New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  12:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a reasonable amount of money one can expect to pay in the 15u age group? Is there any quality alternatives to East Cobb? Do any of you know of any fairly competitive teams in this age division that are reasonably priced?

bballman

990 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  16:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just make sure you know before you commit. Our team paid about $1100 last year. That included uniforms, all tournament and equipment fees, indoor practice facility rentals, coaches travel expenses (non-dad coaches who only asked for travel expenses) - everything other than our own travel expenses. I know of another team that charged between $2500 - $3000 for basically the same thing. All kinds of range. Make a point to ask about it.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  22:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am not sure what reasonable is. most folks i talk to seem to be paying in the 1500-1900 range. 643 may be a bit more. i know tgba is more. ecb is in a range around 2k. my son played with bballman's son. what we paid was a bargain based on what i noted above. NOTE- many tournaments are much pricier for the older ages. perfect game is very expensive so that drives some of the fees. much of the higher fee level though is driven by paying for the coaches.
Go to Top of Page

ECDiamondbacks

52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  21:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our parents pay $450 up front and "pay as you go" through the year. We play in all the major tournaments out of East Cobb. We have very good sponsors to support the team.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

73 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  15:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what does the $450 get you..i like the idea of each kid pays for one tourney. that is about $500 each.
Go to Top of Page

ECDiamondbacks

52 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  09:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The $450 is for uniforms and equipment of the sponsors that East Cobb requires each team/player to buy. Other than than we just split the tournament fees up between players.
Go to Top of Page

Injun Chief

16 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  16:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, expenses keep escalating in baseball. PG is now up to $ 1,750 an event !!
The best read is to ask for a budget and see what's involved .... at the upper age groups $1,500 - $ 2,000 isn't unreasonable .... specially if the number of slots is limited !!
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

211 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  09:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if sponsors require you to buy stuff from them what exactly are they giving you? i could outfit half a team for $450

Or do they take from 8 teams and give to 2 teams?
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  20:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East Cobb is a different deal, in that it is not a county park. It is a private facility that gets no county funding. Sponsorship by Rawlings and Reebok go toward the facilities.

BTW, if you wonder if that money actually does go toward the facilities, if you have been over there this winter, you will see that new drainage pipe is being installed on field 2, to help the field drain faster. Somewhere this season I would expect that you might appreciate it while playing there.
Go to Top of Page

rklynn

10 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  18:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teams compete at different levels so the cost varies a lot.
The two biggest factors are the number of tournaments played and whether there are paid trainers/coaches involved.

Expect between $1,000-$3,500

Also, some teams will conduct fundraisers and get sponsors to keep costs down. (even tryout fees are part of fundraising for some teams)

Ultimately you will need to ask the coach what the expected fees are for a their team.
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  11:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just asked to write a check for my son's 15U summer team, and it prompted me to post this insight.

Many people criticize the cost of playing at ECB. Truth be told, ECB only charges $175 per calendar year (or $60 if entering in fall season) for any player to play on an ECB team. This fee is applied to league and complex operating costs. And as Alter-Ego wrote above, the complex is absolutely incredible.

All costs above the $175/year ECB fee are determined by each team's coaching staff and parents. They include tournament fees, uniform expenses, turf/cleat expenses, regular season game umpire expenses, and possibly coach's fees and travel expenses. Most of the 15U teams at ECB this season will be in the $1500-2000 range for 60-70 games in late May, June, & July.

Go to Top of Page

u r out

4 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  12:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kehndog

I was just asked to write a check for my son's 15U summer team, and it prompted me to post this insight.

Many people criticize the cost of playing at ECB. Truth be told, ECB only charges $175 per calendar year (or $60 if entering in fall season) for any player to play on an ECB team. This fee is applied to league and complex operating costs. And as Alter-Ego wrote above, the complex is absolutely incredible.

All costs above the $175/year ECB fee are determined by each team's coaching staff and parents. They include tournament fees, uniform expenses, turf/cleat expenses, regular season game umpire expenses, and possibly coach's fees and travel expenses. Most of the 15U teams at ECB this season will be in the $1500-2000 range for 60-70 games in late May, June, & July.

Dog,
Don't forget the try-out fee. $100 or 125, depending on if you register early.
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  22:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on, UR. Forgot about that check back in August! Of course, that one is a fundraising, tax deductible check ... right? Hahaa
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u r out,
Include that in the $1500-$2000 range. Teams can also select tournaments to host to offset some of the costs.
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  08:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And of course you may want to actually watch your kid play then it is 5 dollars a head per day. So, if you have a family of 4 that is 20 dollars a day for three days worth of tournaments = 60 a tournament X 10 tournaments = 600 more dollars. Then you may want to eat or not. Point is need to bump up your total another 1,000.

Doesn't matter anyhow, went with East Cobb team. Live for the moment baby.....
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to note that my son's High School team budget (for Varsity and JV only) was approximately $65,000 for the 2010 season. The county pays some of this, but there's a huge burden placed on the parents to support Booster Club fundraisers that never seem to end.

So, while you're writing those checks for spring/summer 14U and below travel ball, get ready to also write some significant checks to your HS booster clubs too.

Net-net ... you gotta pay to play.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

211 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  17:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kendog

I am tired of these schools who intimidate people into joining booster clubs etc. You can not make a player pay to play public school ball. I have seen kids to ashamed to admit they cant afford the raffle sells or protein powders, fancy shirts etc and parents can not afford the booster dues. Ever have the nerve to ask the coaches what they are being paid from the booster club?

With travel ball you have a choice, you dont want to pay dont play, the purpose of school ball is not to promote pay to play ball.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  22:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just relieved the High School we are trying to get into only charges $50 to play on the team and no fundraising. This drama of public school is exhausting.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 04/05/2010 09:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Sultan

57 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  09:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience is the summer team fee is a bit higher because of tourney fees, 2-3 times the number of games, often higher level of coaching. That said, you're probably getting more for your money. The cost to play at top high school programs ranges between $750 and $1,500 after booster club fees and an endless number of fall and spring required raffle tickets, cookie dough sales, pre-tryout clinic, golf tourneys, etc.
Before the first pitch you're told the booster club has to raise $75,000 a year to keep the program running. That's fine. But what have folks seen in the past after the season? Is a financial statement made available of how and where the money was spent? Are the bonuses paid coaches spelled out? If this info isn't shared, is it deemed appropriate to ask?
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  12:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teddy and Sultan ... I'm frustrated with it too. Our latest fundraiser is getting the players to sell smoked meats from a current "scoreboard" sponsor of the program. You've got to be kidding me. And, other than an initial budget that was "sort of" distributed at a meeting last fall, we've not seen anything that comes close to resembling a financial statement.

It seems to me that HS booster clubs are stuck in "doing things the way they've always been done." It'll take new leadership with a strong head in the current economy to effect some change. Hmm ... sounds like a fun challenge.
Go to Top of Page

ec1

40 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kehndog--I will be the first to agree that the HS programs are not free---but where do you think the money is going to come from? I'm tired of selling sausage, trees, candles, signs as much as you are but the harsh reality is that at our school, they pay for 3 coaches, lights, water, electricity and donate@5-8k from the genral fund--oh and the big yellow bus.If you want a new press box, concession stand, indoor facility or locker room, the Dugout CLub better pony up and big. And then you pay to maintian the field,equipment--anything baseball realated, uniforms, coaches over the alloted 3etc...
In our program you can write a check and your done, or you can fundraise your ever loving a#$ off and not pay a dime out of your own pocket. SO, that is the route most folks take.
Our budget was presented at least 3 times and the big bonus for the coaching staff did not exist.Not saying it doesn't at other schools.
Our tax dollars can't even pay to keep teachers and staff in the system, don't ever see it going to the sports programs--nor should it. We don't seem to bat an eye to pony up the bucks to play travel ball and cart Johnny all over the SE, so stroke a check and be done with it, or volunteer and fundraise like a star...

See you at the park...

expensive
quote:
Originally posted by kehndog

Teddy and Sultan ... I'm frustrated with it too. Our latest fundraiser is getting the players to sell smoked meats from a current "scoreboard" sponsor of the program. You've got to be kidding me. And, other than an initial budget that was "sort of" distributed at a meeting last fall, we've not seen anything that comes close to resembling a financial statement.

It seems to me that HS booster clubs are stuck in "doing things the way they've always been done." It'll take new leadership with a strong head in the current economy to effect some change. Hmm ... sounds like a fun challenge.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

990 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I totally agree with ec1. We saw a budget at the beginning of the year for the baseball program and there was nothing allocated to coaches for anything. Once again, it is the counties that don't give anything to the athletic programs. If the money does not come from the participants, where is it supposed to come from? If we all choose not to pay or fundraise, more than likely, the program will be dropped. I, for one, enjoy watching the team and my son play WAY too much to allow that to happen. Do I like it? Not really. Can I look back and say it was different when I grew up? Oh yeah. Times have changed. I'm willing to pay and work right now. How about you kehndog? Will you be willing? Or will you sit back and not pay while the other participants step up for your son. It is what it is. The question is, is the experience worth the time and money? For me, it is.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would love to hear what each school has for a budget......
i saw sultan at 75k and i heard of another school at 89k and then i know of a small private school thats at 40k.

whats everyone else got?
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  00:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you mis-read my previous post as complaining about paying for HS ball, EC1. I totally get the fact that there are bills to pay and that the sole existence of a booster club is to raise the funds to pay the bills. What we lack is ... transparency/communication regarding the budget, cohesive plan for fundraising, clear communications, and parity among the 40 families who bear the burden. Sounds like your program has those things figured out.
Go to Top of Page

Sultan

57 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  09:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points by all. Let's also keep in mind that all programs aren't created equal or run in the same fashion. All should strive for transparency and openess regarding finances. Now that we've written checks and fundraised, let's see an end-of-season accounting of how the $75,000 was spent. I ask again, is it wrong to expect this or ask for it?
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  11:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bballman,
When you looked at the budget at the first of the season, what were most of the expenses? You said none was going to the coaches. Is the program responsible for uniforms, travel, field maintenance, renovation, etc? I figure most of the labor for field maintenance is done by the players, other than cutting the grass. I, like Sultan, would be curious what a program could spend $75K on that did not involve coaching bonuses or renovating a field. Was there debt from past renovations (new indoor cages, pressbox, clubhouse, etc) that are having to be paid off?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-14 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000