General Discussion
 Triple Crown rain out policy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  13:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are playing in our first T. C. Event this weekend but just read the rainout policy. They keep $100 of the entry fee if you don't get to play a single game. Why? Does is cost $100 to set up everything online per team.

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  13:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TC is a for profit business. Tony, in particular, lives in Florida and travels here to be onsite to run his tournaments (he has the franchise rights over this area), so he's here prior to the tournament, even if no pitches are thrown. The fee ensures his expenses are covered and he makes some profit as well, regardless of whether any games ever get played.

I'm not a big fan of the $100 fee per team if no games are played, but it is advertised up front and pretty well known by most who have ever played his tourneys. When his tournaments are played, they tend to be the best around. Typically on nice fields with a tourney director onsite. He tends to be responsive to most questions and needs. For that, most are willing to pay a bit of a premium over other tourneys (his do tend to cost a bit more). There are complaints about the awards given to the players as well as how some of the seedings turn out. The risk of rain outs and forfeiting the $100 is part of the dice you have to roll if you play TC.

I'm not supporting the policy or trying to be an advocate for Tony, just answering the question.
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  14:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Field rental, trophies, supplies, and then a little for the administrative work they already put into it. Some folks need to get paid even if a pitch isn't thrown.
Go to Top of Page

beagles25

51 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree TC is the best but those things are cost of doing business. I play TC but dont think it is not right to charge $100 RAINOUT FEE. The administrative work and supplies are cost of doing business and sometimes you lose. I own a restaurant and sometimes we are slow because of weather but I cant charge a fee for bad weather.
Go to Top of Page

injunchief2

76 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  00:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys,
It's really simple ....
They have to pay a minimum amount even with a few games paid !

Wait til you deal with PG !!
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  07:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, you can charge a fee for bad weather. No one would pay it, but you could charge it. If you think their fees are unreasonable, don't do business with them.
quote:
Originally posted by beagles25

I agree TC is the best but those things are cost of doing business. I play TC but dont think it is not right to charge $100 RAINOUT FEE. The administrative work and supplies are cost of doing business and sometimes you lose. I own a restaurant and sometimes we are slow because of weather but I cant charge a fee for bad weather.

Go to Top of Page

Linedrive11

91 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  09:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree!
quote:
Originally posted by baseballready

Actually, you can charge a fee for bad weather. No one would pay it, but you could charge it. If you think their fees are unreasonable, don't do business with them.
quote:

Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  09:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But how would you feel if he added into the price of your meal? Hopefully the rain won't be a factor. Next go round I will watch the weather forecast and pay at the last minute or go play somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  10:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C. MORTON

quote:

quote:

But how would you feel if he added into the price of your meal? Hopefully the rain won't be a factor. Next go round I will watch the weather forecast and pay at the last minute or go play somewhere else.

The reality is, that he DOES. I'm sure his prices are based on being able to sustain based on averages. Knowing that some nights are slower than others and he needs to make up for that on busier nights, or by having his prices set accordingly. The prices are on the menu. Now if he came to you after you ordered and told you that the meat truck didn't make it because of rain/traffic/etc., so he wouldn't be serving you your meal (or substitute), but was going to charge you 20% of the price and ask you to leave, well, there's your comparison. If this policy was clearly stated in the menu and you knew before you ever ordered, then you knew what you were signing up for. If not, then you have a legitimate complaint. Again, not supporting the TC rain out fee, but it is published and known in advance. If you don't want to risk paying the fee, don't sign up for the tournament.
Go to Top of Page

crash davis

4 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  10:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son's team has played TC for the last 3 years and we have faced a few rainouts during these events. First let me say that no other tournament directors work harder than Tony and his brother to get fields playable. These guys will work through the night on no sleep to get in a event. The other thing I like is they will not shorten games like other TD to get the games in. No one likes playing 45 minutes or 3 inning games. With this being said usually In the case of a full rainout Tony gives the team the option to transfer the full amount of the tournament rained out towards another event or charge a small admin fee which is usually pretty fair. I think you will be very happy on the way TC runs your first event like most others are.
Go to Top of Page

beagles25

51 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  12:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So u can transfer the whole amount to another tournament and avoid rainout fee?
Go to Top of Page

crash davis

4 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  16:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beagle in our cases we have gotten the full transfer unless you have played a game and then I expect they charge you for those games.
Go to Top of Page

beagles25

51 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  21:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
crash thanks for your post and help with my question. Lets play ball.
Go to Top of Page

F2202

63 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  23:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crash is 100% correct. These guys will work harder than anyone I have seen to get fields playable in the event of rain, if it is possible. It rained right before slugfest and the director over at Alpharetta American Legion, along with Tony and Donny worked -all- day to get the field ready.

These guys run a top notch tournament. Everything is posted online, including rain-out information. The fees may be premium but you get to play on great fields, tournament directors (who get paid) at every site, and the costs of umpires. You also get a great level of competition. I would recommend TC to anyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000