Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 "What is your worst memory from youth and hs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What is my worst memory from playing youth and high school sports?"
I wonder if a single person will say the ride home from the games?
Be honest try and think back to what really was your worst memories?

jmjnr

13 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pitching in a little league game when I was 12. I called for a time out and waived for the coach to come meet with me on the 3rd base line, where I proceeded to vomit on him.
Go to Top of Page

263 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loosing, getting hurt, cold miserable practices, last games of the season.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  13:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jmjnr I guess my face on my post is fitting then. Wow. I remember getting hit dead square in the nose on the first pitch at Jim Hearns batting cages off Buford Hwy few hours before the state championship for little league. Blood was going everywhere and my mom was yelling at me I was wasting money by letting the rest of the balls go bye. Needless to say played that night with 2 black eyes and we lost.
Go to Top of Page

excoach12

159 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  14:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walking across the indoor gym in Jr High School and the kid in front of me holding on to the big, thick climbing rope hung from the ceiling with a giant knot in the end and he lets it go and I think I can stop it by catching it a few feet up from the knot. You can guess where the knot hit when it made a perfect upward arch into my....
I felt much better after all the vomitting.
It was all the girls laughing that really made it hurt.

Edited by - excoach12 on 02/17/2012 14:45:10
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  14:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest with you, I remember feeling like nothing I did was good enough for my father. I was a swimmer in HS and I vividly remember swimming my own personal best in an event. When I got out of the pool, my father said "That was good, but I know you can do better. If you just work harder, you are capable of even better than that". I was totally deflated. I know now he meant well. He was trying to encourage me to be the best I could be, but it felt horrible to get that response. Not exactly the ride home in the car, but similar.

Don't get me wrong, I had the cold, wet, draining practices as well. They were hard, but they were part of the deal. And I loved the deal. I can think of playing conditions and getting hurt in pick up games, but I wanted to be out there playing. I remember playing pick up football games in NJ in well below freezing temps when the ground was frozen hard as rock. We still played, still got hurt and still went back out the next day or next week.

My point is, I do remember that feeling that nothing was good enough. I try to respect that with my sons. I can see it in their eyes when they just want to be left alone. In no way am I saying that everything I've done is perfect. I think we all make mistakes. But I try my best not to push too hard or be too critical. I try to save my analysis of the game until I think maybe my son is ready to hear it. There are times when he gets in the car after a bad game and I just say, "Well, you stunk today", he says "I know" and we leave it at that.

There is no question it is a challenge balancing being positive and trying to help your son get better. But I really have learned that 99% of the time, my son knows what he did wrong and my bringing it up only rubs it in and makes it worse. There really is a time to provide feedback and a time to keep my mouth shut.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  14:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not making the HS basketball team.
Go to Top of Page

90mph

26 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

Not making the HS basketball team.

DITTO!!
Go to Top of Page

momshell

103 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't have an issue with my parents criticism. They never came to my school meets and games, and that wasn't unusual with my team mates. We were pretty much on our own with the coaches. What I hated most were the injuries and conditioning runs out in the freezing cold.
Go to Top of Page

MAPSTRE

33 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I was in high school, we had girls play on the boys soccer teams. Played against Osborne one night. A girl proceeded to drag me down to the ground and as I was trying to get up, she kneed me in the crack of my edited!!
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  21:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Losing in the Pennsylvania American legion regional tournament to mike mussina.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  21:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was ALL good as far as what I chose to remember. My "worst" memory??

I blew out my knee when I was 16 and it's never been fixed. I played with it until I was 20 and then said screw it. No future for females anywhere way back when. LOl.

Other than that, nothing sucked. Parents supportive, coaches good etc.

I do have one memory that's pitiful but just a memory to me:in the 3rd grade my basketball coach got into a literal fight during a game with the opposing coach. He pulled out a clump of the other guys hair. I can still see it. Gross!!
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  13:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Accomplishing every hurdle the coach had set to obtain a Varsity letter in baseball as an 8th grader ( summer of 8th grade year in Ohio ) and then having him not issue me a varsity letter. I could have been a five year letterman, the first in school history but it was not to be. He issued a varsity letter to one of my team mates in same situation whom played less innings, started fewer games and contributed less overall. I vowed never to play for him again and in a very respectful manner, told him he could kiss a specific part of my Irish anatomy and I did so with my parents FULL support. Still disappointed to this day but it does continue to drive me when people say "you can't accomplish this or succeed at that etc." I pull up this old memory, get my competitive genes in gear and start competing !
Go to Top of Page

jalex

25 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  19:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a four year letterman also, oh the memories. LOL. My worst memory, I go to the high school all star tryout, I have low 400 bating avg, I think double digit HRs. They pretty much said at the beginning of the tryout that everyone's numbers could be inflated.

OK cool, I go out and go 3 for 3: single, double and triple hit the top of the wall. I dont get the call. I am still mad, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  20:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

Accomplishing every hurdle the coach had set to obtain a Varsity letter in baseball as an 8th grader ( summer of 8th grade year in Ohio ) and then having him not issue me a varsity letter. I could have been a five year letterman, the first in school history but it was not to be. He issued a varsity letter to one of my team mates in same situation whom played less innings, started fewer games and contributed less overall. I vowed never to play for him again and in a very respectful manner, told him he could kiss a specific part of my Irish anatomy and I did so with my parents FULL support. Still disappointed to this day but it does continue to drive me when people say "you can't accomplish this or succeed at that etc." I pull up this old memory, get my competitive genes in gear and start competing !

Did you not play HS baseball or did you transfer??
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  13:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spartan4

quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

Did you not play HS baseball or did you transfer??

Spartan4 - That incident actually occurred while I was an 8th grader but while playing for my High School. I'm pretty old and they used to do stuff like that back then ! Don't believe they could get away with that now a days but not sure. After that experience, I didn't realize I had any other options ( 2 years slipped by ! ) until I discovered Connie Mack baseball league. Played in that league for a few seasons until I graduated. My skills had eroded somewhat however as baseball is a game of timing and I'm afraid I didn't pick up a bat or ball until I tried out for the Connie Mack league. Had lots of fun but I realized I wasn't on top of my game anymore.

Learned some great life lessons along the way. Since I'm "a glass of water half full" guy, the lessons of self control, discipline, controlling your temper etc., have all benefited me in adulthood. Can't change the past so I don't worry about it. But every now and then when I'm watching my son play, I wonder what could have been !
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  07:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My worst memories of little league sports were fights between parents or umpires, the really nasty ones where police are called. I can remember everyone of those and those still leave a bad taste in my mouth. Connie Mack I remember playing in that league as a 14 year old. I was over matched most games but that was the closest thing to travel baseball back then.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  12:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SNOWED OUT of an advanced brackets state playoff game -- in April ... by time we played it had move to another field , didnt have our ace player and lost .

Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny no one has said anything about the ride home. You would think with all these players saying this was their worst memory someone would have mentioned it. I always thought talking about the game was part of it, at least back then. Maybe the article only interviewed a couple of players, maybe I hated the talks on the ride home and forgot I hated them. Maybe the article reads good but is a little biased. Maybe I am over thinking.
Go to Top of Page

sneakybooger

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  23:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it would get really hot Coach would go to the concession stand and get an empty cardboard box and fill it with shaved ice. We would all grab a hand-full of ice and suck on it with our dirt covered hands. As the game wore on the ice in the box would turn redder and redder with each handful and if you were really thirsty you would pick up the box and suck the water from one of the corners of the box. The dirt didn't bother us since it came from our own teammates.

Good memories!
Go to Top of Page

field6

72 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  12:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My coach who I thought was the coolest ever! He was caught distributing child "you know what" Crazy, that my coach was sent to prison! I still loved the game and played until college but always thought of that when I looked back. Baseball was still fun and the fun times over shadowed what happened. Baseball did keep me straight and I truly loved those baseball day's at the park!
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  13:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember making the decision to "try" football as a junior for the first time, rather than continue to play soccer - I then proceeded to screw up my knee during the first scrimmage of the season, and lost out on both soccer and baseball that year.. that sucked..

Best memories too many to count, but I remember when you could get a foul ball, turn it in to the concession stand and get a free soda - life was much more simple then..

Go to Top of Page

field6

72 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The foul ball turn it into a free coke was the coolest ramman. All of us fought like dogs for that free coke back in the day. Wallace Park Mableton GA. Also known as South Cobb at the time. Mid 70's-Mid 80's. That was so much fun!
Go to Top of Page

samlev01

15 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  12:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it involves my son last year. He led his Rec League in K's, innings, wins, ERA, HR's, BA and RBI's. He did not make the All-Star team that was going to Cooperstown. I still get steamed when I think of my son coming home that night after I let his mother know that he did not make the team due to Daddyball. The crushing dissappointment on his face was excruciating. We left the rec league and began our Travel Ball experience, which we would have started several years earlier if not for the Cooperstown All-Star 12U team for the rec league.
Go to Top of Page

ATLawman

32 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  07:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see the "youth" in the topic title now. My bad. For me it was my freshman year. I was short, real short, like shorter than a sixth grader, but I could handle a basketball pretty well. I tried out for the basketball team and was told by the coach that I was too short. Never even got to touch a ball. Later the team was selected and everyone of them (yes all of them) quit after that season and never played basketball for the school again. Redemption came my junior year, when the same coach saw me playing against some of his varsity players at lunch (and schooling them). He came over and asked me to play. I told him "no" and then explained why, when he asked. I got to walk away with a smile on my face that day.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  11:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That it all had to end........
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000