General Discussion
 11u batting swing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nabaseball

8 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  11:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is having trouble with hitting mostly grounders towards short and third. Does anyone have any advice. He hits great at batting practice and in the cages. He's 11 and weighs about 84 pounds.

raiderlegenddad

12 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  14:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without seeing a video of his swing it could be a couple of things. One that comes to mind is that he may be rolling his hands just before contact.
Go to Top of Page

dgersh22

169 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  15:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would assume he is right handed? If he is, I would think he is not letting the ball get deep enough at the plate, thus he is in front of everything and most likely rolling over and hitting the ball weakly to the left side.

Couple of things you can do in BP is work on strictly hitting the ball up the middle and to the right side, working on keeping his hands back and making sure his back side starts the swing and then his hands follow. Hips then hands!! Another good drill is front soft toss again working on the middle to right field and keeping his hands back.

Depending on the level he is playing, I would bet the coach may be throwing harder in BP than what he is seeing in the game causing his reaction time to be a little quicker when he is at the plate.

On the plus side he is putting it in play, making adjustments from there is easier than not making contact at all.

Just like our mothers used to tell us "Patience is a virtue", make sure he is swinging at good pitches as well!!

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  12:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of teams do all BP in a cage and the players only see real pitching from the actual distance to the mound during games. So to add to what the others have offered I'd make sure he is seeing some BP from actual distance to help work on timing
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2013 :  21:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like my 17 yr old
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  21:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with AA Dad. I use soft toss for the players to work on the mechanics of their swing and get their muscle memory right, after that, when bp is thrown, its at game speed from game distance. Only way to work on something is to simulate it best you can.
Go to Top of Page

Graniteball

12 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  12:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A drill one of my Domincan friends taught is hitting against an old car tire. You can get one from a tire place. Place it on some type of stool or bench so the impact point is at the correct height. You stand behind the tire to brace it at impact. (Note: make sure your face is not right over the tire in case the bat slides up the tire)

Then when your son swings, the tire will stop the swing at the point of impact. If he is too out front as suggested, the bat will not hit the tire square.

If he is on the front foot too much, it is easy to show how to stay back and hit with power.

Same thing if he is throwing is hands at the ball and hitting to far in front. You should be able to see if that back arm is extended or still bent at impact.

If you can do it in front of a mirror, even better.

This allows the hitter to take a full swing and stop at impact. So you can analyze what is actually happening at that point. Plus it is cheap.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000