General Discussion
 Organization
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

old dragon

11 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  06:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what age does a kid need to start playing with an organization instead of a hand picked team that has been very successful in the past if they would like to increase their chances of a college team looking at them??
Up coming 8th grader and will be playing 14u in the spring, we are trying to figure out which route for the future.

Thanks

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  09:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are MANY paths in baseball, and I don't think any two kids ever follow the same path. Colleges look at kids at showcases, at their camps, at PG events, and even at high school games. There is no pre-requisite that you must play for the team elites and the east cobbs of the world to be seen by colleges if you are doing any of the above.

Do you think the kids on the 9th 15u team at east cobb are getting coaches visiting them? NOPE! How about the 7 15u team elite teams? NOPE! Just being with a specific organization is no guarantee of any college contacts. If you guys are on a good team and you are happy and your son gets to play then don't worry about the academies and the specific organizations.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  11:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above ^^^. The most important thing a player can do over everything else is work hard and practice hard. Hard work will pay off. This is a very competitive sport just like the other sports. In the end, no player will ride another player or teams "shirt tail" into the big leagues. Put your son on a team that has great coaches and to where he gets the most playing time.
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  14:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with CaCO3Girl on there are MANY paths.

However I will say this at 13U and above, get away from DADDY and BUDDY ball. The dad's got their run through Cooperstown, now let the paid coaches handle it from here on out.

I know many will argue, well the Daddy/Buddy teams are just as good at a lower price, but these Organizations I believe prepare the kids for baseball beyond the Dad's; and prepares them for High School and hopefully for some baseball beyond high school as well.

If you have the means AND your player has the talent AND they want to play for an organization then I say do it. That will prepare them the best for the longer term end-game while getting used to different coaching styles and personalities. Some of these kids who's dad's have coached them since 4 years old have never seen other coaches, imagine the shock come day 1 of High School and they all of a sudden get awakened to the real world.

To each their own, but for us at 13U there was only one option and that was through an established organization with paid coaches.

quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

There are MANY paths in baseball, and I don't think any two kids ever follow the same path. Colleges look at kids at showcases, at their camps, at PG events, and even at high school games. There is no pre-requisite that you must play for the team elites and the east cobbs of the world to be seen by colleges if you are doing any of the above.

Do you think the kids on the 9th 15u team at east cobb are getting coaches visiting them? NOPE! How about the 7 15u team elite teams? NOPE! Just being with a specific organization is no guarantee of any college contacts. If you guys are on a good team and you are happy and your son gets to play then don't worry about the academies and the specific organizations.

Edited by - RUSemiPro on 08/07/2018 15:01:29
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  14:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the "hand picked" team could stay together and compete at a high level, then there's no need to join an organization.

More than likely this won't happen because the lure of the organizations will be too strong for most parents; especially, if the kid/kids are really talented.

As far as camps and showcases go, if your son can put up really good numbers, then it is definitely worth it. Getting on radars is the key and that happens in many different ways.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  15:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, the deciding factor once a kid gets to HS is the coach's contacts with colleges. Prior to HS, it doesn't matter who they play for as long as they are getting taught the fundamentals and they are playing. Once the recruiting age begins, I don't think I can emphasize enough the importance of a coach having contacts at the next level. Unless your kid is a total stud - a top D1/draft prospect - a respected coach's word will be a HUGE door opener. College coaches don't take a dad's word for it. There are literally tens of thousands of kids out there who possess college skills. A kid's travel coach vouching for the kid could be the icing on the cake. It's not a guarantee because a college will have to have a need for a particular player and the recruiter will need to see the kid for himself, but a coach talking to that recruiter about the character of the kid and the skills they have seen the kid exhibit will be a big factor. Not having that advocate will make the journey that much more difficult.

If a dad has the contacts, that's fine. Most dads don't. The good programs have been around for a while, it's their job to help their players get recruited. They make it their business to develop contacts and relationships. I believe it really does matter.

Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  20:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All above great points. To answer the original question I would say at 15U is when colleges start to really look at players. First the player has to be really good to get looks this early. My son was fortunate enough to play on a team whose head of the organization went above and beyond to call coaches and would welcome calls. He would not lie told the 100% truth about my son's abilities and attitude but would really focus on the positive things my son brought to the table. His HS coach was non existent in the college recruiting process and even failed to return a pretty small Division I, call that came after a camp held at the college. The next year he played summer ball for the mentioned organization and secured a small scholarship small school based on those recommendations by the summer teams organization.
Be leery of the head guy that shows up at the tryout and gives the big speech and promises he will go out of his way to get your son a college scholarships in the beginning but once you commit you never see him again at practices or games or even around the organization, we got fooled by one of those at 16U. The team was good but all that went on to play at the college level did it on their own with the parents leading the way at camps and showcases.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  09:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my son got committed, he played on the top team at one of the top organizations. Did that help him get committed, no it didn't. He got committed on his own. What I mean by that is, he did the PG Showcase and then went to a college camp at a school he was interested in. His travel ball team didn't even know he was going to the college camp. He committed a couple of days later and then called his travel ball team to tell them he committed.

Now, does it help to play on a top team, absolutely it does. The main point of this is to say, don't depend on other people to make things happen for your son.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

To me, the deciding factor once a kid gets to HS is the coach's contacts with colleges. Prior to HS, it doesn't matter who they play for as long as they are getting taught the fundamentals and they are playing. Once the recruiting age begins, I don't think I can emphasize enough the importance of a coach having contacts at the next level. Unless your kid is a total stud - a top D1/draft prospect - a respected coach's word will be a HUGE door opener. College coaches don't take a dad's word for it. There are literally tens of thousands of kids out there who possess college skills. A kid's travel coach vouching for the kid could be the icing on the cake. It's not a guarantee because a college will have to have a need for a particular player and the recruiter will need to see the kid for himself, but a coach talking to that recruiter about the character of the kid and the skills they have seen the kid exhibit will be a big factor. Not having that advocate will make the journey that much more difficult.

If a dad has the contacts, that's fine. Most dads don't. The good programs have been around for a while, it's their job to help their players get recruited. They make it their business to develop contacts and relationships. I believe it really does matter.

BINGO! Well said!
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

When my son got committed, he played on the top team at one of the top organizations. Did that help him get committed, no it didn't. He got committed on his own. What I mean by that is, he did the PG Showcase and then went to a college camp at a school he was interested in. His travel ball team didn't even know he was going to the college camp. He committed a couple of days later and then called his travel ball team to tell them he committed.

Now, does it help to play on a top team, absolutely it does. The main point of this is to say, don't depend on other people to make things happen for your son.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of work the player and family will have to do no matter what you do for a travel team. However, having a coach that will vouch for your son, that will make calls to recruiters to come out and see him, who will follow up, who has a relationship with recruiters who those recruiters trust are all icing on the cake and help more than you would know.

I believe what 15uBaseball said below will be a big help. Not everything and not a guarantee and not something that will get the job done without hard work on the part of the family and player, but a big help for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by 15UBaseball

My son was fortunate enough to play on a team whose head of the organization went above and beyond to call coaches and would welcome calls. He would not lie told the 100% truth about my son's abilities and attitude but would really focus on the positive things my son brought to the table.
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  15:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again all good points. We did everything we could on our end but without this coach in his corner he would not have had the opportunities he got. If your son is an above average HS baseball player. I mean top 3 on the team he should be ok, but if just average player you better have more than some highlight videos and emails. Kids get lost in a big tryout or showcase. Good bit depends on the school you are trying to go to as well. If you son can run that is a huge plus. Strong arm huge plus. Pitcher or Catcher you are golden. Just curious bama21 what position did your son play?
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  08:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He plays multiple positions and pitches. He is committed as a 2-way, until someone tells him otherwise.

I definitely get what you are saying, as a player you have to do something that stands out or you can easily get lost in the pack. It's great if you have a coach or even coaches getting your name out there, you better believe knowing someone in the right position can open a lot of doors. With that said, we didn't have that luxury, so we thank God that he blessed our son with a good bit of talent.

One last thing, playing on a top team and with a top organization can be rewarding, but it is also easy to get lost in the pack. If everyone is very talented, then it's also not so easy to get noticed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000