Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RobDa

33 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  13:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time listener + first time caller

Midtown area traveling north to Cobb , Fulton , Gwinnet where can a high school boy play spring-time baseball if didnt make his high school team ?

What should we expect for practices games and expenses?

Thanx

injunchief2

76 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  14:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Southern Prospect League
www.southernprospect.com

pricey, but at least they will be active
Go to Top of Page

klhmlh

42 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  15:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would usually be REC ball until summer travel started or there is a new organization that is supposed to compete with High School. www.southernprospect.com

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  15:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try these guys. I think they are about it for spring for the HS age. This is their first year in existence here in Georgia, so not many will know much about them.

http://www.southernprospect.com/Home_Page.html
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  21:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone heard anything from southern prospects
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  23:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by loveforthegame25

Anyone heard anything from southern prospects
[/quote]

MY SON THOUGHT ABOUT PLAYING IN THE SPRING FOR SP. MET WITH THE OWNER AND A COACH ONCE. SEEMS LIKE A GOOD OPTION. AS IT GETS OLDER IT SHOULD GET BETTER. SEEMS LIKE THEY NEED TO MARKET IT A LITTLE BETTER. AS FAR AS THIS YEAR. I BELIEVE THEY WILL PLAY. AND PROBALY PRETTY GOOD GAMES. I WOULD PERFER TO PLAY THIS LEAGUE...BUT THE FACT IS THE BEST PLAYERS ARE STILL PLAYING SCHOOL BALL.
Go to Top of Page

yarddog

48 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  00:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a SP game this spring, however the website isn't much help.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  09:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the time SP is able to gain any critical mass my son will have moved on from HS, but you would think that they would be pushing the heck out of their inaugural teams, rosters, coaching staffs and really trying to make a splash with a big Opening Day.

They could spotlight all 4 teams with a Saturday/Sunday Round Robin and really set the stage for this year and next. As it is, it's a mystery what kind of players thought this was the best option, who will be coaching besides the head coaches and what kind of schedule they are playing.

A big selling point has been that this will be a better way for kids to be seen by scouts. There doesn't seem to be anything that would attract scouts any more than a HS game.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  16:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roswell and Wills park both have fairly robust rec league programs for the 15-18 year old age group.
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

Roswell and Wills park both have fairly robust rec league programs for the 15-18 year old age group.

ARE THESE SPRING LEAGUES?
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarddog

I'd like to see a SP game this spring, however the website isn't much help.

I wish they would be more transparent. That would make the decision easy. I would love to see them be successful.
And their cost are out of line. Be successful before charging for everything...including "tryouts". Its not the money, its the feeling you get that its the most important thing.
Great concept though.
Are you guys out there....would love to here from you.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  19:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
90mh- yes the roswell and wills leagues are spring programs and i think they also play against each other given the proximity. if you are interested call 77-569-9746 and ask for steven or jonathon. they are at hembree park in roswell and can give you the details.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  08:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

90mh- yes the roswell and wills leagues are spring programs and i think they also play against each other given the proximity. if you are interested call 77-569-9746 and ask for steven or jonathon. they are at hembree park in roswell and can give you the details.

Sandy Plains also has a 15-18 league. It is usually kids that were pretty decent, often quit for a year or two, maybe for the 10-14 years, and came back to play for fun.

Dads "coach", i.e. they have coaches and it is competitive, but not fiercely so. On my son's (the one who doesn't play any more) team, the players did the line up and coached the bases. The coaches decided who pitched and made pitching changes.

It was relaxing and fun.

Nobody won a world championship, though.
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  13:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jongamefan

ROB: what we hear of the SP program is that not only they dont release their rosters but dont release their schedule too

This got us to thinking about who will they play beside themselfs ?

Somebody out out there tell if Im wrong but isn't it forbidden for GSHA member schools to play another that is not a member even if called a practice or exibition?

Take those teams outta there and who is left to play ??

From what they said to me was, round robin with their teams, home school leagues and someone else that I can not remember....of course.
As far as the round robin, we have done that in another state with a same type of set up. It worked fine. You get reps, and see differant pitching. No idea how the home schoolers are. Even though I have known a lot of good players that are home schooled.
And just for an FYI, my son has decided not to play in this league....this year. So I am just trying to tell what I know of them.
But I really hope that it "takes off".
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  14:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jongamefan

ROB: what we hear of the SP program is that not only they dont release their rosters but dont release their schedule too

This got us to thinking about who will they play beside themselfs ?

Somebody out out there tell if Im wrong but isn't it forbidden for GSHA member schools to play another that is not a member even if called a practice or exibition?

Take those teams outta there and who is left to play ??

Your are correct. GHSA members can ONLY play other members during the season.

If you guys want to know ANYTHING about these guys just ask Dave Grove he will tell you what they are trying to accomplish (no speculation is needed). I know at least two families who are playing with them and they are very happy. That should be enough. I don't want to sound like I am defending SP but if you don't know then don't speculate ask Dave.

I think initially Dave was fed up with GHSA baseball but I think now he has turn this into what can SP offer players.

Think of all the families that have complained about their particular situations (GHSA team) and realize that now someone has stepped up to offer something different. If 100 or so players think they can improve their situation then more power to them.

We play GHSA ball for all the good and not so good that comes with it.

Think back to your travel days and to all the players that were told they could not play at their local park because there is only one team. SP is that other team.

Edited by - billbclk on 02/16/2012 14:27:11
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  15:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobDa

but no names or schedule for our advance considerations plus theres a tryout fee just to be looked at and I dont get that

Well, I had a whole big response on this and decided to check their website before I said anything. Good thing I did because they updated it.

Looks like they have 3 teams. Each team lists the coach with his bio. No rosters posted. They do have practice schedules listed for each team thru February, although there is no location listed for the practices, so there is no way to go check them out. No game schedule listed yet. I wouldn't mind going by to see what this is all about, but I have no idea where they are playing. I wonder if the scouts know. Maybe they let the scouts know on the side?

I'll have to keep checking for the schedule to be posted to see if they list games and where they are going to be played. I would think it's going to be a long season for these kids playing the same two teams all spring. I guess at least their playing.
Go to Top of Page

riverdog1

19 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  19:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son plays for SP and so far we are very happy with it. It is a little pricey but we do not have to fund raise or sell anything. We will play most of our games at Legion Field in Alpharetta. Yes we will play alot of round-robins but at least they will be getting reps. The word I hear is that there will be other teams playing against us so time will tell. The season schedule will be posted very soon

The rosters are on the web site you just have to click on the team names.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  20:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input riverdog. I did find the rosters. 2 kids I recognized. One I knew would be on there, one was a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  16:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The names I recognized are pretty good players.

More baseball outlets = Better for the players.

Would love to see a game, but my schedule won't allow it.
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2playersmom

We talked to the organizer of Prospects and he was very forthcoming with information

Our only holdback was that it is all wooden bats and our oldest did not want to do that all spring .

We did not understand why it would be wooden bats in the spring

Just curious, why would that be the thing that would keep him from playing? By all accounts, as long as the wood bat is the same weight and length, no harm to the swing. Just if the ball is not "squared up" as well it will not "pop" like metal.
If I had to guess, they are making the "field" more even.
I wish "they" (everyone) would play with wood! But I guess that is another post.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  01:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr 90 , dont matter if its "squared up" (?) or not wood isnt gonna to hit like metal .

Lotsa kids dont like the wood bats they cant hit it as hard as far

The high school kids no using wood so why do they have to? so it looks like a hi end training league ?

Game should be for fun not trying to make high school alternative kids into prospects by showing how they can hit with wood thas baloney in my book .

JHMO

quote:
Originally posted by 90mph

quote:
Originally posted by 2playersmom

We talked to the organizer of Prospects and he was very forthcoming with information

Our only holdback was that it is all wooden bats and our oldest did not want to do that all spring .

We did not understand why it would be wooden bats in the spring

Just curious, why would that be the thing that would keep him from playing? By all accounts, as long as the wood bat is the same weight and length, no harm to the swing. Just if the ball is not "squared up" as well it will not "pop" like metal.
If I had to guess, they are making the "field" more even.
I wish "they" (everyone) would play with wood! But I guess that is another post.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the creators of the league, this league is supposed to be for high level prospects to get a higher level of exposure to college coaches during the high school season. The high level prospects all play with wood during the big summer tournaments, why would it be a big deal for these kids to hit with wood? I don't know why it's a big deal.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to at least one of the reasons for the alternate option-scouts.

Apparently if you want to get scouts to your game, play Ringgold.

They played at Lassiter the other day and I'm told a number of scouts were there. I was also told that they have two kids throwing 90+. Both of these may or may not be true, but that's what I was told.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  12:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

Back to at least one of the reasons for the alternate option-scouts.

Apparently if you want to get scouts to your game, play Ringgold.

They played at Lassiter the other day and I'm told a number of scouts were there. I was also told that they have two kids throwing 90+. Both of these may or may not be true, but that's what I was told.

I understand the Hebron vs. Buford game 2 weeks ago drew 40+ scouts.
Go to Top of Page

LLH

98 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  14:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Buford vs Hebron game they were there to see Mason Felt, Josh Heddinger and Tyler Hutch. All 3 have the potential to go high in the draft.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  15:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, out of our 6 games, 3 have had scouts there that I was aware of. The three I'm not sure of were played down in Lee County. The three we played up in our neck of the woods (North Fulton), have all had scouts there watching someone.

That is the key. They are usually there to watch some stud they are interested in. However, if you are not the one they are there to watch, and you impress, you never know. The point is, that scouts do attend HS games. Being in the right place at the right time is the key. If you are there, impress. Always go all out, you never know who may be watching.

Edited by - bballman on 03/05/2012 15:19:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-20 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000