General Discussion
 Is PG format change temp or perm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cherokeeplayer

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  09:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the Freshman WWBA this weekend, PG has changed the event format.

In a typical PG event there are pools, you play the teams within your pools to see who is the best. It is the winners of the pools that move on in the event and most others get sent directly to a consolation game. This is unfortunate if you have a team that is good enough to make it to the championship but since you had one off game you didn't win your pool and you can't advance.

The format for this weekend is to play two pool play games, then Sunday games are based on your seeding from pool play, which is when double elimination starts. I think this format will show the true talent of the group better.

What do you think? And is this an experiment or a shift in PG?

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  11:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guess that since the tournament was capped at only 13 teams and they are getting an extra play day on Monday that they could use this type of format.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  14:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's awesome because little Timmy might only be throwing 65 and in a regular PG tourney the coach is not going to put him on the mound for long, which stinks for Timmy. How do you get better unless you face better competition?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  20:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If high school Timmy is pitching 65 forget it. There are 11 year olds pitching 66.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

If high school Timmy is pitching 65 forget it. There are 11 year olds pitching 66.

Truth. Or faster. Haha
Go to Top of Page

bballguy15

63 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  10:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

CaCo meant 65 pitches. The way the PitchSmart rules are set up, a lot of mid level pitchers don't get used more than 45 to 60 pitches so they can come back earlier. High level pitchers don't get used until the pool play game matters or until they make bracket.

If the changes are long term, more teams will have a chance at winning bracket games as they won't have to waste their best pitching in pool play just to get out of pool play.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  15:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I understand it, pitchsmart requires 3 days of rest at 65, even for a high school player so I assumed she was talking about velocity. You aren't coming back sooner unless it's a 4 day plus tourney, or you are going to put Timmy out there for the max number of pitches in a pool game, which if he is a mid level pitcher, will pretty much guarantee you don't go through. But I may be misunderstanding?? When she said he's "only" throwing 65...more than that and he's out any way?

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 09/05/2016 15:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Cherokeeplayer

53 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  08:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While there are 11 year olds throwing 65 I saw a lot more 60-70mph this weekend than 70-80 mph. Maybe it was the teams my sons team played but out of 4 games only one team threw consistently over 70, and only one pitcher threw over 75.

I think the majority of 11 year olds throwing 65 are already over 5'5 and 140#'s, and it is not indicative of the 11 year old group as a whole. Just as the 14u kids that played in Ft. Myers this weekend that were throwing 85-93 are not indicative of the 14u group as a whole.

I think that at 16u the number one determining factor is genetics. However, at 11u-15u the number one factor is puberty. That couldn't have been more clear this weekend at the PG wooden bat tournament.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  08:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballguy15

quote:

CaCo meant 65 pitches. The way the PitchSmart rules are set up, a lot of mid level pitchers don't get used more than 45 to 60 pitches so they can come back earlier. High level pitchers don't get used until the pool play game matters or until they make bracket.

If the changes are long term, more teams will have a chance at winning bracket games as they won't have to waste their best pitching in pool play just to get out of pool play.

Thanks for the defense bballguy15 but I actually did mean 65mph. I also heard there was a lot of that 65mph stuff going on this weekend, and that this format worked very well in allowing the "lesser" pitchers the chance to get some work in during pool play.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  10:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokeeplayer

I think the majority of 11 year olds throwing 65 are already over 5'5 and 140#'s, and it is not indicative of the 11 year old group as a whole. Just as the 14u kids that played in Ft. Myers this weekend that were throwing 85-93 are not indicative of the 14u group as a whole.

Last fall, my 5'1" 108 lb 11 year old was clocked at 66 in a PG tournament. While he was at the higher end of the spectrum, by the end of the 11U season, we were regularly seeing not so big kids throwing in the low 60s range. The highest we saw touched 70, I believe, and those WERE the big kids you're talking about.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000