General Discussion
 A coach who gets it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BaseKnock

29 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  22:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played a rural tournament this summer. Competition wasn't real strong but there was one team and coach I'll never forget.

While waiting for our first game we watched a weaker team, our soon-to-be first opponent, get beat up pretty bad by one the better teams. I recall the game ending via mercy rule in the third inning. As the winning team cleared the dugout our boys began warming up and the losing coach came over and to us voiced his displeasure with the winning team stealing bases when up 15 runs and other spirit killing play. "They never let off the gas. How unsportsmanlike can you get?" asked the coach. He introduced himself and we chatted briefly. The coach explained one of his players didn't show up and he was playing his 10 year old son in right field and asked if we minded if his team just batted eight. We told him that would be fine.

As the game began it was clear we would overpower them. He had one heck of a fine shortstop, as good an athlete as you'll find, and a few other decent players but lacked the total package needed to compete in travel ball. Mid part of the game while he was coaching third he struck up a conversation. Very pleasant fellow who liked to talk about baseball. He complimented us on our disciplined execution. During the conversation he told me he had several players from impoverished homes and he went out and got donations to buy jerseys and pay for tournament fees, and wanted the boys to have some structure in their lives. He then pointed to his pitcher and said "My pitcher only has one leg." I did a double take and then for the first time I noticed, under his black baseball pants was a prosthetic leg. As I watched the boys mechanics you could see he had some stiff movement in his delivery but was throwing with all he could, and strikes I might add.

After the coach went back to his dugout I pulled our head coach aside and told him about their pitcher. He was surprised too. We didn't say anything to our players letting them play as usual. Our kids played a good game, and displayed class, without our prompting, to the weaker opposing team. During the post game meeting we complimented our boys on their good sportsmanship, for encouraging the other team, and playing hard without showing off. We then told them of the pitcher they just faced. They didn't believe us until they looked very close. They were speechless and humbled by the boys performance. As we cleared the field our head coach walked up to this team's head coach, extended his hand and told him "You are a good man. Thank you for what you are doing for these boys."

As I drove home for the tournament that day I couldn't help but think about that coach and his team. How blessed they were to have that man in their life.

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  13:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story!! I don't know who you are talking about but may God bless him and his kids. I hope his needs are meet so he can continue to help these kids.
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  15:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1
Go to Top of Page

teamplaya

6 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  22:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have media connections who may be interested in a feature story as it relates to your post. Please email me at matalexmel@comcast.net.
Go to Top of Page

BaseKnock

29 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  09:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email sent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000