New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  17:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds me when I coached a team in FL about 13 years ago. A dad wanted to have a different coach for his team and he picked the players. 90% of the team he picked consisted of fairly big kids who could hit for power, but sucked on defense because of their size and lack of mobility. That season sucked. The next season I broke away and went with speedy athletic kids instead of the big kids. Most of the team spoke spanish and portuguese, some had not even played baseball before, but were athletically gifted. That team dominated at an AAA and some Major level events and didn't have the greatest pitchers, but the fielding was as close to perfect as a coach could ask for. They were so fast that a routine batted grounder could be fielded correctly and they still would beat the throw to 1B, didn't even have a 1B coach either. The primary catcher was the smallest kid on the team, but he had such a quick jump from squat and throwing action that he picked off more runners than any one.

Out of the 5 tools, Hitting for power is last on my list. Strike out percentage is too high for me.
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  21:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ''beer league softball"approach works up until about 10U when kids start throwing change ups.

If you want a high level travel team you better have above average pitching and defense and a team that doesn't strike out a bunch.

Edited by - hshuler on 11/04/2016 08:06:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000