Indoor Facility Wish List!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  16:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Mom's and Dad's,

We know fall and winter is around the corner. Soon it will be too cold or wet to play or practice outside.

If you operated the "Ideal" indoor facility for your youngsters to practice, what would it look like? What amenities would it have? Where would it be? What price would you pay for a New or Great facility? Preferred days to practice? and son on...

Any other ideas?

I need your feedback!

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  20:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On-line scheduling of batting cages with pitching machines. A separate (comfortable) place for parents to wait.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  09:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not be different? There are a million indoor facilities and all have pitching machines and batting cages.

I can't speak for the rest of the folks but I would pay a monthly membership fee to just be able to drop my kid off and he could practice at different stations like in a workout gym. Obviously he would have to take his turn waiting for certain activities, but I think it would be worth it. Ideally the location would be in East Cobb and stations would contain both baseball and speed/strengthening/agility stations. Many teams don't have a winter program, this would certainly be a turn key situation for teams to sign up for, or individual kids that want to gain strength over the winter.

Some station ideas would be:

1. Hitting cages with speed options of 60/70/80/90 mph
2. Medicine ball workout stations for core exercises
3. Resistance bands both stationary and free standing to work on leg and arm strengthening.
4. Rope ladder station for quick footwork
5. Fielding station with X's on the floor on where you need to stand to get various types of fielding in, i.e. backhand, to the right side, to the left side...etc.
6. An obstacle course requiring various ladder drills, jumping, sliding...etc.
7. Pitching cages with a diagram on the wall of where to pitch to, maybe with a sensor that lit up when a strike was recorded?

Perhaps you have written instructions at each station, and 1-2 trainers making sure people are doing the exercises correctly. As for the pitching and hitting, most kids know what they are doing wrong, they just need somewhere to practice it.

Just my two cents.

Go to Top of Page

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  10:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about a facility that concentrated on the mental aspect of the game. Players need to be confident. They can work out all day and do a million reps at different stations. What happens when he hits the field. I think mental preparation and knowledge of the game are 2nd to none. To bad all these facility guys just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by patent pending

What about a facility that concentrated on the mental aspect of the game. Players need to be confident. They can work out all day and do a million reps at different stations. What happens when he hits the field. I think mental preparation and knowledge of the game are 2nd to none. To bad all these facility guys just don't get it.

I am of the opinion that players can become more confident with more reps. If a kid who has fielded a ball a million times can't do it in a game situation on a consistent basis I don't think an indoor facility is going to be able to do anything about that.

Higher level players have a mental toughness about them, it isn't learned it is pretty much inherent. You either have it, or you don't. I think of it like a high level pitcher, not everyone can throw 95 mph, not even with the best training money can by and starting from birth. Your body will either allow it, or it won't. Similarly, you either have it in your head that you CAN field/hit/throw better than other kids and you want to prove that...or you just don't have what it takes to get to the next level.

If you are talking about under 12u kids then that comes back to the encouragement of the coach, which is a different breed than a 17u coach, and ultimately that the child is on the correct team for their skill level.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  14:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 500' x 250' x 45' high a-frame steel building (no pillars or posts in the middle). All carpet. Heated/cooled. A multitude of cables/netting that can divide into cages, as needed, or have one big open space to work like an indoor field. A 'family area' where there are couches, chairs, tv's (maybe video games for siblings). A plentiful supply of L-screens, portable mounds, ball baskets, (not sure about pitching machines... most teams/instructors prefer to pitch to their kids vs. machines) etc. Nothing too eccentric, but with this big of a carpeted facility, it could be rented by soccer, lacrosse, or even football teams to workout in. And/or, if you wanted to even get more of a use out of it, having inflatables, where you could blow them up, and host b-day parties and such....

Yeah, I've thought WAY too much about this, as there is a need in certain areas (outside of E. Cobb).
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  14:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

I am of the opinion that players can become more confident with more reps. If a kid who has fielded a ball a million times can't do it in a game situation on a consistent basis I don't think an indoor facility is going to be able to do anything about that.

Higher level players have a mental toughness about them, it isn't learned it is pretty much inherent. You either have it, or you don't. I think of it like a high level pitcher, not everyone can throw 95 mph, not even with the best training money can by and starting from birth. Your body will either allow it, or it won't. Similarly, you either have it in your head that you CAN field/hit/throw better than other kids and you want to prove that...or you just don't have what it takes to get to the next level.

If you are talking about under 12u kids then that comes back to the encouragement of the coach, which is a different breed than a 17u coach, and ultimately that the child is on the correct team for their skill level.

Although I don't expect an indoor facility to provide it. I do feel that the mental toughness is something that is both learned and acquired through experience. My son has been playing high level ball for the past seven years. He has had plenty of reps and played in plenty of high-pressure situations. But he still goes back to his old batting coach on a regular basis. But these days, they spend very little time on mechanics and most of the time talking about the mental side of the game.
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  14:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

On-line scheduling of batting cages with pitching machines. A separate (comfortable) place for parents to wait.

Great idea, walk-ins would simply wait if previously booked online.

What would you pay for 30 mins, 1 hour ? etc...

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  15:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why not be different? There are a million indoor facilities and all have pitching machines and batting cages.

I can't speak for the rest of the folks but I would pay a monthly membership fee to just be able to drop my kid off and he could practice at different stations like in a workout gym. Obviously he would have to take his turn waiting for certain activities, but I think it would be worth it. Ideally the location would be in East Cobb and stations would contain both baseball and speed/strengthening/agility stations. Many teams don't have a winter program, this would certainly be a turn key situation for teams to sign up for, or individual kids that want to gain strength over the winter.

3. Resistance bands both stationary and free standing to work on leg and arm strengthening.
5. Fielding station with X's on the floor on where you need to stand to get various types of fielding in, i.e. backhand, to the right side, to the left side...etc.
7. Pitching cages with a diagram on the wall of where to pitch to, maybe with a sensor that lit up when a strike was recorded?

Perhaps you have written instructions at each station, and 1-2 trainers making sure people are doing the exercises correctly. As for the pitching and hitting, most kids know what they are doing wrong, they just need somewhere to practice it.

Just my two cents.

Love all the ideas, give me a week or two and we will have a plan together. Maybe we will call it the CaCO3Girl session. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  15:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great idea. Sports Psychologist and/or ex-player experience on mental toughness. What about if we did classes or have speakers on the mental aspects?

I agree all the reps in the world will help, but as Yogi Berra said, 80 percent mental, the other half physical!
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  16:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

A 500' x 250' x 45' high a-frame steel building (no pillars or posts in the middle). All carpet. Heated/cooled. A multitude of cables/netting that can divide into cages, as needed, or have one big open space to work like an indoor field. A 'family area' where there are couches, chairs, tv's (maybe video games for siblings). A plentiful supply of L-screens, portable mounds, ball baskets, (not sure about pitching machines... most teams/instructors prefer to pitch to their kids vs. machines) etc. Nothing too eccentric, but with this big of a carpeted facility, it could be rented by soccer, lacrosse, or even football teams to workout in. And/or, if you wanted to even get more of a use out of it, having inflatables, where you could blow them up, and host b-day parties and such....

Yeah, I've thought WAY too much about this, as there is a need in certain areas (outside of E. Cobb).

Agree, agree, agree.
Large facilities are versatile by themselves. It would also meet seasonality changes of sports.
Sitting area, play are for siblings, a must. agreeeee!

Great concept, thanks for input.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  21:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Sports

quote:

Thank you

There is a place in Jupiter Florida that offers that. You can reserve 30 minutes or an hour. You pay when you get there, so it is not a complicated system. Customers like it because they know there will be a cage available. You just block out times that are reserved for teams, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  10:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you

There is a place in Jupiter Florida that offers that. You can reserve 30 minutes or an hour. You pay when you get there, so it is not a complicated system. Customers like it because they know there will be a cage available. You just block out times that are reserved for teams, etc.

What happens if one booked online, but nmo one shows up? the facility would leave money on the table.

Now with an account, and a card on file, one could simply bill if they show or not. Do you agree?
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  10:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After careful consideration, we have decided to offer the speed and agility stations and batting "all-in-one" package. Come see us next Saturday between 9-11 am at Beacon Sports in Emerson.

I think you will like it. Make sure you come see me Ray when you come in. Just $15, you can do up to 2 hours. Ray

quote:

quote:

Just my two cents.

Love all the ideas, give me a week or two and we will have a plan together. Maybe we will call it the CaCO3Girl session. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Kory

50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  14:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, we probably have enough indoor batting cage facilities. The first person/company to open something like this will be the real winner: http://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5/12/BSB_Practice_Facility.aspx?id=5
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  13:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kory

To be honest, we probably have enough indoor batting cage facilities. The first person/company to open something like this will be the real winner: http://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5/12/BSB_Practice_Facility.aspx?id=5

Wow, that is nice. Indoor infield would really be great, we could practice defense year round.

The challenge you face is cost of building. Free Standing, meaning no post, come at a high cost to build. I spoke to a cheerleader business owner and his building was 1.6 million to get started.

Do you think Lake Point Sports will build one of these?
Go to Top of Page

Kory

50 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  18:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if Lake Pointe is going to build one. There is another facility like this in Richmond, VA. It is specifically for youth sports (baseball and softball) and the field rents for $125 an hour. I believe that that location was built in an old hangar and is a bit larger than the Shocker facility. So, if anyone can purchase an old blimp hangar or large aircraft hangar, the cost would obviously go down.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  18:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PSA: throwing a bone to a facility and I stand to gain nothing from it.

http://www.nsta.net/#!facility/c8sf
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  11:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kory

I'm not sure if Lake Pointe is going to build one. There is another facility like this in Richmond, VA. It is specifically for youth sports (baseball and softball) and the field rents for $125 an hour. I believe that that location was built in an old hangar and is a bit larger than the Shocker facility. So, if anyone can purchase an old blimp hangar or large aircraft hangar, the cost would obviously go down.

Great idea, they also have high ceilings, flat concrete. HVAC could be an issue?
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  11:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

PSA: throwing a bone to a facility and I stand to gain nothing from it.

http://www.nsta.net/#!facility/c8sf

Thanks for the bone, who knows, you may gain something form it! Come see us at Beacon Sports if ever you are playing at Lake Point! Ask for Ray
Go to Top of Page

Beacon Sports

29 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to Thank you all for the input. This is greatly considered as we improve our facility in Emerson. If you have not had the chance to see it, please come in and see us when at Lake Point Sports Complex.
105 2nd Street in Emerson GA. Look for our banners on highway 41. We are located .5 miles from Lake Point.

Thanks Ray
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000