General Discussion
 Showcase's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

old dragon

11 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  11:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is best for getting a player noticed? A College showcase or PG and PBR showcase's? Any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks

old dragon

11 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2021 :  11:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by old dragon

What is best for getting a player noticed? A College showcase or PG and PBR showcase's? Any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks

I will throw out my experience from the last couple of weeks since it doesn't seem like anyone else has an opinion...

USA showcase at Cool Ray field this past weekend is all about $$$ College showcase that was put on at a college seemed to be more about trying to find players for the schools!
Go to Top of Page

Harry.Doyle

8 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2021 :  14:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents based on feedback from others who have navigated this process. Showcases that advertise these 10+ schools will have coaches are typically money grabs. There are no guarantees those headline schools will even be there. That is not all of them, making a generalization. But I would avoid them. A PG/PBR/etc showcases is good for determining where your kid fits among their peers. If your kid is on a team playing PG or PBR tourneys, it should be pretty obvious where they sit amongst their class. If you want exit velos or metrics to share, then a PG showcase will capture those. Also, be sure your kid has something to show off. Athletic freaks are going to standout. But if you run a 9 sec 60 or can't break 80 off the mound as a 17 year old, you might want to invest that money somewhere else.

Spend time as a family identifying 2 or 3 schools at each level that fit academically, financially and geographically. Look online for camps hosted on campus at those schools as they are the best chances to get looks from coaching staff. Follow the social media accounts for those teams to learn about the programs. Be sure your kid has SAT/ACT scores (or at least PSAT/PACT) to share and a good GPA. Have your kid work on sending emails to coaches, express their interest in the school academically and athletically before going in person. Include links to the kid's social media accounts and have good quality highlights. I've seen some kids create specific Twitter and Insta accounts to include just baseball highlights.

Work with your kid on how to speak to coaches in person. I've seen several kids fumble intros and leave coaches unimpressed. Coaches look for a kid to shake their hand, introduce themselves and speak confidently without the "um's" and "likes". Mommy and Daddy can't be there to coach them through the conversation. So don't be the helicopter parent. The parents are being judged as well. When your kid goes to college, they have to be an adult, handle adversity in the classroom and on the field, manage their time, be accountable, all without Mommy and Daddy babysitting them.

To summarize...
* avoid big showcases that advertise the headline baseball programs unless someone you trust tells you otherwise
* attend a PG/PBR showcase if you need video or metrics, but don't over do it, be sure you have something to showcase or it's money down the drain
* attend camps at the schools your kid is interested in
* communicate with coaches via email and social media, share a desire to be a part of the program and include grade info and highlights
* work on talking to adults and putting their best foot forward when the opportunity presents itself
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000