New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Original subject was Could this be the trend in 5 to 10 years for HS Baseball.

Someone asked about the trend of baseball moving away from HS and more towards full time travel baseball.

It has only been 4 years but I don't think we have seen that and probably wont. Some people made good points about playing for you HS team, finding your nitch [sic] in school, Pride of school leads to playing harder, etc etc and I agree with all of that.

My Post on the original topic started with

My son had a strange experience with his high school baseball team this season. He played a winter sport competed in the state tournament for that sport, so was about 2 weeks late getting out to baseball and the Varsity coach never evaluated him, just stuck him on JV. Long story short, he decided not to play and will probably not play for this coach ever.

I decided to leave the post because I was getting too worked up about the situation because I knew people on a board who knew nothing about the details, my son, his demeanor work ethic, or the coach I was going to get blasted and just become mad but I knew in time things would happen as they should.

My son was sophomore at the time. Played Varsity basketball as a freshman and sophomore so I would say pretty athletic. A good coach would have known what he had but were not dealing with a very good person or coach.

Well he turned down the offer to play JV, and "he" decided to do the home school team route. Loved it,loved the coaches and players. Learned a good bit that season. The competition was at times better than Varsity and at times about like JV. They played more games than the HS and practiced about the same, but the cost was less. That summer he decided to transfer schools and it was not 100% about the coach but I am sure that had something to do with it. In life if you don't like your job or situation whatever it is you either put up with it or decide to make a change and move on. He decided to transfer schools as a Junior and we followed all the protocol to make it happen and it was not easy but well worth it. He transferred and was accepted by Administration, the faculty, coaches and students. He had to miss a season of basketball but was fine with it. He was able to play baseball on the Varsity 2 years and started both seasons. Graduated with honors and is currently playing college baseball now. We didn't complain to the school at all about the coach other than saying this guy was going to have issues in the future The next season I heard was a nightmare many issues with this coach, so he was relieved of his coaching position and the rumor is he can not find a coaching job in anywhere. I believe the travel baseball community is very tight and when word got out he was looking to go here or there parents talked and parents told Administrators in other Counties and Districts they would not stand for this guy coaching their sons and they listened.
so over the last 6 years there were at least 10 good high school players that either quit, transferred, played home school ball, didn't go out for the team or stopped playing because completely because of this guy. So despite popular discussion board belief not all coaches are good coaches or good people.

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  08:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
toprank - best of luck to your son! You must be proud with him graduating with honors, and playing at the next level :-)

Enjoy the ride
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  12:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cream will rise to the top. Congrats to your son for staying focused and playing at the next level.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  07:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or could be a coach for a bad alternate HS team looking for players
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  09:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it all worked out for him but I'm confused, what was so bad about playing JV as a sophomore?
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  10:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I'm glad it all worked out for him but I'm confused, what was so bad about playing JV as a sophomore?

In most cases if you are good enough to play college ball you will be on the varsity as a sophomore. There always exceptions to this rule so please, no need for examples.
We should keep in mind HS coaches are like the rest of society, 80% are not good, same goes for travel coaches.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  13:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not good is incorrect, I should have said not great. There a lot of good coaches out there. Even MLB, there are not a lot of great coaches at the highest level. My top 5 in no order for MLB.

Francona
Bochy
Showalter

I like Dusty Baker and some people like Joe Maddon, I am not sure they qualify as great.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  14:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

In most cases if you are good enough to play college ball you will be on the varsity as a sophomore. There always exceptions to this rule so please, no need for examples.
We should keep in mind HS coaches are like the rest of society, 80% are not good, same goes for travel coaches.

If Toprank comes back on here and says the kid played for a cruddy HS 3A program and went on to be a started on D1 then okay, I 100% agree with you. However, I think you are inferring a bit of information.

What if he was with Walton or another outstanding program and there wasn't room on Varsity because of who was above him? I saw a JV Walton 10th grader throwing 87 last year, you can't tell me that kid's not going to play in college. There is also such a thing as playing JV for the season and being asked to play with Varsity for the rest of their season.

Toprank, can you disclose what kind of program your son had in HS and what he is currently playing with? D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  07:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a bunch of high school kids who did not play varsity as sophomores for the exact reasons Caco3 says...the varsity team was stacked and even the jv was stacked enough that several really good players did not make even that team. Only 2 underclassmen played up and even then only from time to time. It is totally a function of the school and how competitive of a roster they have.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 10/03/2017 09:20:26
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  09:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will bite one last time, My son had 1 small D-1 offer Conference USA, Mostly D-2 and JUCO offers, son was not interested in playing D-3 or NAIA, decided on JUCO program, hoping to play improve and see if he can attract a bigger D-1 school down the road. High School was 2nd highest level so 5A at the time. CaCo I don't think you understand it was this one coach. In 10 Years of travel baseball, AAU Basketball, Football, he never dealt with any coach like this.
There were a lot of kids that could have played college baseball at some level that quit because of this coach. Some top coaches (involved with top 3 travel programs in the state) that left the program because of this coach. I just hope your son and no one else on this board has to deal with a coach like this. I will check back in withe the board in a couple of years and try and update. Good luck to everyone that is playing and loving the game.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  10:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say a stacked roster in HS is the exception and not the norm, you may have 4 or 5 schools that would meet that criteria out of a 100. From my experience, you may have 2 or 3 elite players, 4 or 5 good players, and the other 12 to 15 are role players.

Too many variables are in play to know what a coach is thinking when making a roster decision. Even with a stacked lineup, a different coach would do it differently.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toprank, I fully believe there are some very bad coaches out there. There are mean coaches, idiotic coaches, hateful coaches, sadistic coaches, God complex coaches, bought off coaches, and just down right "only play my favorite" coaches.

My issue with your post was that the only thing you said the coach did was put your kid on JV rather than Varsity. I didn't see the glitch since sophomores are usually on JV.
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  10:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said before without being there tough to be objective to both sides or what really went on.
But lets imagine your son is in 9th grade at his current HS.
He plays every inning of every game bats in the top 4 spots on JV and is one of the best players on the team. As a sophomore he decides to wrestle to help his strength and agility. He makes varsity and ends up going to the state tournament.
Most of his teammates from the JV are already practicing baseball and you find out they are given spots on the Varsity. Lets say your son has played with these kids since he was 8 or 9 and you know where your son is compared to them. Your son emails the baseball coach and introduces himself and lets him know he is on the wrestling team and wants to compete for spot on the varsity as soon as the state tournament is done. Coach in writing says I will give you a proper tryout. Now 2 or 3 weeks later your son gets out to the baseball field and your son never gets looked at by the Varsity coach. More than 2 weeks go by when there are many chances for your son to come in early, stay late, workout where the coach could see him and give him the same opportunity his peers had that are now on the Varsity. I think the fact my son was told he would be looked at but wasn't, it told him what he needed to know about the coaches makeup. I could have left him on JV and I have no doubt he would have been moved up eventually but not guaranteed even if he put up crazy numbers he would have been. Had it been a "normal" coach I would have been fine with it. Had he gone back the next year that was a good chance he would have been cut just out of spite that he did not play JV and it probably would have been held against him.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toprank

Like I said before without being there tough to be objective to both sides or what really went on.
He plays every inning of every game bats in the top 4 spots on JV and is one of the best players on the team. As a sophomore he decides to wrestle to help his strength and agility. He makes varsity and ends up going to the state tournament.
Most of his teammates from the JV are already practicing baseball and you find out they are given spots on the Varsity. Lets say your son has played with these kids since he was 8 or 9 and you know where your son is compared to them. Your son emails the baseball coach and introduces himself and lets him know he is on the wrestling team and wants to compete for spot on the varsity as soon as the state tournament is done. Coach in writing says I will give you a proper tryout. Now 2 or 3 weeks later your son gets out to the baseball field and your son never gets looked at by the Varsity coach. More than 2 weeks go by when there are many chances for your son to come in early, stay late, workout where the coach could see him and give him the same opportunity his peers had that are now on the Varsity. I think the fact my son was told he would be looked at but wasn't, it told him what he needed to know about the coaches makeup. I could have left him on JV and I have no doubt he would have been moved up eventually but not guaranteed even if he put up crazy numbers he would have been. Had it been a "normal" coach I would have been fine with it. Had he gone back the next year that was a good chance he would have been cut just out of spite that he did not play JV and it probably would have been held against him.

I think I understand the problem now. Good luck to your son on his baseball future.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can we at least get the county your son's High school was in? Better yet name the school, moderator will probably not let you name the coach.

My son was told last week by the HS baseball coach that he makes all his lefties PO. How is that for limited options? Travel ball has become like a charter school situation for some, it is nice to have options. To bad the parents that do not know better or are just sheep let their HS coach run their baseball during Fall and Summer.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  14:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow toprank that's a really unfortunate scenario. I also know a kid who was cut completely from a high school team for no other reason than he played another sport. He was a starting basketball player and the team was in the playoffs. He raced from the playoff game to the tryout but was late. He was given one at bat and one ball in the outfield then cut. He had a .500 batting average on his travel team and was a lefty pitcher. This was many, many years ago and this kid has since completed graduate school. But he quit baseball after that. Travel then was not what it is now. Looks like high school hasn't changed much since then. Thank goodness our boys have so many options now thanks to travel to be seen. Sounds like your son ended up ok in the end! Good luck to him!

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 10/05/2017 14:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  17:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

From my view point YOU and your son chose not to take the JV spot as a sophomore due to ego more than anything else. If you son would have taken the spot and let his play prove his point any coach including the worst human ever like you say would have quickly moved him to varsity. Taking your toys and going home proves nothing to your son. In life there will always be negative people that put up road blocks in from of you so my advise is to face them head on as that tends the be the best way to learn from adversity. The level of college ball your son is now playing has nothing to do with what happened on his high school team as we know that 98% of all college scouting comes from travel ball these days. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  09:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

quote:

Can we at least get the county your son's High school was in? Better yet name the school, moderator will probably not let you name the coach.

My son was told last week by the HS baseball coach that he makes all his lefties PO. How is that for limited options? Travel ball has become like a charter school situation for some, it is nice to have options. To bad the parents that do not know better or are just sheep let their HS coach run their baseball during Fall and Summer.

Having a 10th grader myself I have to wonder if your son misunderstood. Mine has come home with some interesting interpretations on what the teachers have said. Perhaps he said most lefties are PO's by the time they graduate?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  11:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

quote:

From my view point YOU and your son chose not to take the JV spot as a sophomore due to ego more than anything else. If you son would have taken the spot and let his play prove his point any coach including the worst human ever like you say would have quickly moved him to varsity. Taking your toys and going home proves nothing to your son. In life there will always be negative people that put up road blocks in from of you so my advise is to face them head on as that tends the be the best way to learn from adversity. The level of college ball your son is now playing has nothing to do with what happened on his high school team as we know that 98% of all college scouting comes from travel ball these days. Just my 2 cents.

I repeat "I think I understand the problem now. Good luck to your son on his baseball future."
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  11:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

quote:

Like you said "FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW"
So you don't know the coach and don't know the situation. "Any coach including the worst human ever like you say would have quickly moved him to varsity." That is not true, This guy holds grudges. Moved a Junior who would have started on 99% of the schools in GA to JV because he missed a practice for an SAT. Did you not read the part that said he was fired!
I believe this is a Life Lesson not taking taking my toys and going home that is your perspective. Not sure what level of baseball you played at or if you have kids or what your current job is, but have you not dropped a class in college, left a job because of a awful manager or boss? Or did you hang around because even the worst boss would promote the most qualified candidates. Would you tell your son to stay at a college program for football or baseball to face his issue head on. You see transfers all the time. A good friend of mine had a son full ride to South Carolina, transferred after 2 years went to D-2 School guess what he got drafted and is getting paid to play now. He would not have gotten that opportunity had he stayed. Maybe the coach would have left him on JV, maybe not even put him on the team the next year.
Then what my son's senior year is screwed because of a guys ego. I know Seniors in high schools that were cut their senior years and these kids are playing Division 1 college baseball, so don't pretend to know what every rational coach would do in every situation. A lot of coaches have huge egos, and think they can get away with things but eventually Karma catches them and if this guy was rational he would not have had his job taken from him. So its easy to say what you would do. Heck if I read the post I would probably think the same thing, but not being there and seeing it over and over with kid after kid. If you want specifics message me directly and I can give you instructors that I see in some of your old posts you name or recommend and you can ask them about their experiences with this coach.
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@toprank, I get it. There are absolutely petty coaches out there (on travel & HS side). It's not a "take your toys & go home" in every instance - the challenge is to evaluate intent & make the best long-term decision - both can be learning situations. Let me give a non-baseball example.

My son has more than one teacher that he complains about..."they don't teach the subject well". In 33% of the instances, he's probably right. But in 95% of the instances, I am going to tell him to put in extra work & learn it on his own (or I will offer to help). It's life - you are not going to like the approach of everyone.

BUT, there are those 5% instances where something should be done. If the teacher is so poor/discouraging to the learning process (and usually the schools will do nothing), I need to evaluate if I want to take a stronger action (for the long-term benefit of my son). The negatives of remaining in the class outweigh the learning's from "sticking it out".

Make sense?
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  19:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There just isn't much to do but leave by any means necessary a bad high school coach situation. Whether it be daddy coach ball, booster ball, or vendettas vs two sport athlete ball. Just leave. Its not worth the fight. Your clock is ticking each day you stay, and 1 season is already gone in a blink. Exit fast. ASAP as soon as you identify a bad situation. You'll never get the time spent fighting bs back.

Case in point. Daddy should never ever be allowed to coach his midget son in highest classification high school. But it is allowed sadly with no limits.

What has it cost over 2 seasons? 4 team fights. 3 parents on reprimand. 4 players suspended. Coach it has cost nothing.

Transferred out:
3 D1 Committed players.
1 Potential Pro draftee.
5 players who became All Conference at new school the first season AFTER transferring.

You can't beat the good old boy network until you change teams and play them.

Edited by - Renegade44 on 10/06/2017 21:29:36
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  09:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Renegade and Roaming....I still don't get it. Yes, my son has aspirations of D1, and even MLB if he can get there, but this is high school. Baseball is 5 months out of the year, as long as the coach isn't doing anything to phsycially hurt the kids why change the entire school? Better yet, if the guy is such a tool then people in the business know he is a tool and you just don't play HS baseball, the recruiters would understand, heck the poster said he knew kids cut their senior year and they played D1.

Changing houses and or schools for baseball seems WAY over the top. I get that the guy was a tool, I'm not saying the post was exaggerated, but leaving all the people the kid has gone to school with for what 10 years because of baseball? Baseball is important to my son, VERY important, but I wouldn't help him or let him switch schools because of it.
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  16:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm coming out of retirement for this one.

I think we can all agree that there are many delusional parents out there - we all probably know a few - but there are also bitter, controlling, vindictive and unqualified coaches. If you don't think so then you're sadly mistaken and are probably lucky to have a good one.

You don't get to pick your high school coach but I have more than a few very level-headed friends who are in terrible situations. Yes, some coaches hold grudges or want to teach kids a lesson for various reasons. As a parent, your job is to do what's best for your kid. That's your responsibility and it really doesn't matter what someone else thinks. Clearly, Toprank did what he thought was best for his son and I'm glad that it worked out for them.

One thing to remember is that every kid doesn't have a year of development to throw away. I've heard of coaches in various sports doing some really questionable things. An example would be not telling parents/kids that ACME University wants him to come up for a visit this weekend. Luckily, the college coach knew the family and that wasn't like them and realized the kind of coach that he was dealing with. Here's the $64K question: If you aren't there to help the kids, what's the motive?

Edited by - hshuler on 10/09/2017 16:16:07
Go to Top of Page

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  13:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points by many of the folks posting.

We have seen LOTS thru HS that many folks have mentioned. When my son was a freshman, two Senior 3-year letterman were cut and one went on to play at UGA. We've seen our share of coaching changes too, and attribute that to booster ball in the area we've lived in. Also have unfortunately been in a similar situation that hshuler highlighted where coach told my son that a school wanted to meet with him after they had already left the area.

More times than not, my son and I talk about the life lessons associated with HS ball, and reinforce that there is no substitute doing your absolute best, working hard, manufacturing your own luck thru preparation, and control the things you can control. Keep your eyes on the prize, wherever that may take ya.

Toprank hit the nail on the head.... Karma is a funny thing and always seems to catch up to those out there.

Edited by - prestont on 10/10/2017 13:53:47
Go to Top of Page

afedele17

41 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  12:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this discussion and good points made all around.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000