Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Anyone ever heard of this players signs pro then..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard a story the other day of a player signing a pro contract out of high school for baseball. Got a signing bonus play a couple of years in Rookie and minors. He then got released. Rumor is he is now going to play college baseball. Not sure if it's NAIA or JUCO but has regained eligibility from what I am hearing. Anyone know if as long as you don''t play or pitch a certain number of innnings you
might qualify to regain college status? Does he have to return the money? Just wondering.

CRblues

24 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  20:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that you can petition the NCAA to be reinstated as an amateur. It was the case 10-20 years ago as I remember, don't know what the current rules are.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  23:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I copied this as part of a response to this question that was discussed on another message board back in 2012. There was also some discussion that the below also applied to D2, but not D1 or D3 in the NCAA. Apparently, under the right circumstances, this is possible.

"NAIA allows an ex-professional to play in college.
1) The player loses a season of eligibility for each year in the pros.
2) He has to serve an academic year in residence after leaving professional ball before he is eligible to compete.

I'm not aware of a similar rule in NCAA, but there is a Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement which could in principle restore eligibility, assuming a sufficient rationale were provided."
Go to Top of Page

Marlin

109 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  10:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a player who was with the Marlins organization at the rookie & A+ level. He then went on to play at Kennesaw State while they were still D2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000