13U General Discussion
 Pre-season musings....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3sportfamily

107 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2015 :  00:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pre-season musings….a series of random thoughts to generate discussion. If there is a topic that is of interest – start a new thread!

I am going to try to post early and often – for whatever reason this appears to be the last year for an active forum. Let’s enjoy it. Southside … keep it up!

Why are the 14u forums so quiet? My guess – next year the older boys are freshman in high school and don’t join the team until the hs season is over. Next year you also see even a greater emphasis on the showcase teams with professional coaches. The better talent becomes even more consolidated on fewer elite teams.

Forums are so slow for this age group – yup – I go and read other age groups. Big topic in 7u is kid pitch vs Coach pitch. EXACT same discussion we had – but we talked about it at 8u.

While I still feel like I am mid-journey with my son – I feel like there are 3 stages of advanced youth baseball. Stage 1 - 6u and 7u all stars was magical for us. Our first experience to advanced baseball. Meeting new families that we are still very close to – even though we are on different teams. First time at away tournaments and hanging at the pool. Watching plays that you just can’t believe being made by 6yo kids. There is still a spot in my heart for coach pitch. Looking back on it – were we a ‘little over the top’? Oh yeah. Would I change anything… not a thing!

Stage 2 – kid pitch 8u-12u. West Forsyth Players Park, Sharon Springs, Hopewell, East Cobb, Heritage Park, Dalton, USSSA SNIT down south, Roadrunner, Aviation Field, Fowler Park, Myrtle Beach, Panama City, Orange Beach, Auburn, Cooperstown. I won’t try to name the teams, the coaches, the kids, the friends. But I hope as you read the park names that at least one or two of these parks brought a smile to your face! While the kids grew and the baseball got better – this was really about UNBELIEVABLE MEMORIES. What was your favorite tournament or memory? No way I could name a favorite - but putting together a top 10 list would be fun!

13u is a transition year. Bigger field – but not yet on 60/90. The pendulum is swinging towards the athletes. The early years were dominated by the kids who had the hand/eye coordination and could catch/move. Now the athletes are starting to excel even more. But the focus should be completely on developing the skills to make the high school team. Be versatile. Build bat speed, arm strength.

Stage 3 - 14u+ and into high school. I have no direct experience. Ask me in a couple of years. I can speak to varsity swimming (boys) and varsity volleyball (girls). Looking forward to it!

Where did Skunchdaddy and Mudville Sage go?

Who are the top teams? I will agree with the threads written so far! I am guessing by the time North/South rolls around – there will be 6-7 teams that are better than the rest (happens every year). How do you know who these top teams are? I posted some analysis last year – the elite teams generally only lose to each other (and they win approximately 80% of the time against the rest of the teams).

I honestly do not understand what happened to the SNIT this year. I do not agree with posters that SNIT was putting together an inferior product. And Triple Crown has always had the March Mayhem tournament the same weekend as SNIT (at least I think so). But this year – it seems as if the Astros committed to TC – and then a whole bunch of teams followed. At least in this age group. Not sure what happened in the other age groups…..?

Southside already mentioned that a usssa tournament might not make next week. I believe the “major” south side teams will have to come up north more often than they originally expected.

Perfect Game has radar guns at every game. I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. Hopefully the boys will forget about them and focus on making quality pitches. But that is what happens in high school – so I guess it’s time to get used to it. But at least this will put to rest how hard many of these kids do throw.

What have been the big controversies in this age group over the years? Batgate…a lot of noise about nuthin. 3 weeks after the ‘incident’ at Fowler Park – most teams had the green mach. And I think we can all agree – that bat was hot without any ‘modifications’. This year – the Easton XL1 seems to be the hot bat. What about the use of ineligible pitchers - it has happened rarely and I think they were honest oversights. truth be told - we have had very few issues in this age group.

Favorite topic/thread in this forum? I am a little biased – but I do miss the several week period where Skunchdaddy and I were having fun!

Favorite urban legend? My favorite – when posters say that umpires give East Cobb team home field calls. Heck – when we were East Cobb Braves – I certainly don’t ever recall feeling we were getting the good calls!! What is your favorite?

Sorry for the length! Maybe one of these topics struck a chord with someone. If so – start a NEW thread.

Our scrimmage tomorrow was cancelled due to weather. I am not confident we will play in our first tournament next weekend due to weather again. Perhaps a good prayer will work.

Edited by - 3sportfamily on 02/21/2015 00:49:47
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000