Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Do travel team players have to make team ea year?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Be69chevy

18 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  15:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once a kid makes a travel team does he have to tryout each season and make the team or are they permanently on the team?
What's the norm.

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  19:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the norm is they have to keep up skill wise. If the player falls behind, he may not be invited back the next season. Whether a player has to officially try out or not depends on the team.
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though the kid might already be asked to come back for the next season... He still has to go thru the tryout process. At least that's been my experience.
Go to Top of Page

redsox23

98 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  22:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plan on having to try out every year. All coaches and programs believe they can be better. The core may stay together year after year, but they are always looking for 1 or 2 or 3 more kids to make them even better.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  08:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been my experience there are two types of teams.

There is the it's just a game and this is all for fun team, in general the coach will make it clear around May/June that everyone is welcome back but he would like a head count of who is coming back so he can make plans for next year and to let him know by X date.

Then there are the more competitive teams, usually AAA and above that are serious about technique and getting kids ready for high school and beyond. Those teams typically require you to try out again every year, but usually by May/June the coach makes it clear who is welcome back and who isn't. The kid that has always been in the bottom of the batting order all of a sudden isn't in there at all. That same kid instead of getting 50% field time is riding the bench almost every game...how your child is treated as a player in the last couple games of the season will tell you without a doubt if he is welcome back.

Every coach my son has had has made his intentions for next year pretty clear. And while I don't condone whispering amongst the parents it's generally a good idea to get others input during the last 2 games of the season or so. My son has also been on a team where all but 3 kids left...wasn't exactly the same team anymore. Do your homework in June, but until then just enjoy the end of the season.
Go to Top of Page

JDP12

89 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  15:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say there are definitely more than two types of teams. These examples above from CaCO3Girl are the extremes on both sides. You need to talk to the coach near the end of the year.

I do totally disagree with CaCO3Girl's point from above. Just because a team is more competitive doesn't mean they are serious about technique and getting kids ready for high school and beyond. While higher level teams usually have more kids play into high school and college it is mainly because they are dumping kids each year and finding the best talent available. This is definitely not always the case as there are teams out there with many of the same kids since 9U that are high AAA or major teams at 12u. Revamping the roster each year is not coaching the kids about technique and getting them ready for high school. That is just all about trying to win now.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Be69chevy

Once a kid makes a travel team does he have to tryout each season and make the team or are they permanently on the team?
What's the norm.

I don't think there is a norm

For the first couple of years I invited everyone back. Still some of the kids (or their dads, not sure which) wanted that jersey that said East Cobb on it even if they never got to practice or play on the actual East Cobb fields and the team they were on was mediocre.

The last two years I didn't invite everyone back because we had some cancers, not because of the skill level of the player. I did invite most of those teams back and no, they didn't have to try out.

I have no idea if that was the norm. The teams my son played on 15-17 (after I retired from coaching) didn't have tryouts. Players were invited/recruited.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  09:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JDP12

I would say there are definitely more than two types of teams. These examples above from CaCO3Girl are the extremes on both sides. You need to talk to the coach near the end of the year.

I do totally disagree with CaCO3Girl's point from above. Just because a team is more competitive doesn't mean they are serious about technique and getting kids ready for high school and beyond. While higher level teams usually have more kids play into high school and college it is mainly because they are dumping kids each year and finding the best talent available. This is definitely not always the case as there are teams out there with many of the same kids since 9U that are high AAA or major teams at 12u. Revamping the roster each year is not coaching the kids about technique and getting them ready for high school. That is just all about trying to win now.

To each their own, this has just been my experience. As the game moves faster if you don't have TRUE proper fundamentals the kid won't be able to progress in the sport the way they want. It is rare you hear of a kid in the draft or getting a really great scholarship to a great school and he played for no-name park usa during the summer. It just is what it is.

At 9u does it matter...no not really, at 12u yeah it's beginning to matter because the game is getting faster and that means proper fielding technique is required as well as proper hitting technique, and at 15u it very much matters.

There are a handful of teams/organizations that have a proven track record of accomplishing these goals. These may not be everyone's goals, like I said it is perfectly fine to treat baseball as it was intended, as a fun game for kids to play, but there are a small percentage of kids who need more from the sport that the local rec/travel park can provide.

There are many teams that do restructure some every year, typically the good kids are asked back but they themselves want to play for team X, or team Y because they think it is a better team and they choose to leave, thus requiring a team restructuring. I have known many a parent/kid who jumps teams every single year just KNOWING their kid would be better appreciated somewhere else.

Bottom line, if a kid is playing at their appropriate skill level and being a contributor to the team I don't see why he wouldn't be asked back.

Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  12:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by JDP12

To each their own, this has just been my experience. As the game moves faster if you don't have TRUE proper fundamentals the kid won't be able to progress in the sport the way they want. It is rare you hear of a kid in the draft or getting a really great scholarship to a great school and he played for no-name park usa during the summer. It just is what it is.

At 9u does it matter...no not really, at 12u yeah it's beginning to matter because the game is getting faster and that means proper fielding technique is required as well as proper hitting technique, and at 15u it very much matters.

There are a handful of teams/organizations that have a proven track record of accomplishing these goals. These may not be everyone's goals, like I said it is perfectly fine to treat baseball as it was intended, as a fun game for kids to play, but there are a small percentage of kids who need more from the sport that the local rec/travel park can provide.

There are many teams that do restructure some every year, typically the good kids are asked back but they themselves want to play for team X, or team Y because they think it is a better team and they choose to leave, thus requiring a team restructuring. I have known many a parent/kid who jumps teams every single year just KNOWING their kid would be better appreciated somewhere else.

Bottom line, if a kid is playing at their appropriate skill level and being a contributor to the team I don't see why he wouldn't be asked back.

This is going a little bit off the original question, but I agree with JDP12. I think at the high school ages there are teams that still develop and teams that just showcase. Even at the top majors level, development is still needed. So for us personally; we picked the development team. We will still play in all the top events and get the exposure we need. But development will still trump winning an event.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

This is going a little bit off the original question, but I agree with JDP12. I think at the high school ages there are teams that still develop and teams that just showcase. Even at the top majors level, development is still needed. So for us personally; we picked the development team. We will still play in all the top events and get the exposure we need. But development will still trump winning an event.

Yes, it's far off the original question whose answer is basically, it depends on the team.

I also did not intend to imply that it is better to be on a win at all cost type team, because it REALLY isn't. I was trying to say that people need to find a team they are comfortable on with the skill level being taught. Your kid might be tearing it up on the 11u field but learning the REAL how to's of proper baseball skills are not what most people think they are. I thought my kid was doing great, totally dominating his team...turned out he was on the wrong team!

If your kid has expressed an interest in playing in high school and beyond the Dad who has never played baseball past High School, which was 20+ years ago, and isn't affiliated with any well educated training instructors is likely NOT the coach for your kid. It may be a fun season, your kid might dominate the field, but it won't be doing your kids development any favors. If he starts off as the best on the team there really is no where for him to go. Find someone who can teach your kid what most coaches want in a ball player. Then again if your kid is just in it for the fun of it then that guy sounds perfect. This really depends on the kid.

Go to Top of Page

21BS21

28 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  16:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a son on a top level team for the last few years, I can tell that most of you would be surprised at the development that happens. They might not practice as much as other teams, but when they do, it is very concise and expected to be learned on the 1st go around.
Watch the coaches of a top tier team during a game at the older ages (13u and older), they are not screaming at their players but instead pulling them aside and telling them how best to do whatever they just messed up on. In my opinion, that is the best way to teach the kids instead of berating them in front of everyone.
My son learned a bunch from his earlier days playing for dad coaches, but when he started to play for paid coaches on very good teams is when he learned the most. The development that I have seen on these teams is more of a polishing than a build from the ground up type thing. Maybe, that is where the disconnect is that others looking in might have.
Winning happens and is expected when you have some of the best players/athletes around on your team. As far as development instead of winning an event goes, the longer a team is in front of college coaches or scouts the better their chances at getting recruited will be. If your team gets put out in the 1st bracket game or does not even make the bracket, there is a good chance that the coaches were somewhere else while your team was playing because of all the other games going on. If your team wins the championship, there is only 1 game for the coaches/scouts to watch.
As for the topic of this thread, my son was invited back at 10u and 11u because the coaches were the same but had to try out for all the other years because the coaches didn't move up with the team.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000