New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

satchel

28 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  12:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait until we have to use BBCOR bats. Played a tourney this weekend and the other team all used the same bat. There were 5' tall kids hitting 1 hoppers to the fence. Also alot of home runs from kids that were all under 5'10" with normal builds. There swings were good, but not that good. This was on a high school field. Ump checked the bat an said "it has a 1.15 sticker". Of course it did. My drivers license says I weigh 190 lbs, but it doesn't make it so. He didn't check to see if it had been rolled or shaved (which is nearly impossible to tell if done right anyway, from what I have read). When was the last time you saw an entire team use the same bat? Coach Pitch? I don't doubt that the parents and kids even know about the tampered bat, but whoever bought that bat sure knows about it. Shame on them.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  14:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was discussed on another board, one member brought up the point that 20 years ago the coach bought one or two bats and everyone used them....nowadays if someone does that it is assumed the bat has been tampered with.

But seriously, in 14u USSSA will still allow that stupid 1.15 bat....just pray your kid is playing outfield while the team of 8th/9th graders who are already shaving are using the drop 10 bat!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  22:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with a team using the same bat. Only way to tell if a bat had been rolled or shaved is it to break and inspected from the inside. No way to tell from the outside of the bat. 1.15 BPF Sticker means nothing and is not highly regulated like the BBCOR standard. IMO a drop 10 should be used by 9u/10u, then drop 8 for 10u/11u, drop 5 for 11u/12u/13u. BBCOR for 13u/14u plus. If 11u plus is using a drop 10 I would not worry about it too much, they will phase out when they have to swing a BBCOR.

What that said, all bats used should be compression tested before any game to see if they fall below the recommended levels set by USSSA. I bet that half of the bats out there would fail. I could easily put a 1.15 sticker on any one of the super hot prototype bats I have and the Umps would not know any difference.
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  13:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12 and 13 year old's using a -10 are setting themselves up for failure unless they don't plan on playing in high school. Going form -10 to a -5 is a big deal, not to mention a -3. I just checked Triple Crown and the older age group (14u) of our weekend tournament requires a -3 bat. Nobody in there right mind that is working towards playing in high school should be using a -10 past 10u or 11u. -8 at 12, -5 at 13 at a minimum. I've started to accelerate that a big with my kid. He has used a -8 all year at 11u. Hopefully we can start to work with a -5 off the tee at home this fall.
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  23:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, a USSSA Major team recently used an illegal bat with a clearly visible crack in the barrel (composite -5 bat) for nearly an entire tournament because the umpires & tourney director twice said it was legal due to it having the 1.15 sticker.....?? On the third protest, they finally looked it up in the rule book & what do you know, a cracked bat isn't legal; imagine that! The coaches said they'd been using it most all spring and you'd of thought it was the only bat they had in the dugout; every kid was swinging it. Sounded like a tennis racket when they hit the ball. They suffered their first shutout of the season in their next game without it though.

I'm sorry, but there's no way that Major level coaches didn't know they had an illegal bat. I'm willing to bet they started using it again in the next tourney(s) and will swing it until it busts or they get busted again. So, I'm of the a similar mindset that if a team is all swinging the same bat, something is up. The days of having "team" bats, helmets, catching gear, etc are long gone.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  09:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ABC_Baseball

12 and 13 year old's using a -10 are setting themselves up for failure unless they don't plan on playing in high school. Going form -10 to a -5 is a big deal, not to mention a -3. I just checked Triple Crown and the older age group (14u) of our weekend tournament requires a -3 bat. Nobody in there right mind that is working towards playing in high school should be using a -10 past 10u or 11u. -8 at 12, -5 at 13 at a minimum. I've started to accelerate that a big with my kid. He has used a -8 all year at 11u. Hopefully we can start to work with a -5 off the tee at home this fall.

Well this is an entire other thread....BUT....several coaches will use what will get them the win not necessarily what will make the player better.

When my son was 12u he was 5'7 and 130#'s and in 7th grade. I asked if we could get him a drop 5 bat. The coach said "He needs to be swinging the lightest bat he's allowed to swing, get him a drop 10."

Yes, my son was a consistent power hitter, yes, over the fence was a weekly occurrence, but that coach was all about the win/advantage and not about the development. In the end he transitioned from the drop 10 to the drop 3 just fine but he isn't with that coach anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  10:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebaseball

Yea, a USSSA Major team recently used an illegal bat with a clearly visible crack in the barrel (composite -5 bat) for nearly an entire tournament because the umpires & tourney director twice said it was legal due to it having the 1.15 sticker.....?? On the third protest, they finally looked it up in the rule book & what do you know, a cracked bat isn't legal; imagine that! The coaches said they'd been using it most all spring and you'd of thought it was the only bat they had in the dugout; every kid was swinging it. Sounded like a tennis racket when they hit the ball. They suffered their first shutout of the season in their next game without it though.

I'm sorry, but there's no way that Major level coaches didn't know they had an illegal bat. I'm willing to bet they started using it again in the next tourney(s) and will swing it until it busts or they get busted again. So, I'm of the a similar mindset that if a team is all swinging the same bat, something is up. The days of having "team" bats, helmets, catching gear, etc are long gone.

I have to agree with you sebaseball. These days players and parents want their own gear. I have only see a few shared bats and maybe some catchers gear this year. The coaches have to know about the cracked bat. I check all bats of my players for any damage no matter how hot they are. Once you are known to use an illegal bat, words gets out quick and you will be quickly put on radar watch.
Go to Top of Page

Knuckleball48

14 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  12:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really surprised to see an East Cobb team using the "one bat for all" this year. It was probably the 5th or 6th best team out of that system and they hit the ball harder and deeper than the Colt 45's and Astros did off of us. We questioned there bat and one of their parents said "this same crap happens at every tourney we play..." Gee, I wonder why.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  14:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knuckleball48

I was really surprised to see an East Cobb team using the "one bat for all" this year. It was probably the 5th or 6th best team out of that system and they hit the ball harder and deeper than the Colt 45's and Astros did off of us. We questioned there bat and one of their parents said "this same crap happens at every tourney we play..." Gee, I wonder why.

All ECB teams are not equal when it comes to coaching or rule following. Many teams really are just paying for the name with zero influence from the higher ups on how the team should be being run.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  15:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:
Originally posted by sebaseball

I have to agree with you sebaseball. These days players and parents want their own gear. I have only see a few shared bats and maybe some catchers gear this year. The coaches have to know about the cracked bat. I check all bats of my players for any damage no matter how hot they are. Once you are known to use an illegal bat, words gets out quick and you will be quickly put on radar watch.

Boy you'd sure think This^^^^^

I dont get it at all.........they say we become our parents. What are we raising out there as far as Character these days?
My kid would Not be on a team that was ok with an illegal bat.

Heck I wont even roll my softball bat........and boy I want to

My 12 yo is starting with a -5 after 1 and a half seasons with his -8. We are having fun with the transition and that -5 is actually a -4 per my fish scale It sounds a LOT different than the drop 8 too; and they are both 2014 XL1s.

Does the ball not jump off a heavier bat better? Seemed to me like it did. Or is it the swing speed that increases so much on the drop 10?

Edited by - bfriendly on 06/09/2016 15:17:17
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  15:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

Does the ball not jump off a heavier bat better? Seemed to me like it did. Or it is the swing speed that increases so much?

Swing speed is king, but the weight of the bat helps too, as does the speed of the pitch. Think back to your physics classes. Force is equal to mass times acceleration.

Here is a fun website...
http://forceandmotionbaseball.weebly.com/newtons-laws.html

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  00:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 9yr old son played in a tournament yesterday. In a rush to leave he grabbed his bag which usually has his drop 10 game bat and bbcor practice bat and left his drop 10, 1.15 BFP game bat at home. He ended up batting with his bbcor and i got a call from the coach saying the other team's coach protested the bat because it did not have the 1.15 BPF on it, but did have the bbcor stamp after he hit one over the fence. Needless to say the umps were so clueless they had to call the tournament dirs to check and see if the bat was legal. Luckily the dirs said that if he can swing a bbcor at his age, so be it.

I jus think the moon and stars were aligned when he made contact with the pitch. We usually use the bbcor for tee and dry swing work anyway.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/12/2016 08:06:00
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  12:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My 9yr old son played in a tournament yesterday. In a rush to leave he grabbed his bag which usually has his drop 10 game bat and bbcor practice bat and left his drop 10, 1.15 BFP game bat at home. He ended up batting with his bbcor and i got a call from the coach saying the other team's coach protested the bat because it did not have the 1.15 BPF on it, but did have the bbcor stamp after he hit one over the fence. Needless to say the umps were so clueless they had to call the tournament dirs to check and see if the bat was legal. Luckily the dirs said that if he can swing a bbcor at his age, so be it.

I jus think the moon and stars were aligned when he made contact with the pitch. We usually use the bbcor for tee and dry swing work anyway.

He already knew what it felt like and he let it happen
Didn't get in his own way and just did what he has done a thousand times already.......I know you must have enjoyed it too. Congrats Punisher!
Friday night I got to enjoy watching my son hit back to back Dingers for the first time!It was unbelievable, yet somehow, not really too surprising...............is it bad when I expect him to crush it every time he is up?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  08:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Didn't get in his own way and just did what he has done a thousand times already.......I know you must have enjoyed it too. Congrats Punisher!
Friday night I got to enjoy watching my son hit back to back Dingers for the first time!It was unbelievable, yet somehow, not really too surprising...............is it bad when I expect him to crush it every time he is up?

As long as you keep those thoughts in YOUR head it isn't bad. If on the ride home you begin questioning WHY he didn't crush it and inform him he will now be spending an extra 2 hours per day at the cages, and he's grounded for not hitting properly in a game at 12u...THAT would be bad (and I've seen it happen).
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  09:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks
I actually missed it. Was at lake point watching the older players. As the kids get older and pitchers getting better plus add in a bigger field, you will not see as many crushed balls. Don't expect it, just hope he is following his mechanics and make solid contact.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/13/2016 09:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  09:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

quote:

As long as you keep those thoughts in YOUR head it isn't bad. If on the ride home you begin questioning WHY he didn't crush it and inform him he will now be spending an extra 2 hours per day at the cages, and he's grounded for not hitting properly in a game at 12u...THAT would be bad (and I've seen it happen).

That would be too much. Even pro players have off days. No one is on all the time, every time. Not right to expect that from a kid. Just observe what he is doing wrong and work on it.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  10:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BBCOR at 9u and hit a HR huh? Sounds good on paper.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  11:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj94

quote:

Keep in mind the fence distance at 9u....it's a 46x65 field...how far was the fence 150ft? The guy already said the stars aligned...it was just one of those weird things.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  13:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by aj94

quote:

Keep in mind the fence distance at 9u....it's a 46x65 field...how far was the fence 150ft? The guy already said the stars aligned...it was just one of those weird things.

The BBCOR bat he used was a Demarini CF Zen 30 inch. The game bat is a 30 inch drop 10 bat. Like i said. Everything must have been aligned for that hit. The issue was the umps complaining about the bat not having the 1.15 BPF stamp. Not sure the distance of the fence I guess around 200ft.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/13/2016 13:33:48
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 9 yr old is swinging a 30 inch bat? Wow.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  14:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

A 9 yr old is swinging a 30 inch bat? Wow.

I've seen many swing 31 inch bats this year.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  23:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^again wow.... big boys..most 9U swinging a 31 inch bat would have the bat swinging them. My kid was about 51 inches tall at 9 and he was on the small side but not noticeably so. Picture him swinging 31 inches lol.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  10:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

^^^^again wow.... big boys..most 9U swinging a 31 inch bat would have the bat swinging them. My kid was about 51 inches tall at 9 and he was on the small side but not noticeably so. Picture him swinging 31 inches lol.

Mines is 59 inches tall now and still growing. He has this mental thing where he wants to stand in the middle of the batter box. Works for him, so I don't change it.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/14/2016 10:27:35
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  11:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now if he is that big it makes sense..almost 5 feet at 9 is definitely a big kid!!!
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  11:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Great point.....I dont beat him up too bad......Quite frankly, I dont think I am as tough on him as he is on himself.....He pretty much expects to crush it every time. I like him thinking that way so long as he can accept the failures and learn from them, rather than let them get him down.........
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  13:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now if he is that big it makes sense..almost 5 feet at 9 is definitely a big kid!!!

Oh my, I'm going to blame lack of caffeine...59 inches is almost 5 foot tall, not 5'9. foot = 12 inches
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000