'against' pulling kids for ANY reason, and want to blame the coach no matter what... 'Awe, you're going to hurt his feelings', 'Why did you take him, you're not a good coach if you can't change him', etc. BULL!!! I don't care if the kid is 8, 9, 10, or 15 years old, you disrespect me, as a coach, you'll get sit. IF I had known you (and your parents) thought you were the next Mike Trout, I wouldn't have taken you. If I knew you had a bad attitude, I wouldn't have taken you. BUT, just because I took you, and now found out how entitled you are, and how disrespectful you are, nope, you have NO guarantees nor are you ENTITLED to play just because you pay. You pay for your CHANCE to EARN playing time.

I have seen these entitled kids, and I've seen coaches both sit them and play them. I have no problem sitting the most talented kid in the world if he's being a punk to his coach or his teammates. He will get some playing time but it will be minimal and when he or his parents finally get the nerve to ask why I would hope the coach would flat out say, because he's not being respectful to me, his teammates, or the game with his attitude. The REAL problem in that scenario is usually the coach. They know they have a problem child and they still play him because he's just "too good to sit", thus rewarding the poor behavior.

Ballsandbats, to your questions, you can pull a pitcher mid inning because it directly affects the score on every pitch, it can also affect the pitcher who may have an injury and that is why they aren't pitching like they usually do. Also, if the kid at third is booting the ball you pull in a kid from outfield to switch with him. If a kid is playing on a team where the coach is that upset by balls being booted and lack of hustle then pretty much every kid should be capable of playing every position, with the exception of C and P.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  12:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes you pinch run..pinch hit or pinch field a kid to make a better team at that point in game..you ever see pro teams put a player in OF during no hitter to help fielding chances? Yes SiR
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  12:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can agree that sometimes kids just have a bad day, sometimes there is no place for a kid on the field, and sometimes you pick a kid for your team that actually doesn’t belong there. How you handle these situations defines you as a coach. If you know a kid is a slacker then sit him a majority of the time, play him when you are up by 10, or only in pool play, or in the last inning somewhere. I don't agree that anyone who pays gets equal playing time. But I do think if you were good enough to make the team you should get SOME playing time.

It isn't about babysitting and it isn't about a check clearing. This is YOUTH baseball, if you as a coach can't figure out how to build these boys up and are only tearing them down then you shouldn't coach. There is a line. A coach doesn’t have to be all gushy or complimentary, they can clearly say "Hey, it’s just not your day, I’m not seeing that you want it, take a break.” Then, if that kid is a starter usually you put him in next game to see if he’s any better. If he’s at a key position like SS you flip him with 2B; if it’s your 1B, you flip him with 3B, or just move him to outfield and then in between innings you remove him.

Agree! These games are not game 7 of the World Series, nor are the kids getting paid or college money. Are there kids out there that deliberately make errors? I have never seen that. A simple sit the bench after an inning gets the message across along with a tallk. No need to pull a kid mid inning. Does the MLB do this? I don't know, legitimate question. To me this is a coach who can't control his emotions and doesn't see the big picture.

Edited by - Bravemom on 06/07/2017 13:33:43
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravemom

quote:

Agree! These games are not game 7 of the World Series, nor are the kids getting paid or college money. Are there kids out there that deliberately make errors? I have never seen that. A simple sit the bench after an inning gets the message across along with a tallk. No need to pull a kid mid inning. Does the MLB do this? I don't know, legitimate question. To me this is a coach who can't control his emotions and doesn't see the big picture.

Pitchers do get pulled mid-inning. I think if a fielder makes multiple errors you should pull them. Think about it this way. 10 to 12 players, all counting on each other to do their job. Not everybody gets to play every inning. So if Tom isn't performing so well, why not move things around and have Tom take a seat and have Billy enter the game. I'm not saying do this after one or two errors. I may give you two, but I can't leave you in after three. I just can't. Even in rec ball the all star coaches pulled my kid once at 6 b/c he let too many balls get by him.

I recall a game at 11u where we were at bat, the team in the field had 1 error by the OF early in the game, a dropped fly ball. Later in the game, 2 more dropped balls by the OF. I can't recall if all three were the same kid (2 were), but after the second it was clear that at least one kid in the OF couldn't catch. There were a total of 12 kids on the team so they had other options. I'm just of the mid set as a parent that if you don't perform, you get pulled. I would do it to my kid. As a matter of fact it happened to him when he was 9. That was really his first year of playing mostly OF and it was rough at times. It was late in the evening and he had two shots and I think two errors. He wasn't back out there after missing a couple of fly balls. I had no problem with it. Was I disappointed, yes. Was he disappointed, yes. I even recall his replacement making a key catch and another coach, who I'm cool with today, saying "That's why we put him out there dad."

I'm a big believer in teaching kids to be tough mentally. Not just the game of baseball, but life will "chew you up and spit you out" you better develop some "grit" and learn to "stick with it" when things get tough. We talk about all these lessons that sports can teach and I think its up to coaches and parents to make it applicable. It's hard, but again, a big believer in what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Edited by - ABC_Baseball on 06/07/2017 20:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  17:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Are there kids out there that deliberately make errors? I have never seen that."

Yes there are, and let me define what deliberately means.

Did the kid make the choice to not hustle? Did that hustle choice increase the chance of or cause the error or mistake to be made? See it all the time.

Did the kid make the choice to not use the techniques or fundamentals or backups or cutoffs or field positioning or footwork that have been taught to him for a year? Has the kid been continually coached on these such things yet still chooses to do it his "own way" which way greatly hinders his chances of making a clean play or the team playing competitive ball? See it all day everyday with certain kids and teams.

The actions are deliberate. A choice was made. The error was just the only outcome that normally occurs from the deliberate choice that was made.

So forget the error. If you think the actual error is the issue you are clueless in what coaches watch. I'm watching the deliberate choices and actions that caused the error. The error is over and done, but the deliberate choices to continue doing the little things that led to the error are the real issue.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  06:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ABC_Baseball

quote:
Originally posted by Bravemom

quote:

Pitchers do get pulled mid-inning. I think if a fielder makes multiple errors you should pull them. Think about it this way. 10 to 12 players, all counting on each other to do their job. Not everybody gets to play every inning. So if Tom isn't performing so well, why not move things around and have Tom take a seat and have Billy enter the game. I'm not saying do this after one or two errors. I may give you two, but I can't leave you in after three. I just can't. Even in rec ball the all star coaches pulled my kid once at 6 b/c he let too many balls get by him.

I recall a game at 11u where we were at bat, the team in the field had 1 error by the OF early in the game, a dropped fly ball. Later in the game, 2 more dropped balls by the OF. I can't recall if all three were the same kid (2 were), but after the second it was clear that at least one kid in the OF couldn't catch. There were a total of 12 kids on the team so they had other options. I'm just of the mid set as a parent that if you don't perform, you get pulled. I would do it to my kid. As a matter of fact it happened to him when he was 9. That was really his first year of playing mostly OF and it was rough at times. It was late in the evening and he had two shots and I think two errors. He wasn't back out there after missing a couple of fly balls. I had no problem with it. Was I disappointed, yes. Was he disappointed, yes. I even recall his replacement making a key catch and another coach, who I'm cool with today, saying "That's why we put him out there dad."

I'm a big believer in teaching kids to be tough mentally. Not just the game of baseball, but life will "chew you up and spit you out" you better develop some "grit" and learn to "stick with it" when things get tough. We talk about all these lessons that sports can teach and I think its up to coaches and parents to make it applicable. It's hard, but again, a big believer in what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

100% Agreed. Have to perform.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  07:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

Took a player off the field this weekend mid inning. He quit afterwards, good riddance.

Had he hustled he would have still been on the field. Had he chose to perform the team fundamental required of his position he would still be on the field. Had he not repeated the poorly performed team fundamental after the coach corrected him the 5th time he would still be on the field. Had he chose to hustle he would still be on the field.

Since when did travel ball turn into a baby sitting service? You perform or you sit. I'm sick and tired of players thinking they are entitled to playing time just because their check clears the bank.

I have a new policy. Once the check clears, if you want to waste your parents money, so be it........but I don't and from now on won't play you while your actions continue to hurt the team.

So the removed player now has a choice. Get in line, or get gone. No refunds.

Careful with the "No Refunds". Parents can legally sue for the remainder of their balance from date of leaving team and they will win. I've seen too many cases like this from multiple sports and they all have the same results with the coach having to pay court costs and the balance. If the kid is no longer on the team (no matter if the money is spent) they can not be held financially liable for any expenses (tourneys or training) they did not participate in.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  07:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a kid doesn't hustle and fall in line with the coaches goals and wishes as to what happens on the field then you don't play that kid unless you are way up or it's pool play, and even then only for a couple innings, if that.

Are these non hustling, non conforming children sooooo different in practice? I doubt it.

This kid that you are willing to give one, two, more chances to...he did all that damage in one inning? Did you move him? Did you move your SS to 2B? Did you switch 1B and 3B? There is no logical reason to pull a kid mid inning.

If the coach thinks Billy can do a better job that day and wants to pull him from the bench, that's great, but pulling mid inning only makes all the kids scared it will happen to them next. If you enjoy a team that plays so stiff they can't make a routine play then good luck with your "team".
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  10:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...There is no logical reason to pull a kid mid inning.

... but pulling mid inning only makes all the kids scared it will happen to them next...

The first comment summarizes ALL that is wrong in travel ball, in terms of the parents. There has been PLENTY of logical reasoning given here on this thread by coach's, and even parents, that shows plenty of reasons why mid-inning pulling would be appropriate.

Your second comment is just about as bad... Their "scared"? Why? Because coach (unlike mom and dad, maybe) has CONSEQUENCES for disrespectful/self-centered behavior/actions from the kids/players? It's call REAL LIFE. You don't perform (show effort in the way you're expected-- NOT just execution), you disregard instructions, you don't follow coach's rules, there are consequences. Just like in life.

Just because mom and dad don't discipline, doesn't mean coach shouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  11:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kids that don't hustle and do not know the fundamentals of theirposition probably didnt know or hustle during tryouts. That spilled over to the season. I guess the coach made an error (sorry, couldn't help myself)

I have seen kids like that...in Rec or low AA. I haven't seen that in higher level teams or older age groups. It is not in their DNA.

Again,l totally believe kids who allegedly don't hustle should sit. But "yanking" a kid mid-inning is an "intentional" action by an adult to "intentionally" embarrass a kid because said coach perceived an "intentional" act of not hustling.

Edited by - Bravemom on 06/08/2017 13:56:42
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  11:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make all parents sign a contract that says what rules are and no refunds. If you quit a team you quit not the coach. Anything to stir the pot and get a response i suppose but good luck every suing for a refund that is more just parents being babies cause little johnny didnt play. Now if a coach folds the team and walks off with money or collects for cooperstown and back out that is different but you want to sign a contract and walk or even walk its time to grow up cupcakes you left not the coach
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  11:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am down with regegade44 parents are much more of an issue than coaches in a lot of cases
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  14:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarley

Make all parents sign a contract that says what rules are and no refunds. If you quit a team you quit not the coach. Anything to stir the pot and get a response i suppose but good luck every suing for a refund that is more just parents being babies cause little johnny didnt play. Now if a coach folds the team and walks off with money or collects for cooperstown and back out that is different but you want to sign a contract and walk or even walk its time to grow up cupcakes you left not the coach

I couldn't disagree more. On a RARE occasion organizations pull a 180 on what the team was suppose to be to what it is now. From who will be coaching, to how many kids will be on the team, just fib after fib. Bottom line, if the team wasn't what was billed, you should be entitled to a refund based on when your kid left the team, and at the very least all tournament fees that your kid didn't play in.

If your kid played most of the season but he didn't get them time you thought he should that doesn't entitle you to a refund. However, if you say quit prior to game one yeah, that's actionable in a court of law. You paid for training, uniforms, field time, tournament play..etc that didn't happen. If you can prove you paid and prove the time line of what your son didn't get, and especially if they replaced your son and got money from that parent...yup actionable.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  14:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:

...There is no logical reason to pull a kid mid inning.

... but pulling mid inning only makes all the kids scared it will happen to them next...

The first comment summarizes ALL that is wrong in travel ball, in terms of the parents. There has been PLENTY of logical reasoning given here on this thread by coach's, and even parents, that shows plenty of reasons why mid-inning pulling would be appropriate.

Your second comment is just about as bad... Their "scared"? Why? Because coach (unlike mom and dad, maybe) has CONSEQUENCES for disrespectful/self-centered behavior/actions from the kids/players? It's call REAL LIFE. You don't perform (show effort in the way you're expected-- NOT just execution), you disregard instructions, you don't follow coach's rules, there are consequences. Just like in life.

Just because mom and dad don't discipline, doesn't mean coach shouldn't.

We seem to be talking about two different things.

If the kid misses a play and this results in a meltdown crying fit, or he tries to hurt another player, or coach says move left and he purposely ignores the coach and or flips him the bird then it is appropriate to sit the kid immediately. I told my son at 6u if I ever saw him throw a helmet/bat/glove out of anger I personally would march on the field and remove him myself, haven't had an issue.

If a kid boots a ball or two what is the harm in moving him for the rest of the inning and then pulling him between innings?

You are lucky if you haven't seen a kid playing scared. This results from coaches that are just frankly mentally unstable. How can you tell a kid is playing scared...when he makes an error he looks directly at the coach with fear in his eyes because he doesn't know if the coach is going to pull him, rip him a new one on the field, take him out of the batting order, sit him for the weekend, tell him he doesn't belong on this team....etc....THAT is a kid playing scared, he's scared of the coach and how he will retaliate, kind of harsh for a grade school kid to handle.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  17:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
parents are what is wrong with travel ball as no place meets parents standards. Same parents team hop like a pogo stick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000