New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  23:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys have any things you would consider "Red Flags" at a tryout?

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  08:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they are not positive about where they practice..tryouts are not always at practice fields fyi.

Can they be specific before charging for tryouts how many spots are available and what positions.

Why are you losing players every single year. yes a couple is expected but more than 5-6 is odd. Why was your roster different at years end than start?

Who is the full time coach? Will the coach be at the games or is he passing it off to a dad?

Can you guarantee how many tournaments you will play?
Go to Top of Page

Il Leonne

11 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  08:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An overall lack of organization. If the participants are running all over the place at tryouts One could expect similar during practices. Is anybody writing anything down or taking notes on players?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  10:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The core of already existing players being absent from the tryout. They should be there.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  10:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Do you guys have any things you would consider "Red Flags" at a tryout?

How many kids are coming back from previous year. They should be at tryout.
How many dad coaches. I have seen teams with 4-5 dad coaches.
If dad coached, how good is their kid?
After a certain age, it is better to go to a paid coach team. I say 12 and after.
What tournaments will they be playing in?
Pitching philosophy?
Are they fall friendly to kids in other sports?
Do they shut down for a couple of months to rest arm? Nov- February usually
Caliber of kids that show up at tyrouts...the coach or team may have a rep you are not aware of.

Trust your instincts.
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

unitedballers

29 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  11:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Head Coach is not present during Tryouts
2) Half of the current roster is not at tryouts (unless it's an established competitive program with a great history)
3) Bases and/or mound have not been moved to reflect new age group
4) Combining age groups do to lack of attendance
5) Pitching is not evaluated at tryouts (especially with new NFHS pitch count rules that will hopefully trickle down)
6) Coaches (especially at the younger age groups) wanting to see curve balls
7) Coaches that are unwilling to show you the team stats but tell you "We will always protect our kids" or "every kid on our team can pitch"
8) Unorganized & chaotic tryouts - I suggest to go watch some good teams have tryouts so you can compare
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  12:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

The core of already existing players being absent from the tryout. They should be there.

I have seen this a lot lately. It's like they are hiding them for some reason

Edited by - Punishers on 07/17/2016 13:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  15:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are any good they would be there because that is a draw to good players to play with their own.
Go to Top of Page

SpartanGA

16 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  15:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coaches not having a organized plan. If they are making stuff up on the run you could guess the rest of the season would be similar!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  15:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unitedballers

1) Head Coach is not present during Tryouts
2) Half of the current roster is not at tryouts (unless it's an established competitive program with a great history)
3) Bases and/or mound have not been moved to reflect new age group
4) Combining age groups do to lack of attendance
5) Pitching is not evaluated at tryouts (especially with new NFHS pitch count rules that will hopefully trickle down)
6) Coaches (especially at the younger age groups) wanting to see curve balls
7) Coaches that are unwilling to show you the team stats but tell you "We will always protect our kids" or "every kid on our team can pitch"
8) Unorganized & chaotic tryouts - I suggest to go watch some good teams have tryouts so you can compare

Have to agree with you entirely. Why even have a tryout with the Head Coach is not there.

A lot of this seem like basic stuff. It's not rocket science to conduct an organized tryout.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few things this weekend.

If a tryout starts at a certain time where are coaches?? coaches should be on field long before tryout time and not walk up at start time.

I saw a tryout for my kid and head coach was with another team in a event. Trusted other age coaches to grade and pick players. Big academy's coaches do not always pick players.

Some teams will give players off to rest during tryout period. It should be down time for arms not a time to run around throwing every weekend. Its a perk of staying with same team. I am ok with that if i know they have a good group coming back and the program had no red flags during events or during year. Can i talk to parents or find their info? Will coach give it to me
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  08:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-Sometimes not having the returning players is a red flag, but if it's an established team there may not be a need. If you are concerned the easy fix is to tell the coach "I appreciate the offer to my son but I'd love to see how he meshes with the other boys on the team before we commit"....there is NOTHING wrong with saying this and any coach that gives you grief about it, well, THAT would be a major red flag.

-Agree, if head coach isn't there and hasn't called ahead that he's running late due to a flat tire or something, HUGE red flag.

-Not every team knows what they are looking for and may not know in advance what spots are open. If you hear the phrase "We expect to have 2-3 spots open, ALL positions", that isn't a red flag. The kid who played 1B last year was good but the new kid that tried out was awesome and so the former 1B will now move to 3B...if the coach had said 1B is filled they may have missed out on a great player. I'd worry more about the under 14u coach who says "We are specifically looking for a LF, a 2B, and a C".....that coach sounds like he isn't open to new ideas.

-Honestly, know what you want out of a team. If you are looking for a very knowledgeable coach then you can tell how he corrects the kids during the tryout if he is knowledgeable or not. If he's not correcting the kids, even in tiny ways, that is a huge red flag for me.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  23:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see how the coach interacts with the kids. Kids will have a good feel when it comes to being instructed by the coaches.

Edited by - Punishers on 07/19/2016 09:21:48
Go to Top of Page

unitedballers

29 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  17:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And let's not forget that team that changes its name/uniform every year in hopes that nobody will recognize/remember them.
Go to Top of Page

falcons_fan

2 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  09:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I know there are a lot of coaches on here, how about sharing some of the red flags from a coaching perspective? Here are some of the ones I know of:

- Parents that carry their kids equipment onto the field or dugout at tryouts - they should be able to carry their own stuff if they want to play travel ball. Parents should not be in the dugout.

- Parents that hover wherever their players goes. If he's in RF, then they hang out outside the fence by RF. If he's batting, then they hang out by the backstop.

- Kids that don't socialize with any of the other players. I've even seen one that just hung out with his dad in the other dugout until it was his turn.

- Players that show up late to the tryouts - not a good precedent to set.

- Parents that send REALLY long post tryout e-mails trying to explain why their kid looked "off" that day.

I'm sure others have more red flags to share...
Go to Top of Page

ofs13

48 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  10:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by falcons_fan

Since I know there are a lot of coaches on here, how about sharing some of the red flags from a coaching perspective? Here are some of the ones I know of:

- Parents that send REALLY long post tryout e-mails trying to explain why their kid looked "off" that day.

- Kids' body language when they miss a ball or make a bad throw. How do they handle the little mistakes that will happen in baseball.

- Parents who actually tell the coach their kid is only at the tryout, because this team is their "backup plan."

- Kids who show up to tryouts in shorts and sneakers. I'm sure this is more of a younger age group issue, but I swear I've seen it more than once this tryout season already in as old a groups as 11u & 12u.

- ...in response to the long emails for why Johnny had a bad tryout, there is nothing wrong with contacting a coach and saying Johnny feels he didn't perform well (not mommy feels), and would like you to take a second look at him. Just keep it short. Coaches understand that kids can have a bad day, and don't need it explained to them in detail. Most teams have multiple tryout dates to which you can get that second look, or coaches will often hold a private workout if they have not already finalized their roster.
Go to Top of Page

Cats

7 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  10:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the coaches have kids playing or not. Simple question : would they allow their kids to play on a team when they see how some of the tryouts are run?
Go to Top of Page

unitedballers

29 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  10:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

- Parents that carry their kids equipment onto the field or dugout at tryouts - they should be able to carry their own stuff if they want to play travel ball. Parents should not be in the dugout.

- Parents that hover wherever their players goes. If he's in RF, then they hang out outside the fence by RF. If he's batting, then they hang out by the backstop.

- Kids that don't socialize with any of the other players. I've even seen one that just hung out with his dad in the other dugout until it was his turn.

Honestly I've seen more "red flags" from coaches than I've ever had from parents/kids. Coaches are the ones responsible for setting tone/team ground rules...creating a level of expectation that parents and their kids must adhere to. "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. ~ Vince Lombardi"
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  10:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've personally seen:
1. A kid boast loudly in the dugout on a water break that he was of course going to make the team, this tryout was just a formality, I mean look who else showed up I'm clearly the best(he didn't make the team).

2. After every swing or pitch kid looks to dad/mom for approval...usually while dad or mom is yelling instructions like "show 'em your curve, keep your head in there...etc"

3. Kid is totally unwilling to try a different grip, or approach the coach has asked him to do/try, tells the coach "No thanks, I like my way better".
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  13:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the coach that sees one swing then starts changing a kids swing? This is a tryout not a clinic let the kid swing if you think you can get more out of him later on by making some adjustments fine but not right away. Most kids will not want to play for that coach.
Go to Top of Page

OPHornets

135 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  13:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ofs13

quote:

- Kids' body language when they miss a ball or make a bad throw. How do they handle the little mistakes that will happen in baseball.

- Parents who actually tell the coach their kid is only at the tryout, because this team is their "backup plan."

- Kids who show up to tryouts in shorts and sneakers. I'm sure this is more of a younger age group issue, but I swear I've seen it more than once this tryout season already in as old a groups as 11u & 12u.

- ...in response to the long emails for why Johnny had a bad tryout, there is nothing wrong with contacting a coach and saying Johnny feels he didn't perform well (not mommy feels), and would like you to take a second look at him. Just keep it short. Coaches understand that kids can have a bad day, and don't need it explained to them in detail. Most teams have multiple tryout dates to which you can get that second look, or coaches will often hold a private workout if they have not already finalized their roster.

I knew a guy who said shorts and sneakers were a green flag for him. His thought was that he could coach the kid up but, if Mommy and Daddy didn't care enough to put the kid in baseball gear, they likely aren't going to care enough to help him manage/coach from outside the fence. One of the happiest guys I have ever met!

I am sure we have all been on teams where the short/sneaker kid/parent would have been very appealing!
Go to Top of Page

Kory

50 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  16:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

I've personally seen:
1. A kid boast loudly in the dugout on a water break that he was of course going to make the team, this tryout was just a formality, I mean look who else showed up I'm clearly the best(he didn't make the team).

2. After every swing or pitch kid looks to dad/mom for approval...usually while dad or mom is yelling instructions like "show 'em your curve, keep your head in there...etc"

3. Kid is totally unwilling to try a different grip, or approach the coach has asked him to do/try, tells the coach "No thanks, I like my way better".

We had this last year. A kid from a VERY active poster on this board told everyone in the dugout that he was going to make it no prob. Best athlete there that day. The field was short. He was going to put every ball out. Kid ended up not even putting a BP ball out of the infield and fouled most of them off. Boys who were already on the team just kind of shook their heads and moved on.

Edited by - Kory on 07/21/2016 16:21:03
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  17:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2. After every swing or pitch kid looks to dad/mom for approval...

The "head snap".... #1 way to tell a coach, 'I'll always see if my dad thinks I should have had it, regardless of what you say, coach". The first time I see that, in a tryout, kid gets scratched.

What's wrong with shorts to a tryout? (Assuming no sliding) Is it disrespectful? Do pants make you run faster? Hit further? Throw harder? Field better? I don't think so. To me, either the kid has the ability or not. If he has a +fastball you're not taking him because he's in shorts? He's hitting seeds to he gaps, and shows power to all fields with the bat--- BUT he's in shorts, not taking him? The attire doesn't make the ballplayer...
Go to Top of Page

Stink

35 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  17:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

*Parent talking to the kid while he's hitting or fielding.

*Parent making ANY excuse whatsoever for anything.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  08:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:

2. After every swing or pitch kid looks to dad/mom for approval...

The "head snap".... #1 way to tell a coach, 'I'll always see if my dad thinks I should have had it, regardless of what you say, coach". The first time I see that, in a tryout, kid gets scratched.

What's wrong with shorts to a tryout? (Assuming no sliding) Is it disrespectful? Do pants make you run faster? Hit further? Throw harder? Field better? I don't think so. To me, either the kid has the ability or not. If he has a +fastball you're not taking him because he's in shorts? He's hitting seeds to he gaps, and shows power to all fields with the bat--- BUT he's in shorts, not taking him? The attire doesn't make the ballplayer...

For me baseball pants, shirt tucked in, belt, and hat are a must. If everyone else can put on the proper attire then so can you. If a kid rolls up in shorts I have to think "Well, he obviously thinks he is special and doesn't have to follow the rules, wonder what other rules he will think he doesn't have to follow?"

My son went to a high school workout where several Major players showed up in shorts...granted it was labeled as a workout and it may have been acceptable attire, it wasn't clear what kind of workout it would be. It didn't go well for the shorts kids. The kids sliding into second had to pull up short because they didn't want to cleat the kid in shorts...the kids in shorts couldn't slide to get under a tag, and when there was a bad hop one of the kids had to be walked off the field because he wasn't wearing a cup under his cool looking shorts.

You wear a batting helmet to bat, you wear cleats or turfs when you play, and you wear baseball pants to tryout....that just is what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  08:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caco3 LOL the looking to parent after every play...biggest red flag I agree! The terrified look to Dad is either a glaring lack of self confidence, or a fear of the parent's reaction, or both. I don't know which is worse, but neither is wanted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000