General Discussion
 Who works harder?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  12:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for the masses, do you think that kids who aren’t “as talented” or “as big” work harder than kids who are “more talented” or “bigger?”

I ask because I hear similar sentiments a lot. Examples:

The player hit puberty later so he had to work harder to keep up.

The kid is smaller so he has to work harder to get where he is.

I would love to hear as many thoughts and examples as possible.

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  15:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every Kid is different

For the smaller kids to compete at the higher levels lets say D1/Major, I think they have to work harder to keep up. But its all over the map.

Overall, I think the kids that work the hardest are the kids that want to succeed and have success more, and the other physical or talent factors should not matter. The kids that quickly understand you have to earn your position and playing time, and decide they really want it. Those are the kids that work harder.

quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

Question for the masses, do you think that kids who aren’t “as talented” or “as big” work harder than kids who are “more talented” or “bigger?”

I ask because I hear similar sentiments a lot. Examples:

The player hit puberty later so he had to work harder to keep up.

The kid is smaller so he has to work harder to get where he is.

I would love to hear as many thoughts and examples as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  14:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo SemiPro. At some level (15?) Everyone has to work hard to make it to the next level. Just the personal sacrifices high school players make indicate they are mostly pretty hard workers. Not all smaller kids have to necessarily put more personal time into their craft than big kids but they tend to have to work harder during practice and game time to prove their worth on the field where bigger kids are often just assumed to be better so the little guys have to strive for perfection..throw strikes, no errors, get on base any way they can. But at the end of the day I think a huge piece of the puzzle is attitude. Attitude and approach often gets them further than work, big or small. A great attitude and being a true team player has served mine well, time and again.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 10/07/2018 15:22:31
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  17:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it works both ways. Smaller players who aren't projectable, especially pitchers in this day and age of the bigger, longer athlete. You have to have talent, the hard work is separate. Bigger players work hard as well but i think they get more of an opportunity at first glance, attract more attention and are forgiven more due to the projectability. All have to outwork guys on their team and others to get to the next level. All of this get weeded out at the college level, you either produce and get time or you dont. Many a projectable player withers away at that level and so do the smaller power arms. If you can hit, you will play, if you can throw strikes and command the zone regardless of the environment, you will play.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  08:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all about your goals. The little kid has to work harder than the talented kid to be able to stick around and play with the good competition.

The super good pre-puberty kid has to work harder to remain on top, because boys are lined up around the corner just waiting to take his spot on the college roster or MLB.

Many kids can get away with not working too hard, but if they keep that up for too long they will find themselves left behind by the other kids who have decided they want a shot at the prize and they are skipping dates, and parties, and being a kid to accomplish that goal. One of the biggest travesties is that talent is wasted on the young who have no idea what to do with it.

Go to Top of Page

Fci678

4 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  19:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youth is wasted on the young, not talent#128513;
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  10:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fci678

Youth is wasted on the young, not talent#128513;

Not many 60 year olds can bit a 90 mph fastball, LOL!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000