New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

momshell

103 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a home too!!! Crazy season is over for us and on to a new year!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

maryland

96 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  00:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe all you moms check out the 12U Milton Mallards, a new team in Milton, Georgia. For information go to "12u Openings and Tryouts Forum" and get information about a new approach to look at Travel Ball. No coaches have sons on this team.

Edited by - maryland on 09/16/2011 08:39:11
Go to Top of Page

b@s3b@11

23 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  21:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked this on the age board too but should've come straight to y'all.

Do coaches generally call or email with offers?

And what's the etiquette as far deferring an answer for a few days?
Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  14:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b@s3b@11

I asked this on the age board too but should've come straight to y'all.

Do coaches generally call or email with offers?

And what's the etiquette as far deferring an answer for a few days?

With the money we are about to shell out - our son had better get a phone call!! LOL! Seriously - we've only gotten phone calls. First couple of years they talked to parents - last two years it was to our son. We talk extensively as a family about choices and priorities and coaches and other players. We do our homework long before the silly season begins so we are prepared.

As others in the main forum post said - just be honest. It's too small of a baseball world to be dishonest. Coaches know who is trying out where. By starting out with an honest relationship, it sets the stage moving forward. Last year we delayed an answer for several weeks but told the coach why we needed to do that. He was fine with it and "held" the space for our son. We felt no pressure to answer as we had been up front. This team was our first choice anyway we just had a tryout commitment we had to fulfill. Both coaches knew where he stood the whole time... we would not have felt right had we not been upfront.
Go to Top of Page

b@s3b@11

23 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  17:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbmom2

With the money we are about to shell out - our son had better get a phone call!!

Right?! I've already figured out that there are just as many flaky coaches out there as there are flaky parents (or almost as many). Our first tryout season has been a good experience though. I did my homework too (I'm just one of those OCD information freaks!) so we knew what we were walking into with each team my son worked out with.

We feel good about where we've ended up. While it was tempting to go for the most elite team, we knew the right fit wasn't there yet. I kind of felt like we would get eaten alive. I'd rather have a good experience all around and I think we've found it.

Now I'm ready to play some baseball!
Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  19:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b@s3b@11

quote:
Originally posted by bbmom2

With the money we are about to shell out - our son had better get a phone call!!

We feel good about where we've ended up. While it was tempting to go for the most elite team, we knew the right fit wasn't there yet. I kind of felt like we would get eaten alive. I'd rather have a good experience all around and I think we've found it.

Enjoy and have an awesome year!!
Go to Top of Page

Ballpark_Weenies

7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  23:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though these posts are a couple of years old, they are still helpful. Thanks for the insight.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  09:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as another year goes by, this thread comes back into the reality that is travel ball in July.........
This is a first for me as we have simply "Walked-On" after the first workout the last 3 years and "Committed".....Even though we had fun and our son grew and got better. We were Overall disappointed in the performance of the teams we were on. This years approach will be different. We are somewhat Shopping and I am not too concerned if we get call backs or not. Every year there seem to be teams adding players in the late fall and even Winter.......I feel like an Agent
Go to Top of Page

bbsis

42 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  10:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rumor (and truthfully i might add) has it most of the teams only have a few openings. would like to know how many returning players know FOR SURE that they are still on the team but must attend tryouts anyway. or would knowing that you made the team in advance ruin the sham of paying a "tryout" fee for all the others who would like to earn one of the few remaining spots on the team?
Go to Top of Page

baseballdandy

51 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  13:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can say our team has only a few core players (3-5) that know they have a spot on the team. My son is one of those. I do feel it is important for him to go to the tryouts to 1) show his support for his team and coaches 2) Represent what the core talent looks like to those new players looking at the team and 3) There are other returning players trying out who like to see and know the players they enjoyed playing with will still be on the team with them. I have other strong feelings about why my son should try out but those are in response to your scenario, at least I think they are. The big difference is, however, our tryouts are free this year.
Go to Top of Page

bbsis

42 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  19:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dandy, awesome to have a spot (and your son must like the team to be staying). how do you/your son know that the spot is a sure thing besides possibly dad being the coach? and if that is the case, how does the coach convey that information to the 3-5 players? are those players satisfied enough to stay that they will not be attending tryouts elsewhere?
Go to Top of Page

baseballdandy

51 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  10:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry bbsis, I totally missed your reply above. While you do not need my response at this late date, I am going to respond for future Moms reading through and "trying to navigate" these travel ball waters. The coach communicated to us in private that he definitely wanted my son to return for the next year. Our coach did not have a kid on the team so it was not a "Dad" situation. After a lackluster season, he knew he needed to rebuild in some ways and wanted us to understand what his goals were and that my son would be one of the core players he wanted to keep. Even though the season stats were not what we wanted, my son still learned and progressed in his skills which, next to maintaining his love of the game, is most important to us. It really made us, and the other core players, want to support the coach more. That said, there is still a bit of unease in that rebuilding process as to what the quality of the "New" team will look like. I could say a lot more about our personal experience but I'll keep it brief and say that I think the parent has to do what's in the best interest of your child, follow your gut and do your homework. If you feel comfortable that the team is moving in the direction that is best for your son, then you would be in a great spot. If you begin to have too much uncertainty regarding the status of the team and/or the rebuilding process, I think you owe it to your son to explore his options. At least then you have choices and can feel better about your decision, whatever that ends up being.

Edited by - baseballdandy on 02/24/2016 10:53:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000