New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

EastsideBB

44 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  15:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Josh graduated last year and was undrafted. However, he got a scholarship to play at GA Tech. My co-worker is his neighbor and spoke to his father.
Go to Top of Page

bbfan24

18 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  00:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hebron-Buford game had the scouts there to see Mason Felt and Jordan Hillyer from Hebron and Sam Clay from Buford. All three pitched well but Hillyer stole the show that night. Josh did graduate and is at Tech and Jake Burnette is with the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  09:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BBALL: that could be understood.

Although we are hearing the talent level just isnt there to present it as "high level prospects "

Maybe a few but not many .

quote:
Originally posted by bballman

According to the creators of the league, this league is supposed to be for high level prospects to get a higher level of exposure to college coaches during the high school season. The high level prospects all play with wood during the big summer tournaments, why would it be a big deal for these kids to hit with wood? I don't know why it's a big deal.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  12:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was actually sort of saying that sarcasticly. Not to put down anyone who's kid is playing there, but my feeling from the start was that they would get mostly, if not all kids that couldn't or didn't make their HS team for whatever reason. Still, if any of these kids want to play at the next level, they will be evaluated at many tournaments during the summer that are wood bat tournaments, so you might as well get used to it. I really don't see anything wrong with playing with wood bats in this league. I wish HS would go to wood bats.
Go to Top of Page

Topscout

59 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  12:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bballman - Your sons primarily a pitcher right? - of course you would like to see wood bats.

The problem with wood bats is that they break. In summer this year a kid broke two bats in one AB. One was his and one he borrowed. Thats $80 to pay for the borrowed bat and another $80 to replace his own broken one. Adds up fast.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  14:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you're right about breaking them. My son actually pitches and plays in the field - at least until he goes to college in the fall. Starting off last summer, he broke like 4 bats in 4 at bats, so I feel ya there. I wound up getting him the DeMarini wood bat with the composite handle. I think it was the D243. It lasted the rest of the summer. They are more expensive, around $140, but are well worth the money. They are BBCOR approved and legal in wood bat tournaments.

Edited by - bballman on 03/10/2012 15:33:52
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  15:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

Back to at least one of the reasons for the alternate option-scouts.

Apparently if you want to get scouts to your game, play Ringgold.

They played at Lassiter the other day and I'm told a number of scouts were there. I was also told that they have two kids throwing 90+. Both of these may or may not be true, but that's what I was told.

Or Pope. At least when the kid who pitched on Friday pitches.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  17:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one thing that should be mentioned here is this- the scouts coming to the high school games previously noted are not college guys. they are pro scouts. smaller local college scouts may attend a hs game or two but its not common to see them (schedule conflicts). and the d1 guys are rarely seen at a hs game (as previously noted they see kids at their camps and thru the pg events during the summer). a college scout coming to a hs game sees how many prospects? that's the issue and why they go to the pg events. a pro scout will absolutely show up to see a single kid. the schools noted above (hebron, pope, holy innocents, ringgold) all have a high round draft pick on their teams. thats what the scout is there to see.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  23:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A1 : i cant agree .

At our high school games there are a couple scouts show up now and then .

But we dont have close to any pro round draft picks at all so it cant be pro scouts its college scouts and Ive talked with couple of them .

quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

one thing that should be mentioned here is this- the scouts coming to the high school games previously noted are not college guys. they are pro scouts. smaller local college scouts may attend a hs game or two but its not common to see them (schedule conflicts). and the d1 guys are rarely seen at a hs game (as previously noted they see kids at their camps and thru the pg events during the summer). a college scout coming to a hs game sees how many prospects? that's the issue and why they go to the pg events. a pro scout will absolutely show up to see a single kid. the schools noted above (hebron, pope, holy innocents, ringgold) all have a high round draft pick on their teams. thats what the scout is there to see.

Go to Top of Page

yarddog

48 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  06:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A1 - I can agree. My son played in a game 2 weeks ago and there were about 15 pro scouts in attendance to watch a previously signed top D-1 pitcher. No college coaches in attendance at this game. They were most likely practicing or playing a game because its in season for them. College coaches are very active in the summer.
Go to Top of Page

ecbacademy

8 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  22:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East Cobb Baseball Academy will be having a Spring High School Eligible Team in 2013 - Eligible players will be Home Schooled and/ or Players who do not make their High School Baseball team.

Eligible Age Players (Grades 9-12).

Tryout date is TBD

If interested please contact info@ecbacademy.com
Go to Top of Page

Canesalum

1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  16:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting that East Cobb wants to get involved in spring baseball. All I heard this spring was that the high school coaches were feeling threatened by Southern Prospects and the coaches pressured East Cobb to stay out and not cooperate with Southern Prospects with field use etc. Now, the high school coaches will be really upset because many of their " elite ECB players" will play EC in the spring. I think we are going to see the end of HS baseball as we have known it.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  20:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like Chance is putting this together for the Homeschool kids or ones that did not make their HS teams, not as an alternative.

The Homeschool league has been playing in the Spring at EC for years. If the HS coaches don't want to lose the kids, don't cut them from the program. There are a lot of kids that get cut from HS programs, right or wrong, that are good enough to contribute to competitive summer teams. They need a place to play that allows them to get ready for the summer season. Some bigger HS programs just have too many numbers to keep all the players and it's not like kids can go over and play for the HS next door.

I am sure Chance and EC will be strategic about their approach to this.

East Cobb will still need to keep a good relationship with
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HS coaches "may "get upset but the bottom line is: money is money. As long as ECB (or whoever) continues to pay schools to use fields and schools collect money from concessions, they will get over the fact that they are losing kids that they are going to cut anyway.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canesalum

I think we are going to see the end of HS baseball as we have known it.

I'd be surprised. If somebody asked a kid if he wanted to play for Parkview or for the East Cobb Titans (or Astros), or whatever travel team, I think the vast majority would pick their HS team. Especially if they are at a school that has some decent baseball tradition or past success.

Maybe I just have a slanted view because although my son has enjoyed most of his travel teams, the HS team is the main, no the only, goal and has been since he was about 9.
Go to Top of Page

inthegap

10 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  17:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes they get to high school, even though it has been the goal and it turns out to be a coach that is a jerk, a lousy communicator and plays the kids that the parents are politically involved. It would be nice to just be able to walk away and have a great alternative where skills can be worked on and developed, not just for the ones that can't make the team.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  11:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by inthegap

Sometimes they get to high school, even though it has been the goal and it turns out to be a coach that is a jerk, a lousy communicator and plays the kids that the parents are politically involved. It would be nice to just be able to walk away and have a great alternative where skills can be worked on and developed, not just for the ones that can't make the team.

Couldn't agree more. Competition might even drive some of the HS's to rethink their approach. The barriers to entry would be pretty high because convincing enough kids to play somewhere besides their schools would be a tall order.

That said, ECB has the brand to take a run at it if they wanted to.
Go to Top of Page

Topscout

59 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  12:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see ECB taking a run at the HS in the spring. Take a look at the big Perfect Game tournaments going on from now through late July. ECB gets a huge cut from these tournaments, but Perfect Game needs the local high schools to run the tournaments. If ECB starts pulling players, then all the HS coaches need to do is not let Perfect Game use the fields. This would force Perfect Game to go to another city and ECB loses all of that revenue.
Go to Top of Page

inthegap

10 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  15:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
public schools need the money generated from lending out their fields. they won't let anything come in the way of that. most of the public schools with the real problems where politics are predominant or the jerk coach don't really care if kids leave. there are always more ready to take their place otherwise politics wouldn't rule.
Go to Top of Page

SouthernProspect

159 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  08:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Southern Prospect is holding tryouts for the Spring 2013 season on August 25-26 at American Legion Field.
The 2012 Spring Season was a great success. We have been able to give play time to players who want and deserve to be able to play. 6 of Senior players are going on to play at the next level in college.
www.SouthernProspect.com
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  00:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Can Im afraid your gonna be correct bout that / Ya know competition makes every b0dy better - who wants to be better

Days r over where some dimwit dude at the high school can have his way over everyone when now they can go two r three places intead

competition is a good thing , yessir !

quote:

It's interesting that East Cobb wants to get involved in spring baseball. All I heard this spring was that the high school coaches were feeling threatened by Southern Prospects and the coaches pressured East Cobb to stay out and not cooperate with Southern Prospects with field use etc. Now, the high school coaches will be really upset because many of their " elite ECB players" will play EC in the spring. I think we are going to see the end of HS baseball as we have known it.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  22:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

Yo Can Im afraid your gonna be correct bout that / Ya know competition makes every b0dy better - who wants to be better

Days r over where some dimwit dude at the high school can have his way over everyone when now they can go two r three places intead

competition is a good thing , yessir !

quote:

Not to offend anyone, but HS baseball isn't going anywhere. I went to a couple of Southern Prospect games this spring, and it was like watching really bad rec ball. Especially the pitching. It's nice there is an alternative to HS ball, but I don't think HS ball is going to go anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  23:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually we saw pretty good pitching and competition this season (not every game but no GHSA team in GA played 26 very competitive games). As with any sport, you will find teams of different levels of ability and talent. Check the scores on GA PrepCountry and you will see a lot of blowouts and teams averaging less than 4 runs a game.

Yes, it is a very accurate statement to say HS ball is not going anywhere. All Southern Prospect, the Homeplate Citadels, ECB, GRA and other non-GHSA teams want to do is play ball, give players at bats and fielding reps. We had a good first season with ECB (my son's only season as he was a senior). We had five of the seven seniors commit to play college ball (signing ceremony set for 5/29 at ECB).

Bottom line; this is an alternative to GHSA, not a backup plan for boys who got cut or had bad grades (check out our website honor roll page). We decided to pull our son off the Collins Hill team after three years of the same old HS crap. In the end we saw our son get better from better coaching and we did not have to sell a single cookie, Christmas tree or raffle ticket.

Bill Clark
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=ecbacademy
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  11:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BILL : hats off to you and family for doing what was best for your family not best for some guy who the school calls "coach" .

I know the "coach" and situation you allude to ,being from Gwinnett

Someone hear said earlier that the alternative programs just get kids who would be cut anyway but that is a very incorrect and uninformed statement

I hope to see more alternative leagues out our way ,we have some "coaches" who need to learn its not a one way street with them driving the car

quote:
Originally posted by billbclk

Actually we saw pretty good pitching and competition this season (not every game but no GHSA team in GA played 26 very competitive games). As with any sport, you will find teams of different levels of ability and talent. Check the scores on GA PrepCountry and you will see a lot of blowouts and teams averaging less than 4 runs a game.

Yes, it is a very accurate statement to say HS ball is not going anywhere. All Southern Prospect, the Homeplate Citadels, ECB, GRA and other non-GHSA teams want to do is play ball, give players at bats and fielding reps. We had a good first season with ECB (my son's only season as he was a senior). We had five of the seven seniors commit to play college ball (signing ceremony set for 5/29 at ECB).

Bottom line; this is an alternative to GHSA, not a backup plan for boys who got cut or had bad grades (check out our website honor roll page). We decided to pull our son off the Collins Hill team after three years of the same old HS crap. In the end we saw our son get better from better coaching and we did not have to sell a single cookie, Christmas tree or raffle ticket.

Bill Clark
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=ecbacademy

Go to Top of Page

GGCBaronsAD

6 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  13:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greater Gwinnett Christian Barons JV &V Home School Baseball
Fall Ball Organizational Meeting 7/21

Sunday, 7/21 4pm
Bunten Road Park; 3180 Bunten Rd, Duluth, GA
Sr. Room in the Administrative Bldg.

The Greater Gwinnett Christian Barons are looking for players for our JV
(8TH-10TH) & Varsity teams (11TH-12TH) for the 2013 Fall season. Our
organization is dedicated to providing homeschoolers with competitive
baseball lead by professional coaching within a Christian environment.

We are a 501c corporation that has been around for more than 20 years.
The GGC Barons have helped place over 70 young men (including the first
ever homeschooled player to be drafted by MLB) into the next level of
baseball.

Our coaching is provided by Lincoln Martin and the Top Tier Sports
staff. Coach Martin has a total of 20 years MLB experience being
involved as a player, in player development, or as a scout. He is
presently a MLB scout. www.toptiersports.org

At this meeting, we will discuss specifics and answer questions about
the Barons Fall League with interested parents and players. Please email
our Baseball Coordinator, Elizabeth Wimmer, at wimmer8@bellsouth.net for
more information or if you have additional questions. If you are unable
to attend this meeting, please contact Elizabeth and we will email you