Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 How does one tryout for AA or major team?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TWilliams09

5 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  14:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the area and I'm not sure how things work up here in North Georgia. My son has been playing on a AAA travel team since we've been here but we're disappointed with the level of competition, this is not the "travel ball" that we're used to. There are kids on his team that should be playing rec ball. My son is a stand out (#1 or 2) on this team but was just a middle level player on his team in Florida. Any suggestions?

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  15:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to teams looking for players blog for your sons age. They will have post for tryouts.
Go to Top of Page

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  15:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scroll down the Forum page! You will see all the age groups listed in order of Age Ex. 12U Team Openings or Tryouts 2016

Teams and coaches will post their tryout schedules there. Some are free, other charge. Talk to the coach ahead of time to get a feel for what they are looking for. All coaches will tell you they are going to be a AAA team so go to tryouts, find out how many are already on the team and what the focus is on. Winning vs. Development and competing. This will start as early as late June but the reality is that teams will be posting in Late July and looking at kids for months. Not knowing what age or area you are referring too but there are plenty of options out there.
Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

TWilliams09

5 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  17:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your input. Oops, I guess I didn't scroll down the page far enough. Thanks again.

Edited by - TWilliams09 on 06/10/2015 18:15:04
Go to Top of Page

TWilliams09

5 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now I'm really confused, I thought Major and AA were stronger than AAA. I just read another discussion that said they hoped to become AAA this year after being AA last season. Could someone explain Major, AA & AAA to me? Which way does it go?

Edited by - TWilliams09 on 06/10/2015 18:14:50
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  19:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They go from AA to Major. AA is closer to rec team and major should be your top kids. With that said there is still different levels of major teams. Ask questions. You can also look on perfect game, triple crown, usssa, and travel ball select web sites to see how teams do.
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  21:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TWilliams09

Ok, now I'm really confused, I thought Major and AA were stronger than AAA. I just read another discussion that said they hoped to become AAA this year after being AA last season. Could someone explain Major, AA & AAA to me? Which way does it go?

This is really simple, it's just like the MLB... You have A, AA, AAA & then the MLB (Major). Here's my take on the different classes at the youth level:

A & AA = rec / all star kids that wants more baseball than rec offers (happy to play more games)
AAA = all star kids that has more skill and wants more baseball than rec offers (happy to play more games against better competition)
Major = again, all star kids that has even more skill and wants even more baseball than rec / A, AA & AAA offers (wants to play a lot and against the best competition there is)

Hope this simplifies things for you.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  22:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

AA, then AAA, then Major from lowest to highest. Just like pro ball.

If you're on a AAA team now and seeking stronger competition, you'd want to go major, not AA.
Go to Top of Page

Turnit

30 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  09:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm new to the area and I'm not sure how things work up here in North Georgia. My son has been playing on a AAA travel team since we've been here but we're disappointed with the level of competition, this is not the "travel ball" that we're used to. There are kids on his team that should be playing rec ball. My son is a stand out (#1 or 2) on this team but was just a middle level player on his team in Florida. Any suggestions?

Where did you guys come from down in Florida?
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  09:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tuffmavrick

TWith that said there is still different levels of major teams. Ask questions.

This ^^^ Plenty of teams THINK they are AAA or Major teams (you can 'self-declare' any level you want-- IF USSSA didn't force you to reclassify). Heck, teams will advertise they are Major, and register as Major, only to find that maybe they are more like AA/AAA teams. And some AA teams should be termed as AAA, so there's no exact science.

Research, research, research! Teams that are advertising, ask, where did they play? (Triple Crown, Perfect Game, Grand Slam, Travelball Select, USSSA, GGBL, also check Game Changer) You can research how they faired (W/L), and research teams they've played.

If they have played together in 2014, find see if they were re-classified here (USSSA only) for 2015: http://www.gausssabaseball.com/images/uploads/pdffiles/2015_Team_Reclass_R.pdf

Otherwise, this is another good place, if they have played in any USSSA this year, or years past: http://usssa.com/baseball/Rank1/#/?gdSport=11

If they haven't played much USSSA, then there isn't a 'on-stop-shop' website I know of for any of the other organizations listed above, so research may be more tedious.

To echo brball, asking the questions like "how many games/tourneys did y'all play this year?" (the lower the number COULD mean the lower the level), "What 'big' tourneys did you play this year?" (SNIT, State, etc, this could lead you to where you research the team) "Did you, or will you travel out of state to play?" (Again, this COULD show you the type of aggressiveness the team/coach has to go play the best competition he can.) Wins and loses, in my opinion, aren't a sure sign of a team. They could be trying to play up and loss a bunch, or play down and win a bunch. So I wouldn't worry about that, unless you can research the teams they've played.

Good luck in your search of teams.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  10:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or you could just go to the forum of whatever age group your son is on this site and read through some of the always controversial "who are the Top 10" threads there. While these topics are really pretty meaningless, but often entertaining, I would say any team mentioned in a particular age group would be considered the better teams (Major) of the age group. You can start there and see if any of those teams are having tryouts for next year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000