General Discussion
 PG Pitching Rules
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryno23

123 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  05:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious what is the penalty for a team that violates the Pitch Smart pitching guidelines rule? I realize the rule reads that an official or coach of an opposing team has to catch the violation while it's happening, but is there no penalty if the coach is to violate this rule?

If there is no possibility of future penalties, what prevents a coach from running a kid out there without the required window of rest.

Approximately 15 pitchers in the past weekend's WWBA 16U tournament pitched illegally and some affected bracket games....one kid threw 110 pitches in a game, the max is 95 pitches.

Is the Pitch Smart pitching guidelines really working as it was intended to do so?

I read PG's rules and it states the following;

Pitching: The MLB balk rule will be enforced. When a balk is called it is NOT a dead ball. The 3B to 1B pickoff move is legal. Also, in the windup position, a pitcher is permitted to have his "free" foot on the rubber, in front of the rubber, behind the rubber, or off to the side of the rubber.

Enforced Pitching Limitations: All PGBA Red events will strictly follow the Pitch Smart guidelines. All other PGBA events are strongly encouraged to follow the Pitch Smart guidelines and enforce them as a rule. Check the Pitching Restrictions tab on the event homepage as well as the PitchSmart report; when applicable.

I am not clear on what's considered a PGBA Red event, but is this a rule that is loosely enforced....i.e. the rule is only strongly encouraged???

Edited by - Ryno23 on 05/29/2018 05:49:58

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  09:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the kid was 17 (105 pitches) and he was finishing a batter I could see 110 pitches

PGBA events aren't really PG events. https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/

My understanding was that the team had to forfeit the game...that's what happened a few years ago when these first came out.
Go to Top of Page

Ryno23

123 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  13:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, I am referencing only the 16U WWBA Memorial Day tournament this past weekend.

If anyone is curious to what I am referencing, please see the link below.

Any pitcher that shows pitches thrown in a brown highlighted box, was not available to pitch under the Pitch Smart pitching guidelines and thus violated the "suggested pitching guideline".

Also, there was a 16U kid who through 110 pitches in one game when the limit is 95.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Events/Tournaments/PitchingRestrictions.aspx?event=5849

Edited by - Ryno23 on 05/29/2018 14:35:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000