General Discussion
 Mind blown
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  10:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid is a 10th grader at my son's school but 3rd in line at his position on varsity. Coaching staff makes up some ca-ca about him being a student coach on varsity rather than play JV because they didn't want him to go to another school to play?

Something isn't right and now I've heard everything.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know very little about the 10th grade world but why would it be an option for him to go to another school...and why would it matter what position he held on the team? Please translate.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  11:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he changed schools without actually moving, he would need to sit out the season. (Per GA high school rules) What you are saying makes no sense at all.
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  13:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite sure that I am reading this right, but in my opinion 3rd string varsity is less desirable that starting on JV???
Go to Top of Page

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  14:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's not playing on either team. Just a student coach on varsity. He's good enough for them not to want him to change schools but not good enough to actually play JV? Come on. Something is fishy with this.
Go to Top of Page

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  15:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

If he changed schools without actually moving, he would need to sit out the season. (Per GA high school rules) What you are saying makes no sense at all.

He wouldn't have had to sit out if he has never played varsity ball. He could go down the street and start at another school close by. They need the help. Plus we know of plenty of guys who fudged up a hardship even after having played varsity and ended up somewhere else. No lie. No dog in the hunt. Just never heard of such shenanigans. Have you?
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  18:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseballcrazymom

Kid is a 10th grader at my son's school.

3rd in line at his position on varsity.

Coaching staff makes up some [excuse?] bout him being a student coach on varsity.

rather than play JV.

[All] because they didn't want him to go to another school to play.

I tried to break your post down to how I understood it... So, you're asking what a "student coach" is? I've never heard of one either.

Sadly it appears the family may have 'gone elsewhere' if their son didn't make Varsity, is that correct? If so, it's sad because, while he can BRAG that he's on varsity, it sounds as if his game reps will be minimal at best. --- The kids development suffers, all the while the kid (or probably more so the parents) get to puff out their chest that their 10th grader made varsity.

Again, this is all assumptions based on what I made out of your post.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  10:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There may be more to the story than you know. He may have grades issues or something else and the family may be spinning one story to try and save face.

He's either on the roster as a varsity player or he is not. If he's on the roster, then he's bound by all the GHSA transfer, eligibility rules, etc.

If he's not and he is a "student manager" (our school has several that typically run video and do other tasks for the coach during game), then he's free to go to another school and have immediate eligibility if he's never rostered prior as varsity.

If he's been rostered on varsity by the head coach and being relegated to 3rd string, then he simply needs to get better. If the kid were one of the top 9 hitters on the team, they'd find a place to get him lineup, period. If he's truly third string and log jammed there, then this is a great lesson for parents to make sure that your player has a secondary position, and can hit regardless of where you want him to play. This is the simple truth about HS ball and above.

I suspect there may be more to the story than anyone knows, but based on what you've stated, I'd say that he's at the bottom of the depth chart and that its his job to work his way up. He may be in the coach's plans for his Jr. & Sr. year, so perhaps that's part of the mix. Either way, the true "development" takes place at practice. If this kid is practicing with Varsity all season, he'll get developed. He will see live pitching again in the summer. Again, parents, heed this. Make sure you're player is learning multiple positions from 8u-14u, and can hit.

Edited by - in_the_know on 02/20/2016 11:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  14:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows? It could be anything. Back in lala land I truly thought high school baseball would be run and chosen on talent and execution at practice and follow thru execution in games. Back in the real world high school baseball is very often run on upper classmen entitlement, politics, and the absolute inability of High School coaches to say the one simple word..... No........ for fear of making someones big boy panties get in a wad.
Go to Top of Page

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  19:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a sophomore. Why not play him on JV? He's not a rostered varsity player. I think everybody involved in this are a bunch of doofuses.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  12:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseballcrazymom

He's a sophomore. Why not play him on JV? He's not a rostered varsity player. I think everybody involved in this are a bunch of doofuses.

I think you're right

Good grief, High school will be here before you know it............everything else is
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  11:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

Good grief, High school will be here before you know it............everything else is

Yes it will, then it will be gone as well - before you know it. My son is in his senior year of college and it seems like yesterday he was a freshman trying out for the HS team. It goes by REALLY fast. Enjoy every minute while you can... These times will not last forever.
Go to Top of Page

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  14:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable ! How fast it goes ! My oldest just finished. Started varsity every game 4 years straight 1st team all region Junior and senior yrs. He's a freshmen in college. Started playing PG at 15 it also flew by. So much fun. Truly enjoyed it ! Would do it again any day. Too bad my 4U practice got canceled today. I love this _______________!!fill in the blank
Go to Top of Page

bballguy

224 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  12:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baseballcrazymom......the answer is likely simple but you won't like it. He isn't good enough for JV either or he'd be playing.
Go to Top of Page

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha. Maybe. Like I said, EVERYBODY involved with this is a doofus. Parents, coaches and players. If he's no good, why keep him around at all? Oh wait I know. The whole program is plain weird that's why. SMH.
Go to Top of Page

jahannah

11 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  06:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I know the boys appreciate the opportunity to play with their friends and represent their school, the importance of high school baseball has diminished with the rise of travel ball. I love our HS coach, who is bright, enthusiastic, and really wants to develop players. I love our travel coach who provides the technical knowledge and runs the team as a meritocracy.

But too many HS coaches run their programs like their personal fiefdoms, enjoying the power they have over their charges. Some have rec level coaching abilities and cannot evaluate talent. Others will prioritize fundraising and volunteerism over playing ability. These features are inherent in school ball, but that does not make them easier to stomach.

Not all HS coaches act this way and some travel coaches do as well. I am just glad that travel ball has developed to the extent that it provides a meaningful alternative (almost a substitute) to a system that needs to change.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  11:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jahannah,

All great points and I don't disagree with any of them.

One thing that many years and several boys through the "system" has taught me is that, regardless of how good or bad a coach and his program are, there will always be a half dozen people who are satisfied, another half dozen who are indifferent and a half dozen who will never be pleased with decisions. And those averages TEND to align by their son's actual talent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000