Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 What makes a "GOOD/BAD" coach in your opinion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GaBaseballFamily

3 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  06:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your posts bballman. 100% agree. Should add though that the great coaches have made me a better baseball parent. This was certainly not an expectation then and isn't now; they were just great to be around and fun to watch. You are right in that some great coaches aren't liked but create amazing players. We have seen that as well, just not our personal experience yet.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  09:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

quote:
Originally posted by GaBaseballFamily

IMHO, one of the most important qualities of a good coach is inspiring his players to reach their potential.

I agree with this. I think a coach can inspire someone to be their best and the player still not necessarily "like" the coach. I've heard countless stories where a player did not get along with or necessarily like a coach, but years later had stated that coach pushed them to their limits and made them a much better player. Probably for the younger ages - like 10 & under, it may be important that the player likes the coach more. Helps that kid stay in the game. As they get older, I think it matters less and less.

My initial statement was more to ItsGodGiven's post about parents liking the coach. I don't think it really matters at all whether a parent likes the coach. A coach is there to coach the kids. He's not there to coach the parents or get them to like him. Once again, more and more evident as the kids get older. If a coach is trying to please parents, that's when you really get into politics and daddyball. It has no place on the baseball field. JMHO.

While that is all true it has been our experience that there is at least one parent on the team that falsely thinks their child should be getting more playing time or their child should be used in a different way and therefore doesn't like the coach.

I will admit that 90% of the time I agree with what the coach has done, but sometimes there is a kid who would excel given half the chance...but he's smaller, or more awkward and poof...they are out of consideration for that coach for that season.

So, I guess I'm adding another to my list of what makes a bad coach...a Bad coach decides in the first month which positions a kid can play and will NOT change his mind, even if new data is presented.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  12:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

While that is all true it has been our experience that there is at least one parent on the team that falsely thinks their child should be getting more playing time or their child should be used in a different way and therefore doesn't like the coach.

That's part of why a coach's job isn't to please parents. There will ALWAYS be parents that think they are getting a raw deal - even if the deal is MORE than fair. A coach needs to do what is best for his players and his team, not what the parents think he should do.

quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I will admit that 90% of the time I agree with what the coach has done, but sometimes there is a kid who would excel given half the chance...but he's smaller, or more awkward and poof...they are out of consideration for that coach for that season.

Yes, if a coach does that - particularly at the younger ages, he's not a good coach. Every kid that a coach takes on his team should get the same opportunities as the other kids - especially at ages 10 or 11 and younger. Develop every player.

Of course, as I stated earlier, the older they get, the less this is true. As the kids get older, the coaches have the obligation of putting the best 9 on the field. His obligation is more to the team than to the individual. This is especially true starting in HS. Especially varsity. At this point, the idea of getting everyone play time stops. The objective is to win and the best 9 will play. If a coach does any less than that, he is not doing his job.

Just to reiterate. As the kids get older, the idea of what a good coach is changes. I think at the younger ages, pre-HS, the coach's job is to develop his players and make sure everyone gets opportunities. The younger you go, the more this applies. At the older ages, HS and beyond, the coach's job is to win. He should still develop his players, but his job is not to get everyone in the game and make sure everyone is happy. His job is to win baseball games. You do that by developing all your players and making sure the best 9 are on the field at any given time. If a bench player develops to the point where he is better than a starter, it's the coach's job to bench the starter and put the other guy on the field.

Once you get in HS and beyond, it is really a cut throat situation. If you want to play, you have to do better than the other guys that play your position. If you're not, you won't be seeing much play time. It's no longer the coach's job to make sure you are happy about that. As a player it is your job to be a good teammate and work your butt off to take the other guy's job. Pure and simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000