General Discussion
 Rules of the game
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  00:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how many times have you seen a rule in an organization rulebook that is plain and simple. Then when the rule is questioned or put to test the organization wiggles out of the rule and uses the excuse that that's not the intent of the rule. Let kids play but don't worry about it. What happened to teaching kids rules are written for a reason and they need to be followed. Isn't there suppose to be honesty and integrity in baseball or has it gotten to the point where we only apply rules as a option so we might not someone's feeling.

Give me your thoughts.

ohand2

22 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  10:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also something called 'Common Sense"
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  14:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the rule is common sense but if it is followed it may hurt someone's feeling is it still OK not to follow the rule? I thought there would be more debate. I know everyone has bee in tournaments that rules have been walked all over.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  15:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't you be a little more specific? Not sure how to respond to such a generic topic.
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  17:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bballman I was trying not to be to specific just general rules but here is two examples. Grand Slam tournament one bat does not have the stamped usssa 1.15 logo but is written on bat they let it go, then try to tear another bat apart that does have the correct stamp. USSSA tournament rule states what has to be on lineup card start of game but when error found in middle of game hey let it go.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  19:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know what to say about the bat thing. You say that 1.15 was "written" on the bat. Not sure if that means it was stamped on there or if someone physically wrote it on there. Maybe the other bat was suspected of being altered in some way. Probably had to be there.

As far as the other thing, I think if the roster turned in included an oversight involving a legal player, I would say play on. Why make a kid suffer for an honest mistake by the coach? Now, if the team is trying to bring in a non-roster kid as a ringer, or a kid that is too old, that's a different story. But an oversight is not a big deal, IMO.

I don't know, I'm a little more laid back about non-game situation rules than some. I tend not to nit-pick little things and just play the game. Just go out and play the game and don't try to gain an advantage by finding some non-essential rules violation. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but that's the way I feel about it.
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  00:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm to by the book and feel the rules are there the control the game. The bat in question was illegal the year before and thrown out by same tournament director. The other bat with stamp the kid just had three smash hits.

The lineup could be an oversight but don't you create opportunities for cheating if you don't enforce written rules. Then also how can you pick and choose which one to follow.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  13:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bat rules are pretty clear and there's no excuse for not following.

I'm with bballman on the lineup card. I've always been of the belief that if it's a simple administrative whiff by a coach, and the opposing coach is fine with letting it go, then play on. If the opposing coach wants the rule enforced, then the ump should enforce the rule as written. I've always felt that the coaches should have a bit of a say in that one. If the opposing coach wants the rule enforced to the letter and the umpire refuses, then that's simply wrong in my book.
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  16:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic. Lineup issues don't concern me. But rules that concern the safety of the players do. The bat rule is a perfect example. Another one is USSSA's "must slide/avoid contact" rule, which seems to me to be a good rule - in the interest of the safety of the kids - and also seems to be perfectly clear......if there's a tag play, the runner MUST slide or avoid contact. If he doesn't, he's out - no judgement required on the part of the umpire. I've NEVER seen it enforced. EVER. And if you bring it up to umpires, they look at you like you have 3 heads and claim there's no such rule. Here it is, straight out of the USSSA rulebook.

Whenever a tag play is evident, a runner must slide or seek to avoid contact with the fielder and / or
catcher. Attempting to jump, leap, or dive over the fielder and / or catcher is not interpreted as seeking
to avoid contact. Malicious contact shall supersede all obstruction penalties.
Penalty: The runner shall be called out and may be ejected from the game at the umpire’s discretion.
Rule 7.07.G Comment: When enforcing this rule, the umpire should judge the runner’s intent. If the
umpire feels that the contact was unintentional, then the runner should only be declared out. If the umpire feels that the contact was intentional and/or malicious, then the runner should be declared out and ejected.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said in my earlier post, I'm all for in game rules being enforced. I'm still unclear from the OP exactly went on with the bat thing, but if an illegal bat is being used, it should be thrown out. The avoid contact rule should be enforced as it's for the players safety. There shouldn't even be a question about that as it is a rule from T-Ball all the way thru college. Even MLB has instituted a similar rule in regards to catchers. The line up thing is nit-picky if the player was a legal player.
Go to Top of Page

gloveside2

138 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  15:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my son had his career ending by a runner running over him at home..he had the ball before runner got there and dropped to block the plate taking front half and giving up back half.. the runner ran over him. the umpire said it was unavoidable contact...if you do not slide yes it is unavoidable.

if that can happend and ruin a career and umpire not get it right then do not expect much else. This was even at a 17u east cobb event where you expect competence.
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  08:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gloveside - That's just awful to hear, and I'm sorry for your son. Unfortunately, there are too many stories like that, with either runners or catchers getting the bad end of a collision at the plate. And as much as I like to gripe about the umpires not calling it - even more important is the coaches not coaching it right. There's a huge percentage of dads and coaches who get caught up in the competitiveness of the moment, and would encourage a collison - labeling it "aggressive and part of the game." Nonsense. If we could all coach two things - the kids would be so much safer and would avoid a huge amount of the injuries. 1. - always slide at home plate. 2 - when you do slide - no matter what base it is - NEVER go head first - EVER. How many injuries are caused from sliding head-first? Thumb - finger, wrist, arm, shoulder all jeopardized by sliding that way (not to mention the nice strawberries you can get on your elbows on packed brick dust). Just go in hard, but go in feet-first sliding. That's my soapbox for the day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000