Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 School Football and Travel Ball, any rules?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know any Georgia rules about playing High School Football AND Travel Ball in the Fall?

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  10:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do not give the "State" any thoughts of putting more rules on us. We can't take much more protection.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  10:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

Please do not give the "State" any thoughts of putting more rules on us. We can't take much more protection.

THIS^^^^^^^^
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  11:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't trying to give them thoughts, lol! Just trying to figure out if my son was allowed to play baseball in the fall for his travel team.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  12:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The high school football coach should know?
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  12:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no rules except what the coaches choose to invoke themselves. If the HS coach says no other sport activities outside of his, then that's what you'll be bound to.

Their biggest concern is typically some injury happening outside of their span of control which would make the kid unable to play for them.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  13:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they only care if it interferes with fundraising and booster club duties
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  14:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your son is on the path to being a starter or a major contributor during his HS days, then playing travel anything during his main season is a risk. Along the lines of In The Know, if he gets hurt playing baseball and has to miss time in football, that is going to be a huge negative with the coaches going forward. But, if he's deadset on playing fall ball, he at least needs to go talk it over with the FB coach and see if he can get his blessings. Otherwise, you're just setting up a situation that isn't going to go well. Even if he didn't get hurt and the FB coach found out, I could easily hear him say something along the lines of "if you have that much energy on the weekends, you aren't working/playing hard enough on the FB field".

Edited by - sebaseball on 08/09/2016 17:07:46
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  15:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I nominate whits23 for best post of the year and funniest....
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  07:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebaseball

If your son is on the path to being a starter or a major contributor during his HS days, then playing travel anything during his main season is a risk. Along the lines of In The Know, if he gets hurt playing baseball and has to miss time in football, that is going to be a huge negative with the coaches going forward. But, if he's deadset on playing fall ball, he at least needs to go talk it over with the FB coach and see if he can get his blessings. Otherwise, you're just setting up a situation that isn't going to go well. Even if he didn't get hurt and the FB coach found out, I could easily hear him say something along the lines of "if you have that much energy on the weekends, you aren't working/playing hard enough on the FB field".

Interesting take. He's been told he will be on the field 90% of the time for the Freshman team in various positions. Football is new, he really likes it, but baseball is his first love. I think Freshman football has 6 maybe 7 games total.

So, he should be talking to his football coach about fall travel ball? I thought maybe as long as he made football the priority then there was nothing to talk about...am I wrong in that?
Go to Top of Page

ballfamily1

21 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  09:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whits23 is correct on this one
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  09:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting take. He's been told he will be on the field 90% of the time for the Freshman team in various positions. Football is new, he really likes it, but baseball is his first love. I think Freshman football has 6 maybe 7 games total.

So, he should be talking to his football coach about fall travel ball? I thought maybe as long as he made football the priority then there was nothing to talk about...am I wrong in that?

I've been on the sidelines and in the offices with football coaches off & on for the better part of 20 years. Of course, every coach is an individual, but as a whole, the overall mentality of football coaches is much more intense and singularly focused on their sport. That has gotten worse over the years as the push to win every year at the HS level has increased. As a whole, HS football has become a full-time job for the players mainly because of the pressure to win and the coaches inherently knowing that their job and their family's livelihood is on the line. It's accepted (but shouldn't be IMO) that baseball players will have to go through full contact spring practice during the baseball season, but the reverse isn't so welcomed. However, with many schools opting out of spring practice for an extra scrimmage game that's become less of an issue these days.

I just believe that having a conversation on the front-end even if it's a "hey coach, just wanted to let you know that I'm playing fall ball on Saturdays, but it won't interfere in anyway with my commitment to the football team" will go a long way in heading off any potential issues. But there is going to come a time, probably this summer, where the football schedule is going to make it very difficult for him to play both sports. There is no off-season with football anymore with summer workouts, passing leagues, OTA's, etc. and the expectation to be at all football activities is made very well known. With so many of the HS age tourneys being weekday events, those interfere with the football schedule and that leads to direct conflict. Sad that this is where it's at, but it is what it is.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no GHSA rules about doing both. It's a matter of being courteous to the coach. I think if there are no conflicts, no harm no foul. The only GHSA rules revolve around playing the same sport somewhere else during that sport's season in progress.
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing to talk about in my opinion. Kids have been doing both in the fall ever since I coached a fall pickup team beginning back in 2011. Football kids could come when they could. Mostly Sundays, but often Saturdays for those motivated enough to do it. This is 100% a family decision in my view.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  14:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
talk to the football coach on this one....and I can't imagine having that kind of energy, when I got home from football practice I ate everything in the fridge
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  17:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've been on the sidelines and in the offices with football coaches off & on for the better part of 20 years. Of course, every coach is an individual, but as a whole, the overall mentality of football coaches is much more intense and singularly focused on their sport. That has gotten worse over the years as the push to win every year at the HS level has increased. As a whole, HS football has become a full-time job for the players mainly because of the pressure to win and the coaches inherently knowing that their job and their family's livelihood is on the line. It's accepted (but shouldn't be IMO) that baseball players will have to go through full contact spring practice during the baseball season, but the reverse isn't so welcomed. However, with many schools opting out of spring practice for an extra scrimmage game that's become less of an issue these days.

I just believe that having a conversation on the front-end even if it's a "hey coach, just wanted to let you know that I'm playing fall ball on Saturdays, but it won't interfere in anyway with my commitment to the football team" will go a long way in heading off any potential issues. But there is going to come a time, probably this summer, where the football schedule is going to make it very difficult for him to play both sports. There is no off-season with football anymore with summer workouts, passing leagues, OTA's, etc. and the expectation to be at all football activities is made very well known. With so many of the HS age tourneys being weekday events, those interfere with the football schedule and that leads to direct conflict. Sad that this is where it's at, but it is what it is.

I didn't think baseball players were allowed to participate in spring practice as long as they were still playing. Just as they aren't allowed to participate in any supervised baseball activities during football in the fall.
Go to Top of Page

BBmomof2

2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  08:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a son who has played both sports at the Varsity level, it can be done when they are playing Freshman or JV football since these games are played on Thursday nights. When they move to Varsity and are playing on Friday night they are only able to play baseball on Sunday. Usually the Varsity players are required to be back at the school on Saturday morning for stretching, game review, etc. Plus, if your son played Friday night, he will be tired the next day. Your head football coach won't like it for the reasons already stated and will probably tell your son he doesn't allow it but there are no official rules against it.
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  08:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

quote:

quote:

I didn't think baseball players were allowed to participate in spring practice as long as they were still playing. Just as they aren't allowed to participate in any supervised baseball activities during football in the fall.

If that's the case, it's a school/coaches decision. To my knowledge there is no GHSA rule against it and I've yet to come across a school where the baseball players who play football weren't required to participate in spring practice. But maybe that's just how it's done in SGA vs NGA.
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  09:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

quote:

quote:

If that's the case, it's a school/coaches decision. To my knowledge there is no GHSA rule against it and I've yet to come across a school where the baseball players who play football weren't required to participate in spring practice. But maybe that's just how it's done in SGA vs NGA.

Got it - thanks!

I will see what I can find out and provide more info.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  12:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my son originally asked to play football in May I contacted the coach because travel ball was in FULL swing. His response was "I understand what season it is and we want him when we can have him, the only thing I ask for is COMMUNICATION, I need to know when he won't be here."

I updated him on out of town baseball trips and we haven't spoken of it again. When my son asked the HS baseball coach if there was any problem with him playing football in 9th grade he said "Absolutely no problem, we like our players to play either football or cross country in the fall, it keeps them in shape."

Maybe my kids high school has adults running the sports program? As for my kids energy levels...gesh, it's absurd. He often will go run for a couple miles AFTER football practice. I have no words!
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2016 :  13:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Maybe my kids high school has adults running the sports program? As for my kids energy levels...gesh, it's absurd. He often will go run for a couple miles AFTER football practice. I have no words!

Believe me you are in for a shock! I have no idea what school your son attends but your views on baseball and coaches are about to change in the next few years. I wish only I could go back and copy and paste every post you have ever made and let you re read those in 5 years. I just don't have a hard drive big enough. Love your comments and input on this board but believe me just hang on to your hat. Who knows though maybe I am wrong I usually am, but we will see I guess.

Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2016 :  19:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not believe the hype hurricane. I doubt any football kids are going to practice 6-8 running 3 miles and doing homework. Then getting up at 6am for the squat session in the weight room and then doing the 11 am PE..cough cough..weightlifting class. Rinse wash and repeat LOL
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  08:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

LOL Maybe my kids high school has adults running the sports program? As for my kids energy levels...gesh, it's absurd. He often will go run for a couple miles AFTER football practice. I have no words!

Believe me you are in for a shock! I have no idea what school your son attends but your views on baseball and coaches are about to change in the next few years. I wish only I could go back and copy and paste every post you have ever made and let you re read those in 5 years. I just don't have a hard drive big enough. Love your comments and input on this board but believe me just hang on to your hat. Who knows though maybe I am wrong I usually am, but we will see I guess.

So far the football coach and the baseball coach seem to be in sync. So far my son has not complained about practices and has worked out more on his own outside of practice. And so far I don't have a problem with a high school coach. All of that could change next week, and if and when that happens I would be glad to post different opinions.

Jag, my son doesn't do a 6am squat session, nor does he have a weightlifting class.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  09:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaguars18

Do not believe the hype hurricane. I doubt any football kids are going to practice 6-8 running 3 miles and doing homework. Then getting up at 6am for the squat session in the weight room and then doing the 11 am PE..cough cough..weightlifting class. Rinse wash and repeat LOL

The new GHSA football limits on contact have severely lowered the quality of football practice. It's more like powder puff now.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  10:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue

quote:
Originally posted by jaguars18

The new GHSA football limits on contact have severely lowered the quality of football practice. It's more like powder puff now.

This is the first year my son has played football. If this is limited contact I would have hated to see past years *shudder*

Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  21:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a gander at the movie "The Junction Boys" and you'll understand just how soft it's gotten. If I'm not bad wrong, most all of the guys who made it through that team camp went on to become ultrasuccessful businessmen with many of them millionaires.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000