New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Attaboy

8 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  13:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who does everyone have this weekend? I know the easy choice is Astros Orange. Hopefully the Astros coaching change leads to results that match the talent level. The Orange team looks really strong but you have to question the C depth based on this week's roster. The Navy roster looks solid all the way through.

It seems weird not to have the Chili Dogs and 45s in the mix. Did the majority of the CDs stick together when Mobley stayed at 11u? PG has the 45s ranked preseason in the top 25 in the country...I don't think they know the team disbanded when Crane left.

I'd like to see SGSA come to Atlanta more this summer but certainly understand that is a long haul and gets expensive.

I'm curious to see how the long time OP kids adjust to a new HC at 643. I imagine it will do them a world of good.

The Gamers have stuck together with pretty much the same roster for years. Sanders must be doing something right on the southside.

I'm interested to see how Ocee does when the big boy isn't on the bump. He can beat anyone but can the rest keep up.

Don't sleep on Excel. It looks like they have a few former 45s and my bet is they will be tough.

Meridian gets as much out of the talent they have as any team. I'm curious to see if they picked up any new talent.

Will Signature Park put it together this year after a wildly inconsistent 11u season?

Are the Titans even relevant any more? They seem to get worse every year in this age group.

Gatravelbaseball

32 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is it that you call into question Orange's C depth "based on this week's roster" when they show two players listed as Cs, yet you declare Navy as "solid all the way through" with only one player listed as C?

Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Attaboy

8 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  13:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My point on Navy was that they don't have the "names" that are on Orange but they are solid. I do believe they have another C as well that is listed at multiple spots.

I think GAP may have lost a few guys from last year. Hopefully they found solid replacements.

I wasn't aware DoublePlay was the old Club team. That was a streaky team that could hit the baseball when on.

Any idea on the Team Elite offerings this season?

The Cougars needed to get bigger. 12u is a race to puberty where the kids that hammer the baseball can have huge seasons with the -5 bats. If they did that, I would agree.

Go to Top of Page

TRB

39 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  16:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excel will be in ATL a good bit. We'll be there this weekend and the Super NIT in a few weeks. We plan on being at a lot more.

Astros Orange have the best top flight pitching of anyone and it's not that close IMO.

Astros Navy is really solid top to bottom. That middle infield they have is about as good as you'll find. The don't have the arms that the Orange have, but they'll be able to play with anyone.

SGSA Sharks was a really good looking team last year. They have a few kids that are freaks.

Agree with what you said on Meridian. When their bats get going, they're tough to deal with.

The coach of DoublePlays has always done a good job in the past. No reason to think he won't with this group.

I'm excited about this weekend. It will tell us a lot.
Go to Top of Page

TRB

39 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  16:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cougars were the most surprising to me.

Astros Orange roster is unreal. Their lineup offensively is murderer's row.

Good weekend of baseball.

Go to Top of Page

baseballdad101

5 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  12:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened to Colt 45 team from the last few years? The PG roster has new kids and coach. That wasn't the most talented team but they could go!

Watch out for my Coastal Barnstormers this weekend. We are looking forward to playing the Astros this weekend and seeing what they have!

Edited by - baseballdad101 on 03/07/2019 13:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Baseballparent25

3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  19:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious of your thoughts now that all teams have some tourneys under their belts.....
I
quote:
Originally posted by Attaboy

Who does everyone have this weekend? I know the easy choice is Astros Orange. Hopefully the Astros coaching change leads to results that match the talent level. The Orange team looks really strong but you have to question the C depth based on this week's roster. The Navy roster looks solid all the way through.

It seems weird not to have the Chili Dogs and 45s in the mix. Did the majority of the CDs stick together when Mobley stayed at 11u? PG has the 45s ranked preseason in the top 25 in the country...I don't think they know the team disbanded when Crane left.

I'd like to see SGSA come to Atlanta more this summer but certainly understand that is a long haul and gets expensive.

I'm curious to see how the long time OP kids adjust to a new HC at 643. I imagine it will do them a world of good.

The Gamers have stuck together with pretty much the same roster for years. Sanders must be doing something right on the southside.

I'm interested to see how Ocee does when the big boy isn't on the bump. He can beat anyone but can the rest keep up.

Don't sleep on Excel. It looks like they have a few former 45s and my bet is they will be tough.

Meridian gets as much out of the talent they have as any team. I'm curious to see if they picked up any new talent.

Will Signature Park put it together this year after a wildly inconsistent 11u season?

Are the Titans even relevant any more? They seem to get worse every year in this age group.

Go to Top of Page

2seamfbaway

8 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  11:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseballparent25

Just curious of your thoughts now that all teams have some tourneys under their belts.....
I
quote:

From the original...
Astros Orange and SGSA have proven to be the top teams in the state by a decent margin.

643 Cougars and Gamers Sanders are probably next.

Excel, Meridian and Astros Navy round out the top teams.

Ocee has not played the bigger events so that probably answers the question. They seem to be a solid AAA team with maybe a couple majors level players.

Signature Park still seems a little inconsistent but has had some good wins and seems to be getting better. I'd put them just behind the group above.

Do Titans still have a team at 12U - haven't seen them anywhere?

Some teams not mentioned that have proven to be in the mix with top 10 teams are Double Plays, Warriors Cooley and Ninth Inning with some pretty good wins.
Go to Top of Page

Pop the Chain

7 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  13:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseballparent25

I
quote:

I know you're asking him, but he pretty much got it right. Astros Orange and Sharks are the class of majors division in Georgia. Based on what I've seen the Panthers, Gamers, 643, Excel, and Warriors would be the second group. Astros Navy is talented but they can't seem to put it together. SP Bears and Ocee are not in the same class as the ones mentioned above IMO. The 45's aren't even in the discussion. I haven't seen the Titans in any tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

Chet

21 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  05:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 2 seam has it right. Astros Orange pitching is turning out to be better than its hitting but both are top notch. SGSA is scary and if Astros big arm doesn’t go 6 they likely beat him. SP has big kids and several top level arms, seems like they always end up with draws that aren’t conducive to getting in the gold bracket: Double plays is legit. Ninth inning is too but they seem to lack the big kids that most other teams have 1-2 of. Cooley is the real deal as well. Those last three aren’t the typical names in this age group but have all proven their worth at the top major level, they just aren’t in the national level debate with Astros and SGSA.

I know they are mentioned earlier but the Excel team is really fun to watch. Well coached group of boys and a ton of talent. They are also in my top 10. Last one I wouldn’t sleep on is 643 jags. They have developed a couple of big arms that were really raw in the fall but are putting it together now.
Go to Top of Page

Allstarsvt

22 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  14:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget 5 star buhler.

Go to Top of Page

Chet

21 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  19:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point. 5 star was absolutely solid.
Go to Top of Page

South GA Baseball

22 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  09:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"SGSA is scary and if Astros big arm doesn’t go 6 they likely beat him."

The 103 pitches he threw was a little much for me but since Perfect game allows innings instead of pitch count there is no rule against it.
Go to Top of Page

Pop the Chain

7 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  13:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by South GA Baseball

"SGSA is scary and if Astros big arm doesn’t go 6 they likely beat him."

The 103 pitches he threw was a little much for me but since Perfect game allows innings instead of pitch count there is no rule against it.

Why? Is 100 too much? What's the magic number? I don't understand the prevailing thought on this. When a pitcher is tired, he is tired. If that is pitch 35 or pitch 103 then it is what it is. That kids dad is a HS coach, he is heavily involved with him. If it were "too much" for the kid, I'm reasonably certain the dad would have pulled the plug.

You gotta beat who the other team throws. Good for the Astros for making it to a Ship with him still available. They have done some head scratching stuff all year with pitchers, glad to see he was available. The Sharks are as good as you can find, but that kid ain't the only one on that roster that can or has beaten them.
Go to Top of Page

NMB19

1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with “pop the chain”.. We should get rid of pitch counts all together. If the kid feels good he should be able to throw as many pitches as he wants..
Go to Top of Page

Pop Fisher

7 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  13:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If kid feels good. What kid isn't going to tell you he doesn't feel good.
Probably the most obtuse comment I've read here.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

275 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  08:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine whomever is advocating for no pitch counts does not have a son that pitches on a regular basis and if you do, then you are the reason that they were created (along with coaches that are also insane). Personally, I believe the pitch limits are not strict enough.

Overuse is the number one reason for arm injury, which could lead to permanent damage. Just watch the so-called stud pitchers at this age and see how many of them are still studs at 16 and 17. If the parents are not involved and limiting, not only the number of pitches, but also how often they pitch, then the kid will not be there when it matters. Winning at this age makes absolutely no difference in the scheme of things.
Go to Top of Page

Catmagic

1 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  11:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“...get rid of pitch counts all together.”
“...he should be able to throw as many pitches as he wants.”

REALLY?! Wow. Winning is that important to you guys? And at 12? Pathetic.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

275 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  12:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect Game adopted the "Pitch Smart" guidelines, which are pitch count limits that are based on age.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball19

1 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  20:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rewind the clock, the Astros faced off with the Sharks one year ago in South Carolina SNT and guess what the results was 12-3 favoring the Astros. In the only two match up with these teams the Astros has out score the Sharks 20-3. They put their Ace on the mound and so did the Astros. When is the last time a team won a game when scoring zero runs.

Edited by - Baseball19 on 05/07/2019 09:05:07
Go to Top of Page

2seamfbaway

8 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  14:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think NMB was being sarcastic (hopefully). I do agree though that some kids get tired at 50-60 pitches, while others its 80-85+, so it is hard to identify a magic number of a limit. I believe most all coaches and parents watch for fatigue and care. We don’t know what kind of arm care program anyone is on or what kids do throwing-wise between outings. One kid may throw 100 pitches and not throw much else for a week. Another kid may throw 80 pitches but threw 30 in practice the day before and then played C the game before he pitched causing his arm to be a lot more tired at 80 than the other kid at 100. Point is, one number may not tell the whole story so we should be careful in judging. Still, I agree there should be some limit to keep overuse in check. No kid is going to be harmed by having to come out when he maybe could have pitched another 15-20 pitches and been fine.
Go to Top of Page

South GA Baseball

22 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  15:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitch Smart guidelines state that 85 pitches is the maximum allowed in one day for 12U. Perfect Game has gone away from Pitch Smart guidelines in certain tournaments and uses innings. I stated my OPINION that 103 was a little much for me. It does nothing to take away from an incredible performance by that young man who is an outstanding pitcher or the performance of a very good Astros Orange team on that Sunday.

Everyone else who wants to leave the pitch count up to the kid or just let them throw as much as they want should be restricted from coaching at this age group.
Go to Top of Page

Pop the Chain

7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  08:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by South GA Baseball

Pitch Smart guidelines state that 85 pitches is the maximum allowed in one day for 12U. Perfect Game has gone away from Pitch Smart guidelines in certain tournaments and uses innings. I stated my OPINION that 103 was a little much for me. It does nothing to take away from an incredible performance by that young man who is an outstanding pitcher or the performance of a very good Astros Orange team on that Sunday.

Everyone else who wants to leave the pitch count up to the kid or just let them throw as much as they want should be restricted from coaching at this age group.

I don't think anyone in the topic wants to leave it up to the kid. I think the guy above was being sarcastic. I agree there has to be some kind of guideline. My original point was that it's not a one size fits all. I just don't know when a certain number of pitches became the magic number. Like a poster above said, some kids can handle it, some can't. I think a good coach knows when a kid is tired regardless of the number of pitches.
Go to Top of Page

UGAGrad99

3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  11:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PG only got rid of Pitch Smart in the legacy Triple Crown events. Since Triple Crown used innings, they are still using them for their Perfect Game events this year. It is posted that next year (Fall 2019) ALL Perfect Game events will be Pitch Smart.
Go to Top of Page

Around_the_Horn

31 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  12:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin Abel

I’ll leave this right here.
Go to Top of Page

PVPanthers

44 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  09:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another effect of Pitch Smart is the development of more pitchers. Teams can't just rely on a couple big arms to pitch each game and get them through. The Pitch Smart rules are more challenging for a coach to manage and plan for.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-19 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000