Cracked Bats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

labaseball2022

12 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  15:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question:
How bad of a crack does a bat have to have to be "illegal" in game play?

Walking to my kids game today at Lakepoint and I see a coach from a team yelling at Perfect Game Official about a cracked bat being illegal and that it was BS that they were going to allow the opposing team to continue to use it. Coach was screaming at the PG official about "lawsuits if my kids get hurt" etc.

Parents from several other teams around that particular field were saying the bat sounded odd and was "corked".

So what say ye?

BTW I was on PG site to find the rules for that age group and I saw an article posted about the team that was using the questionable bat.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14068

No wonder the PG guys were not wanting to cause issue with the team that came that far and they were writing an article on :-) Umpires wanted the bat gone, PG said it was cool on the field.

Edited by - labaseball2022 on 06/20/2017 15:45:57

Ryno23

123 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  05:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this a wood bat, or a composite/aluminum?

I know that when my boys were younger, composite bats would crack and seem to perform better with a slight crack in the barrel. Some umpires would pick up on it and ban the bat after an at bat, and others had no issue with it. Seems this is the same type of situation!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  07:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this was 13u, so not sure there are any governing rules. However, had it been high school:

NFHS Section 3, Article 2
The bat shall have the following characteristics and components.
a. Each legal wood, aluminum or composite bat shall:
1. Be one piece, multi-pieces and permanently assembled, or two pieces with interchangeable barrel construction.
2. Not have exposed rivets, pins, rough or sharp edges or any form of exterior fastener that would present a hazard.
3. Be free of rattles, dents, burrs, cracks and sharp edges. Bats that are broken, altered or that deface the ball are illegal. Materials inside the bat or treatments/devices used to alter the bat specifications and/or enhance performance are prohibited and render the bat illegal.

Edited by - CaCO3Girl on 06/21/2017 08:41:43
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  16:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know about that composite crack thing. Yesterday in a game my son hit a ball with his composite, line drive to 3rd, but the sound off the bat was weird and it seemed to have the sound and pop of a wet 2 by 4. After the game, there is about a 4 to 5 inch crack down the length of the barrel. I would think once the bat is cracked it has lost it's performance. Not an expert on these things, but don't know how a cracked bat can be to one's advantage.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryno23

Was this a wood bat, or a composite/aluminum?

I know that when my boys were younger, composite bats would crack and seem to perform better with a slight crack in the barrel. Some umpires would pick up on it and ban the bat after an at bat, and others had no issue with it. Seems this is the same type of situation!

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on how deep the crack is. Since there are many layers of composite material used in construction of a bat, this may just be a surface layer crack. As the resin breaks down the barrel will become more flexible which will result in a lower compression number. To sum it up the cracked barrel bat may be hotter than one not cracked because the layer of the crack has broken down completely (failed). Thinner usable layers will make the ball bounce off the barrel with more force or pop as some people will call it.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/24/2017 22:17:26
Go to Top of Page

Ump Nation Georgia

33 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  10:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worse than a sewing circle. The bat was only called to the attention of the PG staff after the Broncos started beating some very good teams. The Umpire in Chief at LakePoint looked at the bat that had the proper USSSA BPF 1.15 stamp on it. The bat had a small surface crack, but was not deemed altered or defective and was put back into play. At the conclusion of the game, the bat was taken by the PG staff to Better Baseball to have it analyzed. The batted checked out fine by the staff at Better Baseball and was returned to the team before their game the next morning. 13u baseball should be played with BBCOR in my opinion, but under current rules for the event, he Broncos did nothing wrong...that can be proven anyway.
Go to Top of Page

labaseball2022

12 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  16:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting. Good to hear it was checked out and all was good and the other coach was just hot.

I did look at the game score after posting hear and the team beat the broncos in that game with very few hits. Either way, glad it was worked out.

Just funny to see a coach get that hot and the other team defend a bat so much.

I also agree that 13U 60/90 should be played with BBCOR.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000