General Discussion
 Kid spiked. 4" gash in leg...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chollyred

29 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 12 y/o just had to move up to 13s, so is playing Dixie Boys this fall for some experience against bigger boys, a bigger field, steel spikes, etc. Last week he was playing first when another kid spiked him on a play at first. He now has a 4" gash in his left calf. It's 3"-4" above the ankle. It was the 3rd out, so everyone hustled off the field. The kid that spiked him (coach's son) never even acknowledged it.

I know we've taught him to use the side of the bad instead of putting his foot squarely on it, but couldn't see the play to see how it happened. I'd like to think it was an accident, but with it being so high on the calf, it feels odd to me.

Anyway, is anyone aware of a guard or brace or something that can help prevent this from happening? I was thinking about one of those neoprene ankle supports that comes up a little way on the calf to keep a spike from digging into the meat?

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  11:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know of anything he could wear. I would be more worried about someone stepping on his ankle and twisting it. As far as the kid acknowledging it, are you sure the kid even knew it happened? If it was a bang bang play, he may not have evened realized he hurt your son.

Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  09:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can play football with plastic spikes I see no reason why you cant play baseball with them. Seems crazy to me. I know everyone loves the feel and sound of metal on concrete.....I still miss my steel golf spikes, but for the most part my golf game has not suffered.
Go to Top of Page

Kmk72

112 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  09:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go to baseballexpress.com and see if they have any ankle guards....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000