General Discussion
 ANOTHER STRONG 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

motown

25 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  14:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOW DO U GUYS FEEL ABOUT PARENT'S FUNDING TEAM'S? IN RETURN HIS KID NEVER REALLY SIT'S, AND PLAY'S POSITIONS THAT HE SHOULDNT PLAY. NOT REALLY BLAMING THE DAD BUT THE FUNDEE MAY B GETTIN TAKIN ADVANTAGE OF JUST TO SEE HIS KID PLAY.

Reggie

70 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  15:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HE CAN PLAY FOR MY SONS TEAM ANYTIME AND MY SON WILL SIT FOR HIM TO PLAY AS LONG AS IT DOESNT COST ME ANYTHING.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  16:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the economy and the cost of travel ball, I would LOVE for a parent to offer to fund the team. His kid could play regularly. Even give him extra lessons if they wanted it.
Go to Top of Page

proball

36 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  16:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its sound like you're little bit upset when you type in all caps. If you don't like any situation(s) that your child is in just leave because in travel baseball nobody is holding you back. Only you can be the positive role model for child and you have to believe in their abilities. No team will ever do that for you. Also, it sounds like your child is the one that sitting, but maybe you can use that as motivation for the next year. There's is only 9 postions on the field so somebody has to sit out of a full roster.

Edited by - proball on 08/11/2009 22:14:17
Go to Top of Page

ljames

48 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  17:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this happens it's really sad. The kid only suffers by getting a false sense of his skills. When the day comes that mommy and daddy can't buy his spot anymore he will probably quit the game.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  17:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always felt that for $5000 your kid can play wherever he wants...
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  19:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOULD LOVE IT
Go to Top of Page

BigBat

1 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  08:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting response from proball: Perhaps only families that can afford Travel Ball should participate. Pick the best kids from those that can and have fun. I'd say "no" to one family offering to fund the entire team...no need to have other families murmuring the entire season about the "kid who should not be playing."
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  08:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell a story sometimes about a little shortstop that attempted to field a ball and the ball goes under his glove and through his legs. Another ball hit to the shortstop and same result. After 2 more errors in the same inning I had seen enough and to add insult to injury when the shortstop came up to bat he struck out on 3 pitches.

After the game I approached the Coach and stated that the shortstop had killed him and asked the Coach what he was thinking leaving this kid at shortstop. The Coach replied "Have you ever seen his mother, she is beautiful.

True story
Go to Top of Page

bigcatsdad

22 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  10:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had this very situation a few years ago. The years prior the head coach was full of fire and intensity,and always had one of the best teams. Other parents told me he wasn't like that this particular year for some reason. There were several arguments between the coaches throughout the year about who should play where. Mainly from the one who donated the money...Not saying that coach's kid was bad, but we had better players sitting. Initially, I'm sure he had good intentions, but when the parents figure out what is going on it becomes a problem. As the season went along, the head coach just wasn't the same. We were very fortunate in that we only paid a few hundred dollars to play. Funny what money does to you.
Go to Top of Page

AIB

9 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  08:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing I’ve notice about Coaches in Georgia is that they are afraid of delivering the bad news or should I say having the big talk with parents. Question…have you ever ask yourself why teams from TX and Cal win the big tournaments year after year with 20 to 25 kids on the roster?
All the kids and parents know their role. Coaches are upfront with the kids and parents.
Example: I like your son’s ability and I want to pick him up to PITCH. When he is not pitching he will be sitting. However I am giving him the opportunity to play and pitch on the big stage.
I said all that to say that Coaches should be upfront with the parent that is donating the $$ and tell them… thanks for the funding; however I will not do anything to hurt the team by allowing little Johnny to make numerous errors without moving him… to another position of course.
$5K is a lot of money in these times. For 10K you can help me walk the lineup card to the ump.
Go to Top of Page

ecb fastball

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  13:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is no different than having the coaches kids play. What difference is there in the coaches kid playing in front of other kids or have the kid whose dad funds the team get to play. Sounds like Motown's kid is sitting on the bench.
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMomof2

57 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  07:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago when my husband coached an all=star team, we had a parent offer the team a few thousand dollars with no strings attached. He owned a company and he wrote it off as a tax free donation since we played as a 501-c3. At the time of the offer, my husband made sure he stressed that by taking the money for the team it did not buy his son any favor, and the Dad said he understood that.

His kid could pitch and he could hit, but was not good in the field. He saw his share of the bench that season, when he wasn't pitching. There was one kid who rode the bench more than he did. We were blessed with plenty of talent that year. We were about to leave for our State tournament and the Dad came to my husband and said that unless his kid got more playing time, he would not be traveling with the team to the State tournament. He said that his kid was unhappy and that he hated playing for my husband. He reminded my husband that he had given the team a lot of money.

Even when they say there are no strings attached, don't count on it.

We were grateful that we didn't have to bust our butts to fund raise that summer. Their generous contribution was a blessing to the team and we appreciated it. We still see them from time to time. Recently, the kid told my husband that he was his favorite all time coach.

Go to Top of Page

tfb

34 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  10:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BaseballMom2 - Like any money transaction - get it in writing so you can show the dad the "no strings attached clause" any time he complained about playing time. If the kid really wasn't a good player like you state and if he didn't over power everone on the mound why did you pick him for your team?
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMomof2

57 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  10:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tfb

BaseballMom2 - Like any money transaction - get it in writing so you can show the dad the "no strings attached clause" any time he complained about playing time. If the kid really wasn't a good player like you state and if he didn't over power everone on the mound why did you pick him for your team?

The kid had a great try out but it became evident in the season that he was not consistent. His mental attitude held him back. Something not clearly evident in the try out. He had stayed down in age group we and were not previously familiar with him. We had no knowledge of his family or their financial status when we took him for the team strictly on the basis of his try out. One of those live and learn things. No big deal, I was just relating an experience we had. Your response to my comment seems a little hostile What's up with that?
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  12:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It happened a couple of years ago on one of my son's travel teams. The boy never sat and you could tell he did not have that much experience with baseball. One day he could be a strong athlete, but just not that year. The parents were as nice as can be and I know he did not expect anything in return (I could be wrong)... But I did not realize it until the coaches decided to start giving out game balls. This boy got a game ball almost every other game. First hit, first walk, first stolen base, first pop fly caught, second hit, second walk, ... etc. It got to be funny, even one of the other dads would walk by every time he made a play and whispered "there is a game ball". I am pretty sure that was his one and only year playing travel ball.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000