New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  12:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would you rank the top schools for baseball in GA?
Primarily interested in D1 and D2. I understand that other things factor into a school other than baseball, but since this is a baseball board I am referring exclusively to the baseball programs. Teams/ coaches/player satisfaction, etc.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  07:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The majority of people on this board have kids 6-15, as in not very knowledgeable about the college scene. Have you thought about asking on the high school baseball web?
Go to Top of Page

LvilleBarons

13 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  09:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the old saying goes, "Follow the Money". Schools that spend the most money in their programs usually have better players, coaches, trainers, facilities, etc.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  11:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, Georgia and Georgia Tech are the premier programs in the state. Other D1s include Georgia State, Georgia Southern and Mercer. All are solid mid-level D1 programs.

In terms of D2, you've got Columbus State, North Georgia, Augusta State, West Georgia, Valdosta, Georgia Southwestern, Young Harris and Georgia College. These are the ones that come to mind. I may have missed one. Last year, North Georgia went to the D2 World Series and have built themselves a pretty good program. Columbus State is always near the top in D2 baseball and Georgia College has a good history. I think West Georgia and Valdosta are fairly competitive in their conferences, although not as successful as the Peachbelt Conference teams. At the bottom would be Young Harris, Georgia Southwestern and Augusta. Although I'd put Augusta slightly above YH and Southwestern.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  11:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For D1, I would say GT, Mercer, Ga. Southern then a toss up. Georgia is loaded with talent and for some reason the in-state colleges start recruiting late, so a lot of talent going out of state.

Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  13:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GT, UGA, #1 and #2,
GA Southern Mercer and KSU Ga State all about the same.
They can not compete
with the big Oklahoma's etc... they attract the better players.
I agree with bballman on his rankings.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  15:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bkball

GT, UGA, #1 and #2,
GA Southern Mercer and KSU Ga State all about the same.
They can not compete
with the big Oklahoma's etc... they attract the better players.
I agree with bballman on his rankings.

Not sure how I forgot about Kennesaw State. Good call bkball. Yeah, I'd put them with Southern and Ga State. Good solid program, but a mid-level team for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  17:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if the BigU goes deeper into recruiting 8th and 9th graders who haven't yet thrown the first high school pitch on Varsity, come from the same travel teams the coaches are cozy with, and collect all the velocity readings they can to decision make................then these smaller more personal schools will close the gap when the BigU rosters began to collect 4 year out duds that never learned how to win or compete for wins while focused on raw velocity and cute pajama uniforms.
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  23:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Berry College? Reinhardt?
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  08:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mercer beat Univ. of Ga. both times they played last year, KSU also beat them. They were 25-32 on the year.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  09:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by agent21

What about Berry College? Reinhardt?

Berry is a D3 school, Reinhardt is an NAIA. There are other D3 and NAIA schools in Ga, but the OP asked about D1 & D2.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  09:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

Mercer beat Univ. of Ga. both times they played last year, KSU also beat them. They were 25-32 on the year.

There's no question that Georgia has been in a low spot the last few years. But it's still Georgia and they still play in the SEC, so I would consider them a premier program above the other mid-level D1 programs. Baseball is a funny game. If you look at the rosters of any D1 team, and most D2 teams, they are filled with kids that were all-region or all-state and the absolute stud on their team and in their conference. The biggest differences between the D1, mid-level D1 and D2 is depth and size. D1 will have the biggest, fastest kids and their pitching staffs will be MUCH deeper. Mid-level D1 and D2 will have kids that can flat out play, but may not be the cream of the crop in terms of a combination of size and speed. Their top pitchers will be able to compete with anyone, but as you move down the ladder, the gap between D1, mid D1 and D2 will become larger. This is why you will see the lower level teams come in and beat the powerhouses. Mid D1s and top D2s are not slouch teams by any stretch of the imagination. They play VERY competitive baseball.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  11:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Granted UGA plays in a tough conference, but that shouldn't be an excuse for continuing to not perform; especially, given the talent here in Georgia. Most of the kids leaving to go out of state would probably commit to them, if they would offer earlier. I know a lot of coaches frown on committing kids before their junior year, but from UGA's previous years of poor performances, maybe they should try something different.
They really haven't done anything since 2008, so I would be leery of listing them as a "premier' program.
Go to Top of Page

JClemente

13 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  12:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgia Gwinnett College baseball is one of the top NAIA baseball colleges in the nation. They were #1 in the nation a few weeks this past season and finished in the top 10. Their last three seasons have been excellent with multiple players drafted. They are underrated and definitely could compete with some of the larger schools:

2014-2015: 50-14
2015-2016: 57-6
2016-2017: 40-21

http://www.grizzlyathletics.com/sport/0/3.php
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  12:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgia developed a VERY bad reputation of over recruiting under the old coach - Perno. I think a lot of kids shied away from signing there because they either got told there was no room or they had to go play at a JUCO until they were ready to come back to Georgia. They've had a new coach for the last several years and I think they are starting to improve with their recruiting class. Looking at their website, the 2016 recruiting class was ranked #3 nationally. I'm not saying they are a premier program because they are a great program right now. I'm saying they are a premier program because they play in the SEC and their facilities, traveling, field, and everything that goes along with playing at a big school in the SEC are top notch. You can play at some VERY good mid-level D1s and top level D2s and the atmosphere and facilities will not be near what a big SEC or other powerhouse school provides.

Look, I'm not defending Georgia or their recent history. They have some work to do and they started it with hiring a new coach a few years ago. But, there is nothing like playing in the SEC at a big school. Just sayin...
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  13:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Granted UGA plays in a tough conference, but that shouldn't be an excuse for continuing to not perform; especially, given the talent here in Georgia. Most of the kids leaving to go out of state would probably commit to them, if they would offer earlier. I know a lot of coaches frown on committing kids before their junior year, but from UGA's previous years of poor performances, maybe they should try something different.
They really haven't done anything since 2008, so I would be leery of listing them as a "premier' program.

Many of the elite kids are getting wise to committing before their junior year. Too many kids that didn't live up to their potential, too many coaches having to pull offers. Personally the fact that UGA hasn't followed that train wreck of a practice is a huge plus for me.
Go to Top of Page

catmando

107 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  13:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GWC is not on the same level as DIV ! teams by any standard..academically or on the field. Good for a NAIA but still the jv team in every way
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  09:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, I would have to see some statistics on that and not just innuendo. Every player is a risk, that's why you better have really good scouts evaluating talent. The bad thing (or maybe not) is, no one will evaluate a player the same way and evaluating players is not easy, talent is in the eye of the beholder.
Most of the top players in each graduating class will get committed before their junior year, you can see this on the PG website. Also, the top D1 programs will have at least 8 to 10 players committed early, by current standards, which by the way are changing, like it or not.
Personally, I feel the kids are way more advanced at a much younger age than they used to be, so it's not a huge risk to sign them earlier.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the top 25 college rankings by player commitment for the 2019 class, per PG. These are also the who's who of college baseball, so I would imagine committing early is paying off for some. Also, notice no Georgia teams listed.

2019 commitments
1 Vanderbilt 17
2 Florida 14
3 Miami 13
4 Oklahoma 16
5 Louisiana State 11
6 TCU 12
7 Clemson 11
8 Southern California 8
9 Virginia 14
10 Mississippi State 9
11 Florida State 8
12 Texas 12
13 Louisville 12
14 South Carolina 12
15 Alabama 11
16 North Carolina 8
17 Arkansas 9
18 Texas A&M 9
19 Kentucky 10
20 Arizona 9
21 Maryland 12
22 Mississippi 10
23 Duke 12
24 San Diego 8
25 Oklahoma State 7

Of these 25 teams, 15 players are from Georgia.

Edited by - bama21 on 08/23/2017 11:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Gadawg93

7 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  11:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly these rankings skew how the classes eventually end up. Most of the top committed players will be drafted and never go to college. For example, last year UGA was not in the top 25 for recruiting but after the draft they moved all the way up to have a top 5 class because the higher rated players/commits opted to turn professional.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  12:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rankings will fluctuate for any number of reasons, draft being one of them. My point is, if you need to commit early to keep talent in Ga., then commit early.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  13:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

These are the top 25 college rankings by player commitment for the 2019 class, per PG. These are also the who's who of college baseball, so I would imagine committing early is paying off for some. Also, notice no Georgia teams listed.

2019 commitments
1 Vanderbilt 17
2 Florida 14
3 Miami 13
4 Oklahoma 16
5 Louisiana State 11
6 TCU 12
7 Clemson 11
8 Southern California 8
9 Virginia 14
10 Mississippi State 9
11 Florida State 8
12 Texas 12
13 Louisville 12
14 South Carolina 12
15 Alabama 11
16 North Carolina 8
17 Arkansas 9
18 Texas A&M 9
19 Kentucky 10
20 Arizona 9
21 Maryland 12
22 Mississippi 10
23 Duke 12
24 San Diego 8
25 Oklahoma State 7

Of these 25 teams, 15 players are from Georgia.

Those numbers will dwindle down as many will enter the draft. Have to have a scholarship offer in order to enter the draft. I remember when Vandy was garbage. What happened? They spent more money in their baseball program and it is paying off. I'm sure if UGA dumped 20 mil in their baseball program, hired a staff of ex-pro coaches and offered side scholarships like Vandy they could achieve the same.
Go to Top of Page

Gadawg93

7 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  13:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bama21, UGA ended up with the 3rd highest ranked class in the nation for 2016, just a few points from being the highest. Offering much earlier as you suggest would not help as you cant get much better. They must be doing something right when it comes to recruiting to be the 3rd highest in the nation, don't you agree?
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  13:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The rankings will fluctuate for any number of reasons, draft being one of them. My point is, if you need to commit early to keep talent in Ga., then commit early.

True. Clemson and UNC has been coming to Gwinnett County and offering sophomores full ride scholarships. Why doesn't UGA do the same?

Long term benefits for picking off the talent tree early.
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me that the instate schools should have a distinct recruiting advantage. Because of the Hope scholarship, a lot of top players already have an incentive to stay in state and it should make a schools 11.7 scholarships go a lot further. For whatever reason a lot of the top kids are getting pulled out of state. Obviously there are other reason to go out of state at times, but the in state schools should have a built in advantage that is not producing results yet at the Big schools???
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  20:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, UGA probably could be in the top 5 every year, if they got the top talent at home.
War eagle is correct, with the Hope they should be able to make their scholarships go a lot further.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000