SOTU #2 and Top 10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

El Prez

7 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  19:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the office of the Commissioner and President of 11U Baseball,

Wow, we have been very busy here in the ivory tower. We have debated the apre-ski establishments in Aspen and Vail, solved world hunger, tracked expansive weather systems, examined team stats and pool play, and have had the very difficult discussions deciding on where to go for lunch. Is it steak and lobster at Bones or off to Houston’s for the filet mignon? Sometimes people don’t realize the stress involved in being the Commissioner.

The drama continues at 11U and emotions have been all over the board. There have been upsets, injuries, yelling and screaming, and that’s just the parents. There have been dominating performances, unrealized expectations, programs on the rise, programs on the decline, some upsets, and certainly a few surprises. Just what we would expect in the exciting and ever-changing world of 11U baseball in north Georgia.

So as I sit here on the veranda in the Commish’s chaise lounge, complete with scribe and beverage in hand, pull up a stool and let’s see if I can impart some wisdom, knowledge and insight for you. Don’t be surprised if you learn something. There are some out there that most assuredly need some learnin’.

So without further delay, let's get right to it.

There has been 5 weeks of play, and the majority of the players have been at each of the 5 major tournaments. Some have taken some time off, and this week will surely be void of baseball as families take off for the beach, mountains, or to Cleveland to visit relatives. So with a break in the action, let’s see what has transpired wince the last SOTU.

Week 1 saw the preeminent Spring Frost start the juices flowing. There was some excellent play at ECB and ATPP so early in the season and the Angels, Longhorns, Select, Astros and SEB among others were all part of the action. The Stros won this one to put a line in the sand and continue where they left off last year.

I attended this tournament and saw the longest HR ever hit by a 11 year-old. It might have gone 350 feet. Bryce Harper better watch out! Very impressive.

Week 2 was, well a little weak. The majority of teams split into various tournaments and not much action and head-to-head games by the top brass in the area. The Stros garnered another trophy as did the HPCD down at the Chuck. Congrats to Kearns and McD on their wins as they are leading some of the strongest teams in the state.

Week 3 saw the Dual Berth SNIT roll into town, or way down in southern BonFoche Egypt, and it brought the rain. Lots of it. Hard to tell what would have happened as pool play quickly was rained out and many were left with hotel bills, empty gas tanks and no clear winner. Good thing another SNIT is slated for Atlanta later in the Summer. The ivory tower took a lot of questions over this one and our official position is that we learned nothing of value here. One thing for sure, everyone was disappointed.

Speaking of great opportunities to play for championships, Atlanta has some great tournys this year. The Dual SNIT, The 2nd ATL SNIT (only one birth), 11U CABA World Series, and the TbS 11U World Series will also be in town. Plenty of chances to try to take home a big win over some great teams, many coming from as far as Cali for the big ones. Cowboy up and get your registrations in. If you want to be considered on the Commish’s Big Board, you have play in these to qualify. Otherwise, check into Miss Sally’s AAA blog for details on the Resaca Bake-off, Cheer Competition and 11U Baseball Championships in June.

Week 4 was also a little weak but there were some good games out there. The Stros were cruising to their 3rd tournament win when the Titans came over from ATPP and put the hammer down on them. The Titans just hit, and hit and hit and beat the Stros 12-2. Anything can happen and sometimes it does. Congrats to John for a big win there.

Then there’s Week 5. Everybody comes to town, along with some spicy weather and it is on at ECB. No excuses here, except for the sloppy track and 46 foot mounds. No really, no excuses. Quit. Stop it. My father always said to win with dignity and lose with dignity. Nuff said.

Select, Fury and the Angels played well. The Chillis played well at times. Acworth and the Horns also had some wins. Congrats to those who got deep. Semis had the Fury and Angels on one side and the Stros against the Warriors from Wade Green Road on the other. Angels and Stros advance and the Astros take the final. And they take it scoring 34 runs on Sunday and allowing 1.

The Halo side story ended up not being a story at all. Still winless, they went 0-1-1. I guess 11U still has some competitive teams in it after all. 12U indeed.

Hats off to the ECB grounds crew and Rick at Utrip for keeping the tournament alive. Great job there fellas. I doubt there were many tournys played that weekend anywhere in Georgia. So here’s some appreciation for an unappreciated job. Well, done.

Let me say here a little bit about injuries. They have been plentiful this season and many teams have persevered through these first five weeks with a lot of injuries. The Commish hates for kids to get hurt but it happens and it’s part of playing sports. Regardless, up here in the high office we want all the kids to be safe. The Ivory Tower officially endorses chest protectors, cups and mouth guards. Chin straps might be a little bit over the top, but wear that protective gear fellas! And in this vein, I personally want to wish the Titan on the DL a speedy recovery. We are all pulling for you and praying for a quick return.

Ok, I think it’s time. Yep. It’s time for the Office of the President and Commissioner of 11U Travelball to officially announce the first installment of the 2014 top 10. Drum roll please….

Number 10 SEB Played some good games and can win. Not sure they can go deep on Sunday.

Number 9 Longhorns Need some big wins to get the mojo going.

Number 8 Acworth Decent pitching and can go deep. Lots of lefties and some speed.

Number 7 Titans Might be higher but one signature tournament win for sure. Can beat anyone when those bats are working.

Number 6 Fury I know they are from Chattanooga, but they have kids from Georgia too. Solid team that could make some noise.

Number 5 DKSA Good team and even better uniforms. The Harlem Globetrotters have played good ball so far this year and will go deep in a few this summer.

Number 4 Select Much better this year. Can go deep, real deep. Middle - out is a good suggestion here.

Number 3 HPCDK This is a close one with Number 2. It is very close. They are playing good ball. Some of their pitching is unhittable. If their pitching and opponents align, they will win big on Sundays.

Number 2 Angels Kerry has done a great job getting his boys playing together. Class act and good ball. They will contend on the weekends much more this year than last.

Number 1 Astros Really, it’s not even close. They’ve won 3 of the 5 tournaments they’ve entered, finished 2nd in another, and surprisingly really didn’t show up at the SNIT. They almost run-ruled the bracket at the Georgia Majors. They are finally healthy, and with good defense, pitching and raking the ball, they are a force. Kudos to McD on rebuilding a little, and making it work. Good job.

And to Shaggs and Speed, your top 10 was well, silly. Come on man! I can’t support such lunacy. Lucy, you were close!

Bigroc, I would get to a dictionary and look up the word “dominate”. I don’t think it means what you think it means…

Someone needs to work with gudfgus in 12U to get an 11U BPI. That is impressive work and would be fully endorsed by the High Office. I would even include it as my top 10!

Well there it is, the second installment of the State of the Union for 11U Travel Ball in Georgia. Thanks for your attention and support of the high office.

Madimo, come by and pick up your “I love the Commish” koozie.

As I close this edition of the SOTU on 11U travel ball, I want remind those who have differing opinions to send them to the regional office. I will have the front office go through them and I will address as needed.

One final note, I do not respond to any comments, discussions and questions. If you have an issue, I will try to address in my next SOTU.

Thank you for your participation in 11U ball and see you at the park,

With all knowledge and wisdom,

El Prez

Edited by - El Prez on 04/02/2014 09:55:02
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000