Baseball Moms
 Lifestyle changes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katya_27

28 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  21:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be premature. This is our first season trying out for a travel team (13U). I'm wondering how much busier I'm going to be (ie are my weekends gone? For how long? How many practices?) is there a season which is busier than others? Is summer vacation no more?

I've heard of some kids doing travel AND rec ball/school ball at the same time? Is that possible? Sorry for all the questions. All advice is appreciated.

We are just trying out at 6-4-3 & East Cobb.

Kathryn

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  09:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no reason to fool with rec ball anymore if you make one of those teams. And yes, your weekends are gone. Do yourself and all the other parents and players and coaches a favor and don't plan to go on vacation from December through July.

Your son needs to be at EVERY practice and game 15 minutes early (an hour and 15 minutes early for games). Stay and observe, but don't interfere. Teach him how to dress and act like a serious ball player. Clean uniforms, shirt tucked in, belt on, hat on straight, good attitude in all he does. If he's a great ball player but a bad team mate...no bueno. Teach him how to win with humility and lose with dignity. Look at every situation objectively. Is he as good as you think he is? If not, get him some formal training and he might catch up.

If your son goes to a middle school that has a middle school team, then many do both. The middle school team won't be nearly as good as your travel team, but it's a necessary evil for playing HS ball in the future. Just sayin'.

With the programs you mentioned, you can count on 2-3 practices in the winter followed by a couple of practices/scrimmages a week once the tournament season starts. I bet you'll play 3 out of every 4 weekends including spring break as everybody's school calendar is different. Don't expect Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day or Father's Day weekends off either (did I miss any??) and whatever you do, don't whine about it. Just show up, be supportive, encourage your son and help him get better off the field. Diet, strength and conditioning training, sleep, manage his study habits, hitting/pitching instruction, etc and so forth is necessary to really compete and maintain focus.

If you are still interested after reading all of this, you'll be okay. Don't discount trying out for other teams though. If he's never played travel ball before, unless he's a giant stud, he may need to work his way up to those organizations. Be prepared for that. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

HittinDingers

1 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  16:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rippit is right on the money! You might as well consider your end of the season World Series/Destination Tournament as your summer vacation.

You lose a lot of weekends and your house (and car) will wind up looking like a war zone but in the end its all worth it. Have fun and enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  16:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rippit is not exaggerating, but don't let that discourage you either! ( I think she would agree with me). Her description, while true, only covers the hard parts of being a baseball parent. It's kind of like when you only hear about how hard it is to take care of a baby. Yes, it's hard and sometimes you'll grumble about it, but you also wouldn't trade it for the world!
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  18:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word!!! Newbie Mom is right. I just didn't want to blow sunshine up anybody's tushie.
Go to Top of Page

Katya_27

28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  23:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big breath...
THANK YOU. I knew it would be an adjustment. The things we do for our kids. Much respect for all of you doing it, and doing it.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  15:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I bet you'll play 3 out of every 4 weekends including spring break as everybody's school calendar is different. Don't expect Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day or Father's Day weekends off either (did I miss any??) and whatever you do, don't whine about it. Just show up, be supportive, encourage your son and help him get better off the field. Diet, strength and conditioning training, sleep, manage his study habits, hitting/pitching instruction, etc and so forth is necessary to really compete and maintain focus.

If you are still interested after reading all of this, you'll be okay."

Dead on the money. And someone else said make your YE tournament your summer vacation.

We actually took two weeks for Cooperstown, went up through Ohio and spent the night at Niagra Falls and came
back through NYC and spent 5 nights there. It remains one of the best vacations we ever had.

Didn't hurt that we went 7-3 in Cooperstown. :)
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  15:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a dad who has spent the past the past seven years hauling my son around for travel ball, I would not change a thing. It has meant giving up some things, but the memories my wife and I now share with our son are priceless. Even if he never played another game, the life skills he has learned along the way were worth every minute.

For example, when my son was 12, he tried out for a new team. The coach sent me an email after noting how my son had shook his hand, looked him in eye and thanked him. Many people reading this, will say Of course. But that is because their kids have also learned these skills through baseball. Think of all the young college grads who can't do that at a job interview.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000