General Discussion
 If u were planning to play Cooperstown at age 12,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stevebrewster

26 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  15:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what out of town tournament (trip) would you play at age 10?

Our team is only 9 now and I know a lot could and will change, but we want to do some planning.

Thanks

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  16:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played Cooperstown at10 and will be returning this year at 12 also. With 200 foot fences, I kind of think 10 will end up being the better experience. Ask me in June....
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  17:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DecaturDad,

Cooperstown doesn't host 10u any longer. With Lou's new park down in Florida (Nations Park near Gainesville), Cooperstown is now 12u only. The new park hosts 8u machine pitch & 10u-13u. WAAAAYYY to small for 13U in most people's opinion. All artificial fields. There is a thread on this forum with a link to their website as well.

http://www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19536

As far as good 10u season ending tourneys, Grand Slam World Series in Panama City is always well run and a nice beach week for the families. Same for the Triple Crown Summer Nationals in Myrtle Beach.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, Cooperstown is PERFECT for 10 year old baseball and they have eliminated that age group. It's still a great experience at 12u but the fields are way too small for most 12u teams.

Grand Slam (Panama City Beach) and Triple Crown (Myrtle Beach) are both good end of season destinations.
Go to Top of Page

throwitaround

36 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  10:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cooperstown at 12U should be a wood bat only tournament.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  10:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAU in Disney
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  11:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12uCoach,

Just to provide a different perspective to the OP, Personally, I hate playing any tournaments at Disney (and between my boys, I've been down there for most). EXPENSIVE (entry to WWoS daily is about $15/person), Long walks from lot to fields, HOT, HUMID, rain, fields are very sandy (same at PCB). Our personal experience were that the Disney tourneys were the least enjoyable of all we've played over the years. Certainly you'll find a 100 others that will disagree with me, which is fine, but with the others, at least you get a coastal breeze to knock down some of the heat/humidity. You do get a Disney/Orlando vacation out of the deal (albeit, expensive). Just a differing perspective in Disney baseball.
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  19:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ITK,

You mentioned Disney as the least enjoyable but you didn't say what was the most enjoyable. I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

We've done PCB and Disney E32 and it is sandy, rainy, and hot. But, E32 is great for the competition and playing teams from other states.

PCB often has the other discouragement of being full of Atlanta teams that you may have already played leaving you to think, "why did we drive way down here to play the SAME teams we played all year".

I'm really thinking that Omaha is great at 11u and if I had a strong 10u team, I'd even go there.

Anybody know how expensive Omaha is compared to say Disney or PCB or Myrtle Beach?

quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

12uCoach,

Just to provide a different perspective to the OP, Personally, I hate playing any tournaments at Disney (and between my boys, I've been down there for most). EXPENSIVE (entry to WWoS daily is about $15/person), Long walks from lot to fields, HOT, HUMID, rain, fields are very sandy (same at PCB). Our personal experience were that the Disney tourneys were the least enjoyable of all we've played over the years. Certainly you'll find a 100 others that will disagree with me, which is fine, but with the others, at least you get a coastal breeze to knock down some of the heat/humidity. You do get a Disney/Orlando vacation out of the deal (albeit, expensive). Just a differing perspective in Disney baseball.

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  21:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steel-Will

ITK,

You mentioned Disney as the least enjoyable but you didn't say what was the most enjoyable. I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

We've done PCB and Disney E32 and it is sandy, rainy, and hot. But, E32 is great for the competition and playing teams from other states.

PCB often has the other discouragement of being full of Atlanta teams that you may have already played leaving you to think, "why did we drive way down here to play the SAME teams we played all year".

I'm really thinking that Omaha is great at 11u and if I had a strong 10u team, I'd even go there.

Anybody know how expensive Omaha is compared to say Disney or PCB or Myrtle Beach?

quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

12uCoach,

Cooperstown 10 was the most enjoyable and best. Because it was a single week for 10u, you had the best competition and widest range of teams. Take the E32 and add 70 more teams. You still had every top 10u team from the country, plus teams from all over the US. Atmosphere, climate, fields, etc., by far the best. Plus the fact that it's a baseball mecca, there were no distractions (i.e., beach, theme park, etc). Hands down the best experience. Not as good at 12u because fields are too small and it becomes hit or miss as to the competition the week you happen to go.

After that, I'd say Myrtle Beach. Wider variety of teams from various geography. Plus when you play 14u and up, you play at various HS and college fields across a 50 mile radius, so you get to see alot of different fields and parts of the area. We had a couple of games at Coastal Carolina and also got to play where the Myrtle Beach Pelicans play (semi's and championship played there for 60/90).

PCB would be third, but as you mention, driving down to FL to play ATL teams.

Never made the trip to Omaha, so I can't share any thoughts on it. We were going to go one year, but it was the first summer after the economy tanked, so the coaches decided not to burden families with additional cost.

I would suspect that the new Nations Park down in Gainesville is going to be a great experience for 10u. I would recommend heading there for 10's and Cooperstown for 12's and maybe do Myrtle, Omaha or PCB for 11's.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  09:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that two of my greatest tournaments was Cooperstown at 10 years old. I went with the Chiefs at 10U with my older grandson and two years later with my younger grandson and the Bandits. I also went to Cooperstown 3 times at 12U. These were also special trips but could never compare to the excitement of the 10U trips. The 10 year old tournament featured the top teams in the nation all in one week which is what made it special. Papa may have a Cooperstown record although it may be hard to verify. I have been to Cooperstown 5 times with my grandson's and their teams. Their teams have never not made it to the championship game and have 4 championships and 1 runner-up. Find a way to get these kids to Cooperstown as the memories made there will be with them forever.

Edited by - baseballpapa on 04/05/2012 10:11:35
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  11:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked my son, whose done Disney (9u) and Cooperstown (10u) - his take was Cooperstown, hands down, best baseball experience.

Friends of ours who have done Myrtle with Ripken and Triple Crown have said the same thing, about Cooperstowns.. Omaha or Triple Crown in Colorado would probably be cool, but that Cooperstown experience for a 10 year old can't be beat - I suspect the Gainsville park will capture some of that magic..

Now, ask my wife and she'll tell you Disney, but then again, I even wonder if she watched the games!

Go to Top of Page

stevebrewster

26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  13:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Cooperstown is a great experience. Why would Cooperstown no longer offer 10 year old tournaments?
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  16:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebrewster

It sounds like Cooperstown is a great experience. Why would Cooperstown no longer offer 10 year old tournaments?

Makes NO sense to me. I think it would be more appropriate to eliminate 12u from Cooperstown Dreams Park with those 200' fences.

Definitely a great experience though.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  18:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also not sure why they would eliminate the 10u week unless it were to "force" the 10's to consider Nations Park instead.

I will say, having had boys attend at both 10u and 12u, the size of the fields at CDP are certainly more suited to 10u, however, much of the history and aura of the HoF was lost on my boys at 10. They REALLY appreciated that aspect of the trip MUCH more at 12. They were far more interested in the history and also more knowledgeable of the players and teams as we went through the hall. At 10u, they were more interested in the arcade in the cabin area.
Go to Top of Page

strongx

12 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  12:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO:

1. Cooperstown (2nd trip with 12U - awesome)
2. Cooperstown (1st trip with 12U - unbelievable)
3. Cooperstown (just to show the difference in it and the others!)
4. Triple Crown Summer Nationals at Myrtle (13/14U 60/90 is best because of the nicer HS fields; plus they allow you to finish ball each day by 3 or 4; kids went to the beach until 8; everyone at the calabash by 8:30! - allowed vacation time)
5. Disney USSSA Elite - VERY competitive tourney is the sand, rain, heat, and humidity. Plus, you try to find time to drop a grand on Disney tickets, etc.
6. Panama City - OK time but too little focus on the baseball for me.

Another thought: Had a great time one year in Cinc; nice stadium and decent baseball (both pro and amateur! LOL)

Never been to Omaha. Would love to go, but I would really consider just taking the team to see the CWS and skipping trying to play. Again, just my opinion.

Wherever you go, make sure you take the time to enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000