Sponsorship
Opportunities

Sponsored Links
Georgia Stars
Jr Chiefs Baseball
Georgia Bombers Baseball Club
Hopewell Baseball
Precision Baseball
Dingers Athletics
Georgia Octane
Perfect Game
Barrett Baseball
SmarTense Training
Training Legends
Titans Sports Academy
Service Baseball
NEXTLVL SPORTS INSTITUTE
The Club
The Sandlots
Georgia Jackets
SmarTense Baseball
Cherokee Batting Range
Quick Links
Cooperstown
Tournaments
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA Links
To Indexes

Cooperstown
Tournaments
Join NWBA Team Insurance
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 How much does it really cost??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ECB.Phenoms

18 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  16:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've coached at East Cobb for several years. From what I hear from others, our fees are about in line with other larger programs. Many of the fees listed in some of these posts are off by a significant margin. That accounts for a portion of the gap that exists between what is and what "should be". But, what most parents don't see are the little costs that add up. Helmet Decals $125 minimum.
Everyone sees the tourney entry fee of $550 - $750. What you don't see is the $150 gate fee. Multiplied by 15 tourneys.
Batting gloves $40 each. ECB requires two per player.
Embroidery for bat bags $200
Catchers bags and catchers equipment $700
This past wknd my team went through almost two boxes of baseballs. At $5 each, that's almost $120 for one wknd.
Cage rentals, field rentals, team instruction, belts, socks, player pullovers, coaches jerseys. The list goes on and on.

Most just see the cost for helmets, bat bags, baseballs, jerseys and tournaments entry fees. Just scratching the surface. As for the hats ? You are kidding yourself if you think you are getting a hat for $17. Not with a logo on it. Certainly not with the team name embroidered or a players number. Any paid coach only getting $4,500 a season isn't worth having. Promise.
Go to Top of Page

dirtandgrass

4 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  16:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a parent with a kid in a "pro" coached 11u team. I paid for fall and summer combined, around 3K.

What we got was a lot of hype and promises, uniforms, bags and around 12 tournaments scheduled for both seasons (but rainouts has caused us to play less then 12). The pro-coach owns the facility, so we had access to indoor workouts, after having half of Nov, all of Dec and half of Jan off.

We played 2, maybe 3 PG tournaments, all the rest were local tournaments.

Coach wouldn't communicate with parents. Asst coaches and parents posted schedules, the coach was apparently too busy to be bothered. But yet, would be annoyed if people kept asking him for answers. You wouldn't hear from him and you'd have to basically beg for basic information (ie.. are we practicing today?) and he liked to be sarcastic with his response. All parents would say is "but he's a great coach, so it's worth dealing with his not telling anyone anything". Sorry, but disrespectful to your PAYING customers to ignore texts and leave everyone in the dark week after week because "he's a great coach". He came to learn that parents were intimidated by him, so he knew he could continue behaving this way because there was never push back by parents.

We refuse to pay our coach for additional lessons as we feel you are then paying to play, so we still paid an outside instructor to teach what our pro-coach didn't do.

Was he a great coach? My son learned a lot of in's and out's of the game, for sure. But, my son's hitting, fielding and pitching, were all influenced by the paid instructor. The coach ran the practice in a group setting, none of the kids received personalized coaching unless, you paid for his services outside of practices. He was at every single game and practices, but there were days, you didn't even know where you were practicing until last minute, even with multiple parents asking over and over again.

We are looking forward to tryouts and fingers crossed, won't have to deal with this type of coach behavior again.
Go to Top of Page

StickyStick

4 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  17:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtandgrass

As a parent with a kid in a "pro" coached 11u team. I paid for fall and summer combined, around 3K.

What we got was a lot of hype and promises, uniforms, bags and around 12 tournaments scheduled for both seasons (but rainouts has caused us to play less then 12). The pro-coach owns the facility, so we had access to indoor workouts, after having half of Nov, all of Dec and half of Jan off.

We played 2, maybe 3 PG tournaments, all the rest were local tournaments.

Coach wouldn't communicate with parents. Asst coaches and parents posted schedules, the coach was apparently too busy to be bothered. But yet, would be annoyed if people kept asking him for answers. You wouldn't hear from him and you'd have to basically beg for basic information (ie.. are we practicing today?) and he liked to be sarcastic with his response. All parents would say is "but he's a great coach, so it's worth dealing with his not telling anyone anything". Sorry, but disrespectful to your PAYING customers to ignore texts and leave everyone in the dark week after week because "he's a great coach". He came to learn that parents were intimidated by him, so he knew he could continue behaving this way because there was never push back by parents.

We refuse to pay our coach for additional lessons as we feel you are then paying to play, so we still paid an outside instructor to teach what our pro-coach didn't do.

Was he a great coach? My son learned a lot of in's and out's of the game, for sure. But, my son's hitting, fielding and pitching, were all influenced by the paid instructor. The coach ran the practice in a group setting, none of the kids received personalized coaching unless, you paid for his services outside of practices. He was at every single game and practices, but there were days, you didn't even know where you were practicing until last minute, even with multiple parents asking over and over again.

We are looking forward to tryouts and fingers crossed, won't have to deal with this type of coach behavior again.




That's terrible! This year, my son had a great coach and communication was never a problem. Could you send me a message(click on my username and press email message) to tell me the organization or name of that coach? My son is trying out for many 12u teams this year and we definitely would not want to have the person you mentioned as a coach.

Edited by - StickyStick on 06/10/2019 19:03:02
Go to Top of Page

dirtandgrass

4 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  08:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Anyone want to dispute is welcome to do so. Where does the justification of these $3000 plus fees come from? Seem like many are gaining extra tax free income.


In our case, the pro coach owns the organization and has an indoor facility he owns. However, the field used is rented from the city, sometimes the county (depending on the field used). So our fee of 3k paid for the basics; equipment, uniforms, game fees and practice field rental. Anything over is then as a salary to the coach. We did know this going in, so my contention is not where the money is going since he is a for profit organization, but what I am not ok with is a team that ends another season with arm injuries of the kids, under a coach who's resume has a pro background, but he runs the organization and his team as if he's a rookie. I'm not okay with having to beg someone to answer a basic question (ie- do we have practice indoors or outdoors today? What time? )

In typical fashion, we don't even know if we are playing this weekend or not. We'll likely find out after parents start asking for some kind of update. It's inconsiderate and unprofessional to treat customers this way, but why would he change his behaviors when parents are so intimidated by him they won't push back because he's "a pro". It's a power trip is all that it is.

So, if anyone has good recommendations of coaches Northeast of Atlanta, send me a message. I'd also like to know which ones to steer clear of as well.
Go to Top of Page

KentMurphy

71 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  08:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtandgrass

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Anyone want to dispute is welcome to do so. Where does the justification of these $3000 plus fees come from? Seem like many are gaining extra tax free income.


In our case, the pro coach owns the organization and has an indoor facility he owns. However, the field used is rented from the city, sometimes the county (depending on the field used). So our fee of 3k paid for the basics; equipment, uniforms, game fees and practice field rental. Anything over is then as a salary to the coach. We did know this going in, so my contention is not where the money is going since he is a for profit organization, but what I am not ok with is a team that ends another season with arm injuries of the kids, under a coach who's resume has a pro background, but he runs the organization and his team as if he's a rookie. I'm not okay with having to beg someone to answer a basic question (ie- do we have practice indoors or outdoors today? What time? )

In typical fashion, we don't even know if we are playing this weekend or not. We'll likely find out after parents start asking for some kind of update. It's inconsiderate and unprofessional to treat customers this way, but why would he change his behaviors when parents are so intimidated by him they won't push back because he's "a pro". It's a power trip is all that it is.

So, if anyone has good recommendations of coaches Northeast of Atlanta, send me a message. I'd also like to know which ones to steer clear of as well.



This is the norm, rather than the exception when dealing with 'pro' coaches. They may say, 'you're paying me for instruction, game-day management, and my baseball knowledge-- NOT my attention to detail with 'business' activities'.

The best (and not saying perfect) situations I've see/heard of, is you have the 'pro' coach focusing on baseball stuff, and an 'in-tune' parent that is more like a GM. The GM may help with uniforms, scheduling, dues, tourneys, etc.. The coach has to communicate with one person to get the word out. Maybe the GM doesn't always ask questions, so when they do, they are answered. Maybe the GM controls the team finances, so IF the 'pro' wants to get his check this month, he knows who to answer in a timely manner.

Also, understand, as your son gets older, most coaches deal less and less with the parents. Mom/dad call/text coach, 'why isn't my son playing'... coach's reply: 'ask your son, he knows'. And some coaches just don't deal with helicopter parents. Demanding or high-maintenance parents. If coach sends out a communication in Feb., "moving forward we will practice on Tue/Thur from 7-10, unless you hear otherwise".... Well, you should then know, unless you hear different around 6 PM, you'll always have practice. Some of these 'pros' don't think they have to 'spoon feed' a daily reminder, or even weekly reminder to adults.

I'm not saying any of this could be applicable to you, I'm just saying, that more times than not, you're not going to find a 'pro coach' who's great at running a team (including communication) from top to bottom.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

654 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  07:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kent is 100% accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by KentMurphy

quote:
Originally posted by dirtandgrass

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Anyone want to dispute is welcome to do so. Where does the justification of these $3000 plus fees come from? Seem like many are gaining extra tax free income.


In our case, the pro coach owns the organization and has an indoor facility he owns. However, the field used is rented from the city, sometimes the county (depending on the field used). So our fee of 3k paid for the basics; equipment, uniforms, game fees and practice field rental. Anything over is then as a salary to the coach. We did know this going in, so my contention is not where the money is going since he is a for profit organization, but what I am not ok with is a team that ends another season with arm injuries of the kids, under a coach who's resume has a pro background, but he runs the organization and his team as if he's a rookie. I'm not okay with having to beg someone to answer a basic question (ie- do we have practice indoors or outdoors today? What time? )

In typical fashion, we don't even know if we are playing this weekend or not. We'll likely find out after parents start asking for some kind of update. It's inconsiderate and unprofessional to treat customers this way, but why would he change his behaviors when parents are so intimidated by him they won't push back because he's "a pro". It's a power trip is all that it is.

So, if anyone has good recommendations of coaches Northeast of Atlanta, send me a message. I'd also like to know which ones to steer clear of as well.



This is the norm, rather than the exception when dealing with 'pro' coaches. They may say, 'you're paying me for instruction, game-day management, and my baseball knowledge-- NOT my attention to detail with 'business' activities'.

The best (and not saying perfect) situations I've see/heard of, is you have the 'pro' coach focusing on baseball stuff, and an 'in-tune' parent that is more like a GM. The GM may help with uniforms, scheduling, dues, tourneys, etc.. The coach has to communicate with one person to get the word out. Maybe the GM doesn't always ask questions, so when they do, they are answered. Maybe the GM controls the team finances, so IF the 'pro' wants to get his check this month, he knows who to answer in a timely manner.

Also, understand, as your son gets older, most coaches deal less and less with the parents. Mom/dad call/text coach, 'why isn't my son playing'... coach's reply: 'ask your son, he knows'. And some coaches just don't deal with helicopter parents. Demanding or high-maintenance parents. If coach sends out a communication in Feb., "moving forward we will practice on Tue/Thur from 7-10, unless you hear otherwise".... Well, you should then know, unless you hear different around 6 PM, you'll always have practice. Some of these 'pros' don't think they have to 'spoon feed' a daily reminder, or even weekly reminder to adults.

I'm not saying any of this could be applicable to you, I'm just saying, that more times than not, you're not going to find a 'pro coach' who's great at running a team (including communication) from top to bottom.


Edited by - Punishers on 06/13/2019 14:04:30
Go to Top of Page

dirtandgrass

4 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  15:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KentMurphy
The best (and not saying perfect) situations I've see/heard of, is you have the 'pro' coach focusing on baseball stuff, and an 'in-tune' parent that is more like a GM. The GM may help with uniforms, scheduling, dues, tourneys, etc.. The coach has to communicate with one person to get the word out. Maybe the GM doesn't always ask questions, so when they do, they are answered. Maybe the GM controls the team finances, so IF the 'pro' wants to get his check this month, he knows who to answer in a timely manner.


Completely agree this is how it should have been done!! And what we would have expected. But the issue is that he won't even let a parent do that because he doesn't communicate with them either. Information comes sometimes from an asst coach, sometimes a parent who either is in the know or randomly finds something out (like digging through each tournament website each week to see IF we are registered there), or the pro-coach allows us to know directly, once in awhile. But if people ask what is happening, he's snide and rude because he's been asked. He wouldn't be asked if he didn't wait last minute to share. It's completely unnecessary he does this and shows outwardly that his concerns are himself, not the people who have paid him.

As kids get older, I totally get it. It's similar to education. As the kids age, the parents are left out more and more. I get it! But this coach is dealing with elementary kids and early middle school kids. Parents are still responsible for driving them where they need to be, so we should at least have some idea where we are going and when each week, well before the weekend or day of practice.

If the pro wants to know when your kid impacts him or the team (injury/illness/vacation) shouldn't he expect the customers would need the same consideration in return for the what and where? Or is it that youth baseball has evolved into parents having to be treated like puppets. I thought it was supposed to be a partnership?

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

654 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  16:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wish these teams having tryouts posted include the price. That way people would not be wasting their time if the price is not in their budget. Try out fee? Really?

Edited by - Punishers on 06/13/2019 17:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

197 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  17:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A partnership? No.

A parting of the contents of your wallet to his. Yes
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

322 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  20:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Wish these teams having tryouts posted include the price. That way people would not be wasting their time if the price is not in their budget. Try out fee? Really?



Do not think everybody pays the same is why not listed.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

654 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  08:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say it is not so!!
That is something people should be informed of before making a decision. Add that to the list of questions to ask.


quote:
Originally posted by BREAMKING

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Wish these teams having tryouts posted include the price. That way people would not be wasting their time if the price is not in their budget. Try out fee? Really?



Do not think everybody pays the same is why not listed.

Go to Top of Page

dirtandgrass

4 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  12:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

A partnership? No.

A parting of the contents of your wallet to his. Yes




HA! Sadly, so true!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

654 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  09:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The head coach at Michigan said what??? I wonder where he got that from?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-19 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000