Baseball Moms
 Major...AAA...AA....where to be?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's that time of year again....where we start to think...stay with current team or try another.

I have heard horror stories about some major teams, that they are more militant than fun...that they have coaches that like to make your kid cry...that putting your son with an elite team could kill his love of the game. How much of that is true?

I have a son that plays 11u, so next year will be 12u. Last year we were on a AAA team, but it disbanded at the final minute and we went with a coach we liked but the team he put together is AA, and my kid is frustrated, bored and picking up bad habits out of sheer laziness.

On the one hand we want baseball to be fun, I mean come on he's only 12! But on the other hand we want him challenged so he is growing and learning. Where is that line? Anyone have the answer?

Tribe

82 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  08:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your son should pursue a spot on the most competitive team you can find that would still give him consistent, substantial playing time at multiple positions. If that's AA...great...if it's a "major' team...that's good too.

There are lots of resources available to help you screen teams/coaches. Do your homework: ask around, and spend time on this board and others.

One other thing: don't sweat this too much. His high school coach won't give a flip as to what level of 12U ball he played.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  10:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good advice from Tribe.

My question to you, while "militant" may be a harsh term, would you rather some structure and discipline from the coaching staff with higher expectations and pushing the kids to do your best... Or the "AA" team you're on now with your son developing "bad habits" because the coach is allowing "laziness"? Sometimes it's a double-edge sword, we want our kids "coached up" and shaped mentally all while being pushed to do their best and developed for the highest level our player can achieve, but don't want the line crossed of being "militant" or a down right jerk of a coach.
Go to Top of Page

kidsgame

35 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  17:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on our experience, that's an absolutely inaccurate generalization about major teams and coaches. It's competitive, and much is expected of the boys, but they work hard and, for the most part, have lots of fun. Good luck on finding a great team for your son!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  15:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the advice. The problem I am having is that on a personal level I really like our coach, I think he's honest and will give it to us straight. While I want more discipline, I don't want my kid hating the game. double-edge sword is a good way to put it.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  23:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

Thank you for all the advice. The problem I am having is that on a personal level I really like our coach, I think he's honest and will give it to us straight. While I want more discipline, I don't want my kid hating the game. double-edge sword is a good way to put it.

How is it going B?
We are going to find a new team this year(12U) as well. just had our first tryout last night and were invited to the Open workout Thursday night. I have at least 4 tryouts(might even pay a fee for a few others) set up for this month. After three years of "Walking on" to teams after the first practice/tryout, this year will be different.

My concern is Not making a decision "Quickly", or if/when he is accepted. It may cost him a spot on a team, but even if it means not making a team at all and hoping to find a spot later on, is a chance I am willing to take..... I would love to hear others experiences with how it has worked out.

I want him on a Good Team that will make him work hard for a Spot on the field as well as the lineup.

I dont want to portray my son as some Superstar athlete, but he is a Really good ball player who Spends a lot of time practicing.....its what we do I love spending time with my son and we Both love baseball.....
This will be his 4th year playing Travel ball and to be honest, I truly feel he would have been a Positive addition to ANY TEAM we have seen in the past three years.
I dont want him to be one of the Best 3 or 4 players on the team.......I want him to be in the bottom 3 or 4 who must work harder and harder and Pick up his game to another level, which he most certainly will.

Would love to hear how its going....I know this is the Mom's section, but I always seem to find myself where the ladies roam
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  23:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW- I too liked the Coach, LOVED the practices and Instruction we got, LOVED the parents. I sent the coach an email out of respect to let him know we would be going in another direction. I think Most of the parents are leaving, but dont have the Guts to let him know.

Hurt my feelings, but tell me the truth! I will think better of you, Everytime!
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  12:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tribe

Your son should pursue a spot on the most competitive team you can find that would still give him consistent, substantial playing time at multiple positions. If that's AA...great...if it's a "major' team...that's good too.

There are lots of resources available to help you screen teams/coaches. Do your homework: ask around, and spend time on this board and others.

One other thing: don't sweat this too much. His high school coach won't give a flip as to what level of 12U ball he played.

The difference between AA and Major is dramatic...the speed of game, pitching, defense are completely different. To suggest the "HS coach won't care" is just not true. You must get used to the speed of higher levels to compete at those levels.

Also, while only 12, and while fun is still critical, playing high level 12U travel baseball is about discipline, responsibility, competitiveness, winning/losing, These kids are out of elementary school, most have played competitive sports for 4+ years, AND everyone keeps score (as they will the rest of their life).

Find the highest level, teach them to compete, push them to work-hard...and let's not fool ourselves into believing it's all about "having fun". It's life...teach them to enjoy the competition.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  12:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoamingCF

quote:
Originally posted by Tribe

The difference between AA and Major is dramatic...the speed of game, pitching, defense are completely different. To suggest the "HS coach won't care" is just not true. You must get used to the speed of higher levels to compete at those levels.

Also, while only 12, and while fun is still critical, playing high level 12U travel baseball is about discipline, responsibility, competitiveness, winning/losing, These kids are out of elementary school, most have played competitive sports for 4+ years, AND everyone keeps score (as they will the rest of their life).

Find the highest level, teach them to compete, push them to work-hard...and let's not fool ourselves into believing it's all about "having fun". It's life...teach them to enjoy the competition.

Nailed it right there Roaming!! The kids do keep score, AS THEY SHOULD!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000