New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

baseball713

60 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  17:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just watching Driven in between the Braves double header games today. They were featuring Andrew Jones. And when they got to the part where Bobby Cox pulled him out mid inning due to lack of effort, I thought of this discussion. I realize that is MLB and we are talking about youth baseball here. But even in MLB, it seemed like a very big deal and something that rarely happens based on the reaction of the announcers and how they highlighted it in the tv show.
Go to Top of Page

SheBalls

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  10:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've pulled a position player mid-inning one time in several years as a head coach. I told the kid three times to move a step into the grass at 3rd, but he insisted he was "fine" and refused to move. I finally just called time and pulled him. A minute later I turned around to find him packing up his stuff. Then as he walked off, with his Dad, he said, "Coach, if you ain't gonna treat me any better than that, you can kiss my a--." He was 12. And his Dad looked proud. I'm pretty sure I made the right call pulling him. Thankfully that was in the third inning of the season, so our team didn't have to deal with that kind of attitude for long.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

LOL

You guys are funny.

1.) Easy small claims suit to defend. Tournaments are prepaid, payment was a participation fee and facility fee and coach fee. Nothing left. Or alternatively player leaving caused team hardship and until they funds were replaced the team could not complete its season. Was not cut, playing time at coach discretion, whether they show up to sit bench is their choice. (Moral? Never ever pay in advance. Always set up a payment plan. Once the big check cashes all bets are off)

2.) Great idea. I usually try to go with the 3 strikes you are out for the day rule. But I now feel more empowered to deal with problem players after this advice. And I promise it will be far less frustrating to me so I won't lose my cool. New Policy: When I see a similar situation coming while observing warmups, I'll bat 9, and sub said player in to pinch run around the last inning. That way the player will be so much more happy than being removed mid inning from the field after those misguided repeated chances to improve attitude/effort. And since I know what's coming again for game 2 I'll just do the same again. I am so glad this will make everyone happy. Image if I only knew before today!

Cookies and Cream for everyone in 15 minutes!!!!

1. Then the coach should have no problem bringing in all cashed checks to prove when the tourneys, facility fees, and coaching fees were paid.

2. Really, I have no glitch with that for a few games...then moving up to him playing in the last 2 innings in a blow out or pool play to see if the kid has learned his lesson. If he has, and is skilled enough to be a starter, it may take him 2-3 tourneys and a LOT of work during practice to get back to where he was. Seriously, this is exactly how I have seen it done and it worked very well for coach and kid. In most situations the kid doesn't change and doesn't want to and parents get ticked and pull the kid off the team, well he didn't really want to be there anyway. In rare situations the kid buckles down and acts coachable, which is a win for the coach. I'd prefer my kid be on the bench thinking about how to improve his game and how to get back in it rather than at the mercy of an angry coach on the field.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SheBalls

I've pulled a position player mid-inning one time in several years as a head coach. I told the kid three times to move a step into the grass at 3rd, but he insisted he was "fine" and refused to move. I finally just called time and pulled him. A minute later I turned around to find him packing up his stuff. Then as he walked off, with his Dad, he said, "Coach, if you ain't gonna treat me any better than that, you can kiss my a--." He was 12. And his Dad looked proud. I'm pretty sure I made the right call pulling him. Thankfully that was in the third inning of the season, so our team didn't have to deal with that kind of attitude for long.

She balls you ever moved a kid 3 steps then the ball goes right where he was? Maybe it would have been a better learning experience had he stayed where he was and not gotten to the ball. I would not have pulled him mid inning. Maybe he got hit in the face one time playing further in? Maybe he would have made the play where he was, maybe he was fine? Maybe he was right? maybe you embarrassed him pulling him mid inning? Now I don't agree with what he said and how he said it but probably could have been better to let him fail on his own.

Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

LOL

You guys are funny.

1.) Easy small claims suit to defend. Tournaments are prepaid, payment was a participation fee and facility fee and coach fee. Nothing left. Or alternatively player leaving caused team hardship and until they funds were replaced the team could not complete its season. Was not cut, playing time at coach discretion, whether they show up to sit bench is their choice. (Moral? Never ever pay in advance. Always set up a payment plan. Once the big check cashes all bets are off)

2.) Great idea. I usually try to go with the 3 strikes you are out for the day rule. But I now feel more empowered to deal with problem players after this advice. And I promise it will be far less frustrating to me so I won't lose my cool. New Policy: When I see a similar situation coming while observing warmups, I'll bat 9, and sub said player in to pinch run around the last inning. That way the player will be so much more happy than being removed mid inning from the field after those misguided repeated chances to improve attitude/effort. And since I know what's coming again for game 2 I'll just do the same again. I am so glad this will make everyone happy. Image if I only knew before today!

Haven't seen a parent that lost a case when they left a team yet. No matter if it's prepaid. Heard that argument in court before, Judge said so what, the kid is no longer available to participate in those tournaments and therefore should be reimbursed the difference. It's like paying for services not rendered. No hardship when other players are added. All bets are never off. Like these guys running roofing scams. Garnishments and Liens are easy. Never and I mean NEVER pay the full amount. No way to keep them honest if you do. Have yet to see a team that prepaid for ALL tournaments for an upcoming season.

Unlike these buckwads, when I coached my teams and a player left, I always gave parents back their difference. Just a situation where things didn't workout or a kid was injured and done for the season. Usually 2-4 tournaments were paid in advanced, not for the entire season. To me it's just the right thing to do. Takes too much effort to bs people.

Played at EC several years ago in fall, a daddy ball coach, played his son and his buddies kids that had never even played positions before. Has a paid coach come in and never works with 3 particular kids but says one kid needs pitching lessons? Over charges like crazy for a season, bottom line plays a couple of kids that never made practice first tournament. 3 players leave me being one, tells me we dont get any money back but makes us turn in uniform, and everything we paid for. EC doesn't even respond to emails. I said let it go and move one. Team was a time bomb waiting to explode and did in the spring.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  13:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bkball

quote:
Originally posted by SheBalls

She balls you ever moved a kid 3 steps then the ball goes right where he was? Maybe it would have been a better learning experience had he stayed where he was and not gotten to the ball. I would not have pulled him mid inning. Maybe he got hit in the face one time playing further in? Maybe he would have made the play where he was, maybe he was fine? Maybe he was right? maybe you embarrassed him pulling him mid inning? Now I don't agree with what he said and how he said it but probably could have been better to let him fail on his own.

Cheese and crackers, the kid and his family were obviously toxic. That is not a stretch considering how they handled the situation and yet we still people defending the kid. News flash, it is about team, not "he maybe got hit once, so he can ignore coach" if you are afraid of the baseball you have zero business playing travel baseball.
Third inning of the season and the kid quits and the coach is to blame? Please. I am starting to think we have to many Facebook people on this site now. There are definitely a lot of "folks" who have never been in a dugout once in their lives with a lot to say about how to run a team of young men.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  16:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bring reciepts LOL. You pay to be on the team that is the cost to play for your kid. I saw a earlier post that made sense. Why not pull a kid for a better defensive player just as you would a better offensive one. You play to win the Game..signed Herm
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  17:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to pull kids just to see how the kid and the parents would handle it. True character comes out when little Johnny gets pinch hit for, and that is the first time that has ever happened to him.

I read on this website in a subject line I can't remember, but it was about what a 643 coach said at one of their tryouts. Something along the lines of he was looking for kids that have sat the first 5 innings of a game but when called upon to pinch hit he is ready because he has been in the game mentally, impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  17:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there absolutely no player expectations in competitive travel/tournament ball now? Has it really gotten this bad outside the fencing? It appears to have truly morphed into some strange level of do what you want individually cause I paid a team oriented fee. It don't work that way.

Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  19:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you pay to go to kings dominion and once inside decide to go to wally world i doubt you get a refund
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a lot of peopled have been fooled to believe there is no resolution. Keep in mind that without your money and your kid, they do not exist. These teams need you, it's not like you need them. These guys remind me of the Nigerian Prince scam, just ask for more and more money, from tryout fees to special trainers, who are what I call failures at the game, charging insane amounts for useless training. Pay for a tryout?????? You have to be kidding me!!!! That's my 1st Red Flag. You need us, we do not need you. Nothing but crooks and thieves in my opinion. It's a cash cow for the failed.

Tryout Fee:
Registration Fee:
Walk on the Field Fee:
Pre-Fee for the New Fee:
Team Fee:
Coach Fee:
Water Fee:
Fee for bringing you own gear:
Fee for playing for another team last season:
Readiness Fee:
Fee for expecting more:
Performance Fee:
Pre-tournament Fee:
After tournament Fee:
Special training Fee by some jerk:
Dealing with youth Fee:
Cleat Fee:
Pitching Fee:
Catching Fee:
Daddy Ball Fee:

I could go on. This is all before the real cost of uniforms and tournaments come into play. No fundraisers, no 501c3, no sponsors????? It's an all cash business. Money Laundering/Ponzie scheme at it's best and worst. Ever heard of Bernie Madoff???

743: Dad coaching with kid on team. NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! Would he be there if his kid wasn't playing?? I bet he never coached a team that his kid didn't play on.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/13/2017 00:20:31
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  00:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 743

quote:

quote:

LOL

You guys are funny.

Haven't seen a parent that lost a case when they left a team yet. No matter if it's prepaid. Heard that argument in court before, Judge said so what, the kid is no longer available to participate in those tournaments and therefore should be reimbursed the difference. It's like paying for services not rendered. No hardship when other players are added. All bets are never off. Like these guys running roofing scams. Garnishments and Liens are easy. Never and I mean NEVER pay the full amount. No way to keep them honest if you do. Have yet to see a team that prepaid for ALL tournaments for an upcoming season.

Unlike these buckwads, when I coached my teams and a player left, I always gave parents back their difference. Just a situation where things didn't workout or a kid was injured and done for the season. Usually 2-4 tournaments were paid in advanced, not for the entire season. To me it's just the right thing to do. Takes too much effort to bs people.

Played at EC several years ago in fall, a daddy ball coach, played his son and his buddies kids that had never even played positions before. Has a paid coach come in and never works with 3 particular kids but says one kid needs pitching lessons? Over charges like crazy for a season, bottom line plays a couple of kids that never made practice first tournament. 3 players leave me being one, tells me we dont get any money back but makes us turn in uniform, and everything we paid for. EC doesn't even respond to emails. I said let it go and move one. Team was a time bomb waiting to explode and did in the spring.

How does he make you turn in uniform and everything you paid for?
I really have to hear that part.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  07:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Sheballs, in that case the kid broke your deal (i.e. he wasn't trying to be coached, and he was being disrespectful) and I think it was a GREAT idea to pull him.
2. Some dad coaches are good. And some paid coaches are BAD. Bes suggestion would be to let the kid practice with the coach for all of 20 minutes, the kid will know if the coach is full of it or actually knows something.
3. I have no problem paying a try out fee. Fields, coaches, equipment...all of this takes money. I do have a problem paying for mandatory lessons by the coaches. If coach wants to offer lessons fine, but it shouldn't be mandatory and it shouldn't dictate who takes the field.
4. Mikepayne, pinch hitting for the kid is a FAR cry from removing him from the field mid inning. Again, if the team is up by 10 send in anyone who hasn't been playing much for an inning or two. It gives the starters a break, you can see how they handle being replaced, and it gives the bench kid a shot at showing what he has.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  09:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2. Some dad coaches are good. And some paid coaches are BAD.

True, but you want to remove the any element of daddy ball. I saw a game this past weekend where the SS went 1 for 15 fielding. Missing every ball coming his way even from the catcher throwing down. Coach still left him there as he allowed run after run to score. Wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together. And this was a major team or supposed to be major.

3. I have no problem paying a try out fee. Fields, coaches, equipment...all of this takes money.

I understand it takes money. It's part of the risk that a team takes when looking for players. That cost should be recouped from the players picked on the team, not from everyone who shows up or registers. The problem I have is some are charging close to $150 and have over 100 kids out there. That's 15K upfront without even doing anything. Most of the time they already have players they want.

When they tell you "it's a business" you better believe them. It's all about the money no matter what. Worse than used car salesmen with a lot full of lemons. Just look at the tryout postings. They ask for money first even before seeing a kid. Trying to sell empty promises all while padding their pockets with your hard earned $$$.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  10:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2. Some dad coaches are good. And some paid coaches are BAD.

True, but you want to remove the any element of daddy ball. I saw a game this past weekend where the SS went 1 for 15 fielding. Missing every ball coming his way even from the catcher throwing down. Coach still left him there as he allowed run after run to score. Wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together. And this was a major team or supposed to be major.

3. I have no problem paying a try out fee. Fields, coaches, equipment...all of this takes money.

I understand it takes money. It's part of the risk that a team takes when looking for players. That cost should be recouped from the players picked on the team, not from everyone who shows up or registers. The problem I have is some are charging close to $150 and have over 100 kids out there. That's 15K upfront without even doing anything. Most of the time they already have players they want.

When they tell you "it's a business" you better believe them. It's all about the money no matter what. Worse than used car salesmen with a lot full of lemons. Just look at the tryout postings. They ask for money first even before seeing a kid. Trying to sell empty promises all while padding their pockets with your hard earned $$$.

I think daddy ball is prevalent at the younger ages, past 14u though if your kid is truly serious he should go to a non-dad coach.

I think charging even just $25 for a tryout would keep the kids away that aren't actually serious about playing for you. So you have 50 kids at one tryout date, you spend a lot of time looking at one kid in particular, have conversations with other coaches, maybe even the owner of the facility...hey watch this kid....then you offer him a spot and he says no thank you I already have a team. What a freaking waste of time!
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like every situation that has ever occurred. I can't tell who was right who was wrong without being there. I know many a coach that is a complete "ass" thinks they know it all can not be told anything by anyone. Think it's their way or the highway and have ruined some baseball players future in the game. "if you are afraid of the baseball you have zero business playing travel baseball" You obviously never played baseball, if you are not afraid of the baseball you are an idiot! Again a good coach would work with a kid and build his confidence to become less afraid of the baseball. I know kids who had their face reconstructed after being hit with batted and pitched balls you think they are afraid of the baseball? I have seen many a daddy ball coach do things to other kids they would not do to their own kid, pulling them mid inning or pretending now to see them screw up letting them play a position even though they are not the best option, but I am coaching I have that right. Bunting them every time they get up with a man on first base so they can pad that average with a sac if an out is made but record a hit if everyone is safe. Lets be honest most but "not" all travel coaches are doing it for the money or for a spot for their son, because they don't want others doing what they do to others kids. Some are great some are not. Even Travel baseball should not be about winning games. You want to know how good you are as a coach, look at your roster from year to year and see how many play the next season. Should you pull a kid mid inning I say No! Between innings tell them without the whole park hearing it, tell the player if he can't make the adjustment he will come out, but do it after the inning is over. Some coaches think it shows authority if I pull a kid mid inning in front of everyone, teaches them a lesson. Even if its your own kid it is not right to pull them mid inning. What's the harm in waiting for the 3rd out.
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  11:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To most baseball people there is a difference between getting pulled mid-inning and getting pinch hit for. When you bring parents into the mix you have to add a high percentage of emotion, hence they are usually butt hurt either way. I am not immune to this myself as I sit in the outfield and sometimes question coach. Life and baseball are about how you handle situations when things are not great, that is when true colors come out.
The kid that quit and cussed at the coach with dad standing proudly by would have probably done the same thing had he been pinch hit for.

I also do not think a tryout fee is out of line, unless you charge $50 or more and have dozens come tryout and then do not field a team!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  14:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bkball, there is a HUGE difference in having respect for the baseball and being afraid of the baseball. You can respect that driving around a race track at 200+mph could kill you, but if you are afraid of it killing you you will never make it to 200mph.

Much like baseball, you can respect the potential of destruction that the baseball can do, but if you are afraid of it you won't make it in this game and that isn't on a coach to coax you into loving it. If a kid got hit, had to have surgery and never wanted to play again I would say that was 100% understandable. However, if a kid loves the sport he will get past it himself, again, not involving the coach.

Mikepayne, you don't want butt hurt parents, and there shouldn't be a high percentage of emotion. If they don't like you then they don't like you...not your loss. Run the team how you see fit, however, if you see a mass Exodus every year you may want to reevaluate your coaching style.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  15:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

bkball, there is a HUGE difference in having respect for the baseball and being afraid of the baseball. You can respect that driving around a race track at 200+mph could kill you, but if you are afraid of it killing you you will never make it to 200mph.

Much like baseball, you can respect the potential of destruction that the baseball can do, but if you are afraid of it you won't make it in this game and that isn't on a coach to coax you into loving it. If a kid got hit, had to have surgery and never wanted to play again I would say that was 100% understandable. However, if a kid loves the sport he will get past it himself, again, not involving the coach.

Tell that to Jason Heyward right after he was hit, but yeah I get what you are saying, and the bottom line of the post is a coach or this coach could have waited until the 3rd out to pull the kid.
I wonder what has more of a positive effect a coach telling a kid to move and him making a great play or telling a player to move him not moving and missing a ball he would have caught? Any psychology people out there?
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  17:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mikepayne, you don't want butt hurt parents, and there shouldn't be a high percentage of emotion. If they don't like you then they don't like you...not your loss. Run the team how you see fit, however, if you see a mass Exodus every year you may want to reevaluate your coaching style.

I am out of the coaching game (praise Jesus). Kept every kid we ever wanted to keep for the most part. Some went on to major teams a couple just went on. Kept 90% of our players from 9u thru 13u and I can promise you this, if your kid was afraid of the baseball he would not have been on our team.
I know your kid, and he attacks the baseball. I am speaking to bkball, if your kid is afraid of the ball change sports please.

I remember 8u ALLSTAR TRYOUTS and if the kid flinched when the coach threw the ball hard to him, he would not make the team.

Go to Top of Page

catmando

107 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  20:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of mass exodus how many of you have even stayed on 1 team more than a year?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  07:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catmando

speaking of mass exodus how many of you have even stayed on 1 team more than a year?

My son started travel ball at 9u, he stayed on that team until the end of 12u. He would have stayed another year but I asked him to play 14u instead of 13u so he would have a better chance of being ready for HS ball since he was going into 9th grade at age 13.
Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  11:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kids playing scared is a sad, sad thing, and shows that a coach has their priorities wrong. If kids make mistakes, it's the coach's job to make that kid better. That's what parents pay money for (if not, then the parent's priorities may be off). Development & opportunity. If a kid can't play loose, they'll never play at their full potential, IMHO. Pulling a kid shows me that the coach hasn't done their job. If it's, "hey, let's work more in practice and get you back in there," fine. But unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case most times. Coaches want to manage more than coach. That's too easy and lazy. They're kids. Turn on the TV. Pros make mistakes.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:

...There is no logical reason to pull a kid mid inning.

... but pulling mid inning only makes all the kids scared it will happen to them next...

The first comment summarizes ALL that is wrong in travel ball, in terms of the parents. There has been PLENTY of logical reasoning given here on this thread by coach's, and even parents, that shows plenty of reasons why mid-inning pulling would be appropriate.

Your second comment is just about as bad... Their "scared"? Why? Because coach (unlike mom and dad, maybe) has CONSEQUENCES for disrespectful/self-centered behavior/actions from the kids/players? It's call REAL LIFE. You don't perform (show effort in the way you're expected-- NOT just execution), you disregard instructions, you don't follow coach's rules, there are consequences. Just like in life.

Just because mom and dad don't discipline, doesn't mean coach shouldn't.

We seem to be talking about two different things.

If the kid misses a play and this results in a meltdown crying fit, or he tries to hurt another player, or coach says move left and he purposely ignores the coach and or flips him the bird then it is appropriate to sit the kid immediately. I told my son at 6u if I ever saw him throw a helmet/bat/glove out of anger I personally would march on the field and remove him myself, haven't had an issue.

If a kid boots a ball or two what is the harm in moving him for the rest of the inning and then pulling him between innings?

You are lucky if you haven't seen a kid playing scared. This results from coaches that are just frankly mentally unstable. How can you tell a kid is playing scared...when he makes an error he looks directly at the coach with fear in his eyes because he doesn't know if the coach is going to pull him, rip him a new one on the field, take him out of the batting order, sit him for the weekend, tell him he doesn't belong on this team....etc....THAT is a kid playing scared, he's scared of the coach and how he will retaliate, kind of harsh for a grade school kid to handle.

Go to Top of Page

tbaillie2

120 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  23:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catmando

Mine... probably to his development detriment, but he did.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  18:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So everyone has been on the same 14u team all year? that is a good thing but if not let us know why?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000