General Discussion
 Beware the "buzz words"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  09:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been feeling the need to point this out for a while now. Some of you are already aware; most of you are not. If you read the posts looking for players, you see a lot of the following:

"we will play in Perfect Game events"

"get your player ready for the next level"

"coaches are all ex pro players and/or do not have a kid on the team"

The list is endless. The reality is that practice time/space is limited, so exactly how do they plan on getting my player ready for the next level? Exposure? Contacting their list of college coaching acquaintances to come see games? Do they even have a list or know anybody?

Perfect Game: if you aren't on the inside, or haven't been there before, odds are you won't be in it next year either especially if you wait until the last minute to try and register. If you end up on a team saying they are going to play PG events, do some fact checking.

Ex pro players? Define pro. I'd rather have a coach who can coach.

Doesn't have kids on the team? Is there perhaps one or two who are there out of favoritism? One or two who get extra playing time for any number of reasons? (I'd name a few, but I'd violate the TOS here.)

You can't choose your team mates, but is the team going to struggle to get 9 guys every weekend? It's a double edged sword. People complain about too many on the roster so coaches try to keep the roster count low, then the other players get screwed when Junior goes on vacation with his family, gets disgruntled and quits, gets injured, oh the list is long. You either can't field a team or you field such a BAD team that weekend it's embarrassing to the committed players. Field enough kids on a roster to avoid the above scenario and suddenly Junior is complaining because he has to sit an inning or two.

My point is simple. By the time everybody figures out the 14u and below dynamics, they change and even more is at stake. My advice: call someone who has a son who has been through it all before and get some solid advice on which pitfalls to avoid. Try to choose someone who will tell it to you straight.

Some of you coaches/team organizers should heed that advice as well. It may be your part time job, but to some, it's their everything. Think about it.

Tball

142 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  07:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WELL SAID!!!
Go to Top of Page

bestplayinbaseball

67 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  21:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1
Go to Top of Page

ItsGodGiven

70 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  16:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"coaches are all ex pro players and/or do not have a kid on the team"<------This means very little if the paid ex-pro coach is merely collecting a check. Make sure they are interested in the day to day things that are required to field a team prepared to play. That includes meaningful practices, scrimmages, and dealing with parents. There is so much more that goes into this than just showing up to a tournament and coaching. If your team is filled with over achievers that consistently underachieve it usually has to do with coaching.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000