General Discussion
 Verbal Commitment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hotcorner

67 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  08:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son tries out for 2 teams. Team 1 is his first choice. He is not invited to the team but is invited to Team 2 and verbally accepts the offer. After tryouts he gets an opportunity to practice and play some games with Team 1 as Team 2 is done for the summer. He plays extremely well and the coach from Team 1 calls and says he made a big mistake and wants us to change our minds. He is promising he will play a key role on the team and see's things in my son that he has never seen before. Coach for team 2 has not made any promises nor did we expect any promises. We know a verbal commitment should mean a lot but it seems in youth sports today that we, the families are expected to do the right thing but clubs are not. My son is torn on if he should really consider making this change. He is fitting in with team 1 and the top 2 players have told him he needs to change his mind. Team 1 is top 4 team in the State and Team 2 is probably between 5-8. Looking forward to feedback.

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  09:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you commit to team 2 and practice/play with team 1 afterwards?

IMO, the difference between being on a top 4 team vs top 8 is immaterial relative to everything else that should go into the decision (both beforehand, and now, given your situation).

How old is your son? If he's HS age, this should be his decision and responsibility with regards to potential consquences, even with your parental advice. If he's younger, he should still be involved in the decision (how much so being relative to his age), but it's your responsibility to live up to the commitment and/or deal with any potential consequences for not doing so.
Go to Top of Page

brdymakr

53 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  10:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What age group? It's not the only area for consideration, but it should be one of them IMO. Many believe that at younger age groups, under 14 or so, that it's best to let friendships and fun guide your decisions. At older age groups, those top 4 teams will likely get more exposure to interested parties from HS and Collegiate organizations than lower ranked teams. Depends upon what's in the best interest of the player at all times. I wish ya'll well though as it sounds like he has put in some hard work and that's always the shortest path to improvement.
Go to Top of Page

hotcorner

67 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  11:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is entering high school
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  12:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the post interesting. You already know the right answer, but you're looking to a bunch of strangers to support you in making the wrong decision. You clearly understand that your word is your commitment, yet you want to let yourself off the hook by claiming that "clubs are not" necessarily held to their commitments. Although you've likely never had one go back on you personally, you want to join the mob and let what has happened to others now guide your moral compass.

You already know the right answer. Now, set an example for your son and family.

Edited by - in_the_know on 06/28/2014 13:08:45
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  19:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) What does he see that he's NEVER seen before. That may he true but how did he completely miss it at tryouts?

2) I would be skeptical of any coach who promised anything other than a fair chance to earn playing time.

That's just my $0.02.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  13:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
entering high school and wanting more exposure LOL. play with who you want its your choice..when you start recruiting you will learn verbals mean very little.geez stop whining and play with who you want
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  14:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All commitments are verbal. Your word defines who you are. It's your choice, or rather your son's choice, but I think if you gave your word, stick to it. Team 1 will respect that and maybe next year you will have the opportunity to play with them. If your son is just entering HS, he has plenty of time to show his talents. Not many recruiters or scouts looking at 15 year olds. If something happens with Team 1, Team 2 will never take you back if you leave them now. If you tell Team 1 you've already committed to Team 2, they will be more than happy to take you next year. JMHO.

Edited by - bballman on 06/30/2014 19:21:24
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  11:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The right decision is usually the hardest path to take.
Why has Team 1 all of a sudden seen things they never saw before? I wonder if Team 1 just lost someone else and finds they now have a hole to fill.
ITK is 100% correct. You already know the right answer. Honor your word. Your word will last decades longer than your sons baseball career.
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  12:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things are not what they always seem to be. Most coaches are after one thing and that is what is best for them not the kids. Coach one didn't think your son was good enough the first time and turned him down. Team 2 felt he was good enough from the start. Unless you have proof team 1 can offer your son tons of more baseball knowledge you should honor your commitment. You will probably never know if you were right but you will always have your word.
Go to Top of Page

hotcorner

67 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  21:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the feedback. We knew the right choice and stayed with it. Once we made it we knew there was no other choice.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  13:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your first sentence says it all "My son tries out for 2 teams. Team 1 is his first choice. He is not invited to the team"
Why would you as a parent go back to a team that didn't want your son in the first place. My son had a coach tell him to come to his tryout
and he would take him if he decided to change positions, My son said sure. After tryouts on a Saturday, the coach said he would let us know by Sunday. We never heard from him again..... UNTIL... about 1 month later he lost some players and guess what.
The coach called on a Saturday believe it or not and I said we would let him know something by Sunday.... You think I ever intended to call him back? I bet he got the message though...
Go to Top of Page

Buckner

44 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  16:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which team has the better coaches and chance of development? I don't think there's a big difference between top 4 and top 8. Your competing at a high level with either one. Go with the better coaching.

I would be weary of the coach that changed his mind.
Go to Top of Page

cobbBB

5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

I find the post interesting. You already know the right answer, but you're looking to a bunch of strangers to support you in making the wrong decision.

Exactly. And perfectly said. Everyone wants to bash coaches, but this side of it where families abandon their commitments is conveniently omitted, often.
Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  14:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this, but I think if you get your name out there in a bad way, the word will spread, fast.
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it naive to think we could all be spared a lot of drama if honesty prevailed -- the team/coaches are honest at tryouts as to how many positions are really and truly available; after tryouts, the coaches call and/or e-mail all players with a general idea of your chances (e.g., top 13, top 26, top 39, etc.) and let you know a final deadline for making a decision if you are in the top 13; conversely, players/parents honestly disclose if they are going to another tryout and if so, where the teams rank on their list.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000