General Discussion
 Describe what makes a tournament worth it for you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jje1

14 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  13:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Through the years we've participated in a number of tournaments across the southeast. Some good, some real bad.

I'm curious. What are the things you look for in a good tournament? What makes a tournament bad?

Thanks!

Edited by - jje1 on 09/03/2015 13:46:11

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  14:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those that do what they can to take care of the umpires.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  14:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Participation trophies for all.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  15:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad tourney:
1. Having the first bracket play game on Saturday night (that bugs me to no end!)
2. Long breaks in between pool play and/or bracket games. If your first game is at 9am your second game should not be at 3 or 5pm.
3. Tourneys that are held in the middle of no where but don't have a concession stand.
4. Take a gate fee for anyone under the age of 14....that's just harsh to charge parents money to bring their 5 year old with them.
5. Don't define the level the tourney is for...is it Major, AA...etc...no fun to let in one major team to run rule everyone.
6. Don't define their rules...it's very easy to say TC or USSSA rules, yet many don't.

Good tourney:
1. The closer teams to the park get the 8am pool play games...not the teams that had to travel 90 minutes to get to the park. (not applicable in bracket play)
2. Concession stand that has a minimum of cold drinks, chips, and some from of entree item like hot dogs.
3. The fields are raked and lines are redrawn before each game.
4. Has a head umpire present to interpret disagreements.
5. Have the brackets posted online so everyone can see where they go next, and who won what.
6. Have pitch count rules
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  15:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In no particular order. Starts on time. Good grounds keeping between games. Good umpires. Good mix of teams from a lot of different areas. Good facilities. Competent TD representation in case of issues.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  16:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good turnout of teams
Concessions
Scoreboards (that work)
Bathrooms (that work)
Good umpires (so many different meanings here, but knowing the rules, and being prompt to game start times are nice beginning)
On-line updates of all games (pools and bracket)
Any rules that are 'modified' or that differ from USSSA/TC need to be let known
Prompt turn-over of fields between games (field crews, and umps back on the field as quick as possible-- not 30 mins between game breaks)
Trash cans (available AND emptied when needed)
Quality fields (no one likes playing in a cow pasture)
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  21:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1)Overall Field conditions and maintenance in between games like raking, striping matter to me.....I remember being embarrassed last year as we had some kids show up from Alabama and the fields we played on were horrible and I felt really bad for what they came and had to play on; they needed to bobcat the fields level and start over.
2)Umpire strike zones; a foot off of the plate should be a ball at any age
3)Updates as they happen or even a bracket written on a wall that can be seen by everyone.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  13:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Updates as they happen or even a bracket written on a wall that can be seen by everyone.

Yes, yes, 1000X yes.
Go to Top of Page

leftfielddad

16 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  14:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Signs of a good tournament: 1)Bathroom is not a Porta Potty 2) The 3rd base foul line fence does not have a horse or a cow standing next to it.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  22:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leftfielddad

Signs of a good tournament: 1)Bathroom is not a Porta Potty 2) The 3rd base foul line fence does not have a horse or a cow standing next to it.

Oh c'mon man, I like the horses....I saw a little girl with a whole bag of carrots she brought to Thomas field one day. The horses were not to be found and she was sad(made me sad too)......she remembered the horses from before and looked forward to them
Go to Top of Page

nwgadad

137 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  11:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once the schedule is posted, don't change it for one team who didn't mention they couldn't play at a certain time in advance, and when the schedule comes out all of a sudden can't play at xxx time.
Go to Top of Page

Checkswing

53 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  12:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will not play a tournament that does not allow coolers. I'm sick and tired of these greedy TD's, ballpark associations, etc. You might make $50 worth of drink sells off my team if we play your tournament but you lose $400 or so if I pick a park that allows coolers. And then your gonna charge my 12 yr. old $5 who has the weekend off and wanted to come watch his little brother play. Not gonna happen!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  21:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Working scoreboards
2) Definitely concession stands and preferably those that offer Anything besides just hot dogs and hamburgers (i.e. a slice of pizza, chicken fingers)
3) Not cancel on a rain delay until it actually rains, and in the event it starts raining, wait at least long enough to know it's going to keep raining before you send everyone home only to have the sun come out and the fields dry up 30 minutes later.
4) Don't advertise a ring and give out a t-shirt for the champions after you've scraped your way to the end.
5) If there is a huge hole at home plate, fill it in with dirt so everyone sliding into home doesn't end up with a sprained ankle.
Go to Top of Page

teamgamark

163 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  20:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nwgadad, 100% with you on changing of schedule to accommodate. I was involved in planning a tourney where a Dad through numerous e-mails caused his team not to play at Lake Point and had to play at other parks for he wanted to be at his other son's tourney and accommodate another family on their team. The demands accepted by some teams make it difficult for tourney directors but you have to draw the line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000