General Discussion
 Throwing Program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  13:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions on the best Throwing Program for a 12yr old?

I know posting here will likely lead to a number of different responses similar to the information all over the web. I am just trying to find a program with years of proven results.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  14:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your goal? And how far along is the 12 year old in puberty? I knew a 4'6 75# twelve year old, and I knew a 5'9 150# twelve year old....they are going to have different programs. Are you looking for pitching velocity, outfield velocity, strength, arm speed, gear up after winter shutdown...etc
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  16:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jaeger Long Toss
Go to Top of Page

GoTryb

25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attended the National Pitching Association with Tom House this past weekend with my sons. I cannot stress enough the quality of instruction and practical (science-based) advice received by all. I would strongly encourage you to review their information before embarking on any throwing programs as they have debunked many traditional pitching (and football and golf...) myths through over 20 years of analytical research. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  13:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puberty - not yet. about 4'9 80 lbs Goal - Overall arm strength in general. Assume pitching velocity will come with increased strength and throwing. Will check out both Jaeger and Tom House info
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  15:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDawg

Puberty - not yet. about 4'9 80 lbs Goal - Overall arm strength in general. Assume pitching velocity will come with increased strength and throwing. Will check out both Jaeger and Tom House info

Okay you asked for guidance...my advice would be not to spend money on a throwing program for a pre-puberty kid.

Have you ever seen a video of a horse being born and they come out and they don't really know how to walk, and they keep falling down? That was my kid at age 11/12, he grew 13 inches in 12 months..this was accompanied by walking into walls, knocking over things EVERY DAY, having to relearn how to pitch, bat, even RUN! He actually accused me of moving the kitchen doorway...the entire doorway!

I know everyone seems to be jumping on the extra training bandwagon, and those places will for sure take your money, but your son's growth plates are wide open and REALLY open to damage at this point and he won't really gain the strength or velocity you want until he hits puberty, so why not save the money for speed and agility classes that will teach him to move as his body grows and pass on the throwing program until he's bigger. That's my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Bflanders

6 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  16:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoTryb

Attended the National Pitching Association with Tom House this past weekend with my sons. I cannot stress enough the quality of instruction and practical (science-based) advice received by all. I would strongly encourage you to review their information before embarking on any throwing programs as they have debunked many traditional pitching (and football and golf...) myths through over 20 years of analytical research. Good luck!

Tom House trivia note: He caught Hank Aaron's 715th home run, as a teammate, while in the bullpen. Before that home run The Babe and The Hammer were tied at 714 a piece. May be the most famous home run of all time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000