General Discussion
 First injury.....glove wrist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  12:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my son has his first(of hopefully not many) injury. Its his glove side wrist. Cant remember when it happened or even really when started to hurt.
I saw him take a foul ball off the wrist while catching 2 weekends ago; without his evo shield wrist protector on of course
He seems to think it was from diving back to first base when the catcher threw behind him while he was on base. It probably was then because he thinks he may have jammed it "just a little".
The pain is inside his wrist when he flexes his hand up or down. No detectable swelling. Feels great when wrapped.
Anywho, he IS going to the doctor this afternoon but I was wondering if anyone here has been through this one before. Any idea what we may be in for? Thank goodness we are off this weekend.........this is adversity that I knew would one day come. I'm just hoping it wont be too devastating......

Worried dad

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  12:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's really no telling based on the information you have given. Could be anything from a bruise to a fracture or a slight sprain to a torn ligament. Best to wait and see what the doctor says. And then do what he says. Your son is young and will most likely bounce back quickly. He has plenty of baseball in front of him, so no sense in rushing things in the short term only to wind up making it worse for the long term.

Be patient. Let us know what the doc says.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  16:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc says its just a sprain and a week in the brace with no sporting activities and he should be good to go. Xrays showed no fractures(Thank You Lord).......nice way to start the summer, but at least thats a best case scenario, I guess. Definitely not going to rush his recovery..........

I am really bumming as we had plans to go play on the lake today and tomorrow..........I really look forward to the days I get to spend with my kid doing anything.....right now he cant do much of anything. More adversity I guess we have to contend with.

I plan on shutting him down this summer(as I have been informed its a good idea) and have him spend a lot of time behind the boat..........Batting and Speed and Agility will continue, but the only throwing he'll do is maybe warm me up before a softball game.
Go to Top of Page

beaudarville

1 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  20:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  01:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding. Kids bounce back quicker than us old people. Just relax and take it easy for a while. Baseball is not going anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hyper extension is VERY common in baseball.

Be careful of your shutdown options. If you shut your kid down for June/July and then expect him to tryout for his 2016/2017 team in late July August you may not be happy with where he lands. For this geographical area the "shut down" usually happens between October-Mid January.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  09:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad the news was good. I'm assuming you have to go back in a week and have the doc check it again. I'm big on not rushing things, but not sure shutting him down for the whole summer is necessary... If doc says he's good to go and your son does not feel any more discomfort, might as well start back up. BTW, I would think with a wrist sprain, spending a lot of time "behind the boat" may be worse for him that throwing a baseball. Be careful. How old is your son again? And you mentioned that the sprain is on the glove side wrist. Why the big concern with throwing? His throwing side is OK, right?
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  17:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

Glad the news was good. I'm assuming you have to go back in a week and have the doc check it again. I'm big on not rushing things, but not sure shutting him down for the whole summer is necessary... If doc says he's good to go and your son does not feel any more discomfort, might as well start back up. BTW, I would think with a wrist sprain, spending a lot of time "behind the boat" may be worse for him that throwing a baseball. Be careful. How old is your son again? And you mentioned that the sprain is on the glove side wrist. Why the big concern with throwing? His throwing side is OK, right?

My Nicholas is 12yo and yes, its his Glove or left wrist. He's all excited that he got his first wrist brace.......I think, he thinks its cool or something.....but his throwing arm is fine.

When I say shut him down, it would probably be for July, Aug, Septemberish. And all that means is just Not throwing a ball for a few months. We have always played fall ball, so I'm not sure how this next season would be any different. There are thoughts of playing football this year too........just to do it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000