General Discussion
 Teams after 14u
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

line_drive

7 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  21:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a long time lurker on these boards and I find most people here are quite knowledgeable across the age spectrum to where I have always found an answer to my question without asking. I thank y'all for that! I am asking this question here because the 15u board is not active. How exactly do the teams work after 14u? Is there really a 15u age group or does it become 16u? How does the season work with high school ball for most travel teams? Do most teams play all summer to where you can't have a family vacation outside of a baseball tournament?

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience as a coach and when my kid played a few observations.

1. Most do play fall to get ready for school tryouts at age 15 and at older ages 16 17 most play to give recruiters a look before they enter their JR or Sr year. My kids team had almost every kid go DIV 1 and played in the fall as that is when recruiters are not working as much and the team i coach IE 15u has kids who need work before tryouts as most are rising 9th graders

2. Most coaches and kids all know each other by now and instead of the big tryouts (except those who do it to make money) everyone knows everyone and its more word of mouth and or teams are really only looking to add a few kids.

3. Rosters get bigger so sometimes teams get fewer and by this time there are no dad coaches.

Those are not hard truths just what i have seen and experienced.
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  09:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly there are 15U teams. If they are good enough they can play 15 and 16U tournaments. Some kids still play football so fall is sort of pickup where you can and play or if the majority of kids are not playing football some teams do play a fall tournament circuit. As far as the season starting it usually begins after everyone has finished their HS state playoffs. You might start with 6-8 kids working out and practicing then as teams lose in the playoffs more start coming out and you usually begin playing tournaments around Mid to late May through then end of July.
Some teams take a week off between big Perfect Game tournaments some do not it all depends on what the level is of the team. Some 15U teams are trying to get players college commitments some are just trying to stay sharp or get extra playing time.
Some play all Perfect Game 15 and 16, some play all smaller tournaments some play both, some go play tournaments at Colleges as well as PG and local tournaments. Some even travel to Florida for exposure.
whits23 did you coach your son when he was 15? I have still seen both dad's coaching and no dad coaches at 15 but I agree the majority are "non" dad coaches.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  15:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not coach my son at 15 i stopped at 10u (except 1 year due to a team needing a coach) i am not a fan of kids being coached by their parents. I started a 10u team for my younger son and cut him in the first round of tryouts. Mom was not happy but kid had a great soccer career and had i made him play for me he would have never enjoyed that.

I coach River Bandits Baseball now and we are going to 15u so we will play 3-4 fall and about 7 spring. We will be adding a few players as well.

People do not understand that recruiters are on a tight budget and also do not travel much to see kids during school season as they also are at school and you do not see as many kids at a school game. I do not think 15u is about getting recruited as they can not sign or be signed but never hurts to get on the radar. Hopefully the thread wont turn into a debate on that. Good stuff thanks..
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  07:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you on everything you said except kids getting recruited at 15? We had a big D-1 school's recruiting coordinator attend 2 games to watch one of our players a couple of weeks ago. He is one of our older rising Juniors with a May birthday so that might be the difference I guess, but you are right, it is certainly not the norm. I will say what surprises me is most of the early commits I have seen over the past 5 or 6 years going into their Junior years the schools stuck with those kids. I really thought most would pull the offers 2 years later but so far I haven't seen a lot of that.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  09:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by line_drive

I am a long time lurker on these boards and I find most people here are quite knowledgeable across the age spectrum to where I have always found an answer to my question without asking. I thank y'all for that! I am asking this question here because the 15u board is not active. How exactly do the teams work after 14u? Is there really a 15u age group or does it become 16u? How does the season work with high school ball for most travel teams? Do most teams play all summer to where you can't have a family vacation outside of a baseball tournament?

1. Yes there is a 15u group
2. 15u typically starts mid May, as opposed to the end of February, and will go until August. This time period doesn't affect the kids on the high school teams.
3. 15u and up do play most of the summer, so unless it is a baseball vacation like the BCS in FT. Myers I don't see you having a "normal" family vacation.
4. The tournaments the higher level kids will play will be week long events that cost 2-5 times the amount of the old TC events, so don't think the cost will go down by playing less baseball.
5. Fall ball is alive and well, but hindered by Football. Many teams take the fall to fine tune their pitching/catching players, then shut down for a bit and ramp them back up for High School Tryouts in January.

WHITS23, I disagree agree strongly that 15u isn't about recruiting. I think 9th grade a few get looks, I think 10th grade is a HUGE recruiting year with 11th grade being the peak of recruiting. Many 15u kids are in 9th or 10th and I think that is when they start getting on people's radars.

I agree about the limited time a coach has to look at kids and because that they will go to PG for 1 week and watch 150 teams play. i.e. if your kid wants to play in college and isn't playing with a team at 15u and or 16u that are playing in these events they better have another way of being seen. And while nothing is truly official until the NLI is signed in their senior year many rising 9th and 10th graders are getting offers and are committing. Whether that offer will be honored in 2-3 years is another matter...but these coaches are looking at kids earlier and earlier.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  16:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so much misinformation on this thread and its a shame it turned into a recruiting thread.

NO KID CAN GET OR SIGN ANYTHING AT 15 PERIOD END OF STORY. You can co mitt anywhere you want that does not mean they are comitted to you or you have any offer. Many do it just to see that next to their name as hard to believe as that is.

I dare you to name any kid who has signed an offer at age 15 and the school they have done it at? does not happen and can not happen end of story.

IF you can play you do not have to play PG its a lot of
hype. I had 2 kids from a team get recruited playing in a random college camp event. If you have VELO you can get in so yes there are teams after 14 and yes they play fall and spring.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  17:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cocoa you disagree and then agreed with what i said

I said get on radar if your a top talent that is not same as recruiting.

Recruiting is official visits and getting offers in writing.

And i can tell you most RC who you see at 15 will not be in that job when your 17. Those guys are low end of totem pole and not paid much more than a low paid travel coach. The budget is so small you would be amazed.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  07:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarley

so much misinformation on this thread and its a shame it turned into a recruiting thread.

NO KID CAN GET OR SIGN ANYTHING AT 15 PERIOD END OF STORY. You can co mitt anywhere you want that does not mean they are comitted to you or you have any offer. Many do it just to see that next to their name as hard to believe as that is.

I dare you to name any kid who has signed an offer at age 15 and the school they have done it at? does not happen and can not happen end of story.

hype. I had 2 kids from a team get recruited playing in a random college camp event. If you have VELO you can get in so yes there are teams after 14 and yes they play fall and spring.

Now who is giving misinformation? In the last 50 days the following have committed according to PG:

2021's = 4
2020's = 20
2019's = 60

https://www.perfectgame.org/College/RecentCommitments.aspx

So as for your I dare anyone to list the 15 year old that has committed and their school, feel free to click the link for information on both.

The fact is until the NLI is signed in their senior year nothing is in stone...not if you commit when you are 14 or if you commit one day before the NLI day, but there are offers. Some of these offers are accepted, some are not. Some are pulled prior to NLI day and some are firm on NLI day. It depends on the kid, if they projected him correctly, and if he has lived up to the hype in both school and on the field. But it DOES happen.

There is a top 1%, a top 10% and then there are the rest. If you are in the top 10% in velo, no, you don't have to set foot on a PG field, although in my opinion you would be silly not to. I'm not saying pay $650 for a showcase, I'm talking about us being in North GA, all within an hour or so of Lakepoint, where many coaches congregate to see the best of the best and write down kids names.

You have to be seen to get on the radar to be recruited.
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  11:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarley

Not sure if anyone in the thread said SIGNED at 15 but "committed". Only a crazy would commit to a school that did not offer you. As I said most of the commitments I have seen early the college has stuck with those players and honoured those spots. Not really sure why the thread turning into a recruiting thing is so bad either. But you are right if you can throw hard and pitch you will get offers no doubt about it no matter where you play. Catchers probably next and a player that can run and I mean really run. If you are an above average player but not great you better attend some camps and you are more likely to get looked at during a PG tournament if your team makes bracket play or you play against a team that has a player other coaches and scouts are looking at. An average player or slightly above is not really going to turn any big schools heads, that is just the truth of it.
Go to Top of Page

bbsis

42 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  10:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many consider Ft. Myers/any out of state tournament a "family vacation?" It might be a "family" trip if you have to take younger siblings but is it truly a "vacation" driving from field to field, waiting out rain delays, doing laundry in the hotel every night? Anybody have any experience taking a week off of baseball for a real vacation? Will your kid sit on the bench for the rest of the summer?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  18:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbsis

How many consider Ft. Myers/any out of state tournament a "family vacation?" It might be a "family" trip if you have to take younger siblings but is it truly a "vacation" driving from field to field, waiting out rain delays, doing laundry in the hotel every night? Anybody have any experience taking a week off of baseball for a real vacation? Will your kid sit on the bench for the rest of the summer?

I'm in Ft Myers and it is my vacation, why, because I'm spending a week away from work. I can't do two weeks away from work in the summer. Also, not staying in a hotel and not doing laundry every night.

Baseball is a family commitment until they drive...that's just how it is if they are good at it.
Go to Top of Page

line_drive

7 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  21:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. It is always interesting to see how the threads move. I asked about 15u because I have seen more trending to grad year versus age. My son is not a major level player and definitely not on any list of The Who's Who in 14u baseball unless you count the PG All tournament team listing (which I don't.) He was one of the top players on a lackluster team, is an effective pitcher (lots of ground outs and pop ups), but doesn't throw heat, is fast on the bases and at this time has a short term goal of playing high school ball and finding a better team for next spring/summer. I do not consider a week at a baseball tournament a vacation, but I also think there can be fun in it. I have more than 1 kid who plays so no summer vacation is revolving around any single one. I asked about vacations to help the grandparents find a better week for the beach house so perhaps I should have asked if there is a more common week that there aren't tournaments?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  09:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For 14u and below they are typically done by mid July. 15u is not. If you are only concerned about high school the week of July 4th is a dead week where NO one practices, not even football.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000