General Discussion
 PG+Diamondkast+Pitchsmart=Complete Disaster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UGAGrad99

6 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  11:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PG change to Pitchsmart is a complete disaster. The kids they pay to keep the scores don't pay attention and don't see the most basic of pitching changes. I get if a new pitcher comes out to start an inning but there is no excuse to miss a pitching change during an inning. There is no confidence in the Pitchsmart reports and once coaches learn they can tell the field directors two days after a game "We e-mailed PG and let them know it was wrong" and the field director takes their word, coaches will manipulate the system. At least under the old rules, coaches had to verify the pitchers and it was on them if it was wrong. There needs to be some accountability either by coaches verification or hiring better scorekeepers.

redsox23

98 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  21:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would much rather go through the process of comparing the stats with the PG scorekeeper every half inning (which is what we do every at every PG event) than let some coach ruin a kids future by watching him go "6-7 innings" on a weekend but throwing 150+ pitches. We have also had to get stats corrected because of a mid inning change was made in the last inning and missed by the scorekeeper. If the email was sent it is easily verified by the field director. We have been doing PG events for 5 years and I would much rather go with Pitchsmart rules than inning limits per weekend.
Go to Top of Page

gabbdad24

28 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  22:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each team should be given one free DK account and then have to assign someone to be responsible for checking and verifying the stats at the end of the game. Teams used to have to keep a book and coaches would sign off on innings pitched, so it’s not much more of a burden. Emailing way after a game is over is not good because at that point a coach can say anything and there’s no way to verify it.
Go to Top of Page

UGAGrad99

6 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  06:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree the Pitchsmart rules are much better but not perfect. It also forces coaches to actually manage their pitching rather than ride a couple horses for an entire tournament. I saw some teams at the Major level this weekend get to the semis but had no significant pitching left. However, for that reason, coaches who only want to win hate it and will game the system. For example, we had a kid throw 20 pitches (and that also agreed to the play by play in Diamondkast because we were calling out each pitch count to our coach from Diamondkast so he didn't miss the cutoff) but on the Pitchsmart report, he shows no pitches thrown. I can't even figure out how that can happen! Also, Diamondkast had one of our kids at 14 pitches while GC showed he was at 22. My son threw 32 pitches and the report shows him with only 20. If coaches see that the reports are going to have discrepancies like this, they will game the system. My main point is that there needs to be a verification by the coaches and if they choose not to do it, PG should say the PitchSmart report stands. This is similar to the old system if the coach signed the scorecard and it was wrong, they couldn't argue it after the fact.

Edited by - UGAGrad99 on 03/09/2020 09:32:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000