General Discussion
 The reality of baseball after travel ball and HS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Original Big Daddy

2 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2022 :  11:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this site was banging for years and now it's quiet. Too bad man, we had a lot of fun here over the last 12-13 years. So to stir things up, I thought I'd post something about the reality of baseball after travel ball and high school based on my experience. I currently have 2 college players and one player in pro ball and all 3 had similar experiences that I will touch on.

1. First and foremost, college baseball is a business and nothing else. The coaches are awesome during recruitment and once you get there, I have seen top players get cut in the fall for one reason or another. Usually the team has 50+ players that they neglect to let you know about and they will cut your kid without hesitation for lack of performance, injury, or any other reason that they see fit. I've also seen kids that committed as sophomores in HS, only to have scholarships pulled BEFORE they get to the college at the very last minute, ruining their chance to be recruited elsewhere. It's truly a cut throat business. I would recommend committing to a college as late as possible, but that is just me.

2. Almost every player that I know, as well as our 3 boys have had significant injuries. We've had 2 TJ's and one ACL/MCL in our house. Missing a year is terrible and one coach took my sons scholarship because he couldn't play. See #1. Injuries happen and likely multiple injuries will happen, so don't be shocked if and when it does. These kids are putting a lot of stress on their bodies every day and eventually it breaks.

3. I'm not sure of the percentage, but it seems like a LOT of kids don't make it more than a year with the college they committed to in high school for one reason or another. I guess see #1 again. Lack of playing time, 50+ kids on the fall roster, whatever the reason, there is a TON of movement.

3. Whether its 12 or 40, baseball comes to an end and it's really hard to watch these kids hang up the cleats, especially after baseball represented nearly all of their lives. We are still hanging on thankfully for a little longer.

4. Velo has changed a lot over the last 10+ years. 95 is the new 90 and so many kids get recruited simply because of velo but can't pitch. It is a real problem in my opinion.

That's all I could think about and have to get back to work. Hope this gets a dialogue going again so we can have fun again on this site!!

Edited by - The Original Big Daddy on 05/20/2022 13:17:52

FutureRobot

14 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2022 :  10:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Original Big Daddy

4. Velo has changed a lot over the last 10+ years. 95 is the new 90 and so many kids get recruited simply because of velo but can't pitch. It is a real problem in my opinion.

Agreed. Kids should learn to throw strikes, and then learn to thrown them harder. Coaches will put anyone with a gun on the mound. Not to mention some kids are only throwing that hard by overexerting themselves, risking injury. I'll take someone that can nail locations and switch up pitches over that any day.
Go to Top of Page

illini20

1 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2022 :  15:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll spin the discussion a bit...if you could get a mulligan on your boys years between 11U and 14U what, if anything, would you have done differently?
Go to Top of Page

The Original Big Daddy

2 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2022 :  10:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by illini20

I'll spin the discussion a bit...if you could get a mulligan on your boys years between 11U and 14U what, if anything, would you have done differently?

Good question. Sitting here thinking about it, I would say that I wish I would have cared a little less and had more fun. But with that said, that all depends on the kid. 1 of ours slept with a glove under their pillow and couldn't get enough, and the other 2 needed to be pushed hard and wanted to quit every other day, which was frustrating. For the 1 grinder, high level baseball was fun and for the other 2, playing with their friends kept them there and that was about it. Once their individual talent was apparent to them, they eventually figured out that baseball could be a route to get a scholarship in college and potentially post college play, which it did. They also were very competitive and that grew as they go older. 16U seemed to be a big year for both.

The last thing I will say aboout the 11-15U years is that college coaches aren't looking at your kids yet so don't worry about that. Look at the top teams at 16U and you will see the college scouts watching them, but that's about it. If there is a 15U kid trowing 90, they might take a peek. So with that in mind, let the individul kid do what they want to have e fun.

Edited by - The Original Big Daddy on 05/24/2022 18:44:32
Go to Top of Page

NorcrossBBall

55 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2022 :  10:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FutureRobot

quote:
Originally posted by The Original Big Daddy

Agreed. Kids should learn to throw strikes, and then learn to thrown them harder. Coaches will put anyone with a gun on the mound. Not to mention some kids are only throwing that hard by overexerting themselves, risking injury. I'll take someone that can nail locations and switch up pitches over that any day.

Going to repsectfully disagree......but it depends what your target is....JUCO, D3, D2 or D1. The higher your kid is targeting the more velo is the need....NOT the location. Strikes are important but 80-85mph is BP at College....no matter how crafty the kid is. You want get on College radars (pun intended) they will come look at your kid as P....1) Velo....88min.....90 when is really starts. 2) Secondary pitch with command....THIS is where command matters for College Coaches. 3) BODY...6' or under 150lbs....nope.....6'2" - 6'4" 190-210.

There are always exceptions and if the tough metrics don't apply to your kid then focus on 2yr JUCO to develop them.

My advice.....is learn how to throw hard (ie. mechanics, gym, dry work, long toss, etc). If there isn't weekly program that includes all of this they aren't doing work to get there....this is why kids are POs....takes this kind of work....and RECOVERY. Thus...learn how make the hard FBs into strikes....not other way around....why ?....because throwing strikes slow is easy....lotta kids can do that....and any time you go up in velo the accuracy drops off....so START with velo training and learn how to be effective at those levels. Also forget CB (HS and below pitch)...for college learn early how throw hard slider or hard change that can be located. You want this for two reasons....more effective AND the kid can learn throw it as he does the FB.

It is funny to me everyone always points Greg Maddux.
Do your homework.....he was a 93mph FB guy out of HS.....with 2 secondaries he placed off it. Even with this he was local Vegas kid who went to college there....not some Power 5. Over his career his FB fell in velo and he used more of the secondary....which he has masterful on because he was the originator of analytics....he kept book on all hitters he faced. My point, understand the realities of College and align your kid to success....not false expectations. Velo is first thing Coaches ask...and also (besides clip board) the one thing they bring to every game..radar gun.

In this order they will look at.......
1 - FB Velo
2 - Secondary pitch type and velo (they are looking see how this maps to FB...does it look/feel like FB with pace)
3 - Body and its scalability
4 - Team he plays on (HS & Travel) which equates to comp level
5 - Body of work.....is there 16U onward documented info
6 - Grades

Edited by - NorcrossBBall on 05/28/2022 15:08:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000