Sponsorship
Opportunities

Sponsored Links
Georgia Bombers Baseball Club
LolaBird Bedsheet Fundraising
Cherokee Batting Range
Georgia Jackets
Georgia Stars
Dingers Athletics
Forsyth Grizzlies - Georgia Octane
Georgia USSSA Baseball
Quick Links
Cooperstown
Tournaments
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA Links
To Indexes

Cooperstown
Tournaments
Join NWBA Team Insurance
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 Ump's Corner
 Any oversight on Umpires?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cherokeeplayer

53 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  07:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is a youth forum but does anyone know if there is any oversight for High School Umpires?

I watched a game last night that unless the pitch was straight up the middle at belt height it was a ball. This was a High School JV game and there were 25 walks in seven innings!

Is there any accountability for these umpires? Does anyone look at these umpire stats and say "Well that amount of walks is very odd"?

Ump Nation Georgia

33 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  13:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High School Baseball in the state of Georgia is overseen by GHSA and the individual groups that assign high school ball within the state. The GHSA has an evaluation committee made up of experienced umpires around the state. These evals are used to determine whether or not the umpire is capable of doing higher level games and playoffs. Some groups actually have evaluators within the group and they serve the same purpose. You will rarely find an evaluator at a JV game, but it could happen. If the school were listed, I could tell you what group covers it. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  07:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Varsity and Playoffs get evaluated umpires who have proven they call a good game? What happens if they fail this evaluation, are they just not allowed to call the big games but can still call the lower games?
Go to Top of Page

Ump Nation Georgia

33 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  13:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every Umpire is evaluated by the state, or they are supposed to be. If they do not do well on their Eval, they will stay at the middle school/JV level. Only when they improve, will they move up to Varsity level games. Every official must also pass a written test each year and attend a GHSA camp to improve on their skills.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  07:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ump Nation Georgia

Every Umpire is evaluated by the state, or they are supposed to be. If they do not do well on their Eval, they will stay at the middle school/JV level. Only when they improve, will they move up to Varsity level games. Every official must also pass a written test each year and attend a GHSA camp to improve on their skills.



Okay, I am not trying to be a smart mouth here, I'm actually interested. Are you saying the steps are
1. Take an umpiring course
2. Umpire some lower games
3. Take state level eval, if you do poorly you are stuck at JV and under only.

And no one checks their accuracy of balls/strikes being called live, just a written test every year?
Go to Top of Page

Ump Nation Georgia

33 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  17:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All GHSA umpires are required to take a rules exam and go to training before a schedule is released to said umpire. After they pass and complete training, they are assigned middle school, 9th Grade, or lower level JV games. Once they progress in the eyes of their organization and the GHSA State they can move up to varsity games. I can assure you that there is a much stricter policy for umpires than there are for coaches. We are required to know the rules each year, not just once and we are required to attend camps each year to remain eligible for Varsity games and Playoffs. After 5 years of service to GHSA one is considered a Certified Umpire. This doesn't mean that we don't have to take the test each year or don't have to continue to go to training, this just means that you are eligible for playoffs. I hope this helps, but anyone interested in becoming an umpire should contact one of the groups on the Ump Page of this website. It's much more fun on the diamond than from the stands!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  09:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  20:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokeeplayer

I know this is a youth forum but does anyone know if there is any oversight for High School Umpires?

I watched a game last night that unless the pitch was straight up the middle at belt height it was a ball. This was a High School JV game and there were 25 walks in seven innings!

Is there any accountability for these umpires? Does anyone look at these umpire stats and say "Well that amount of walks is very odd"?



Sorry to get off topic, but Being a 13u player's dad I am kind of on the opposite side of this spectrum. My kid KNOWS when the ball is a foot and a half OFF the plate................I saw him BOILING this past weekend because the Ump called a strike so far outside there was nothing he could do with it, and my son KNEW it.
From my angle(by the dugout), I thought he was upset that he took one down the middle.

So my question is this............would you rather have him call a game where no one walks? Do you like the strikes being called
s a foot off the plate? Personally I am SICK of it and cant wait for a real strike zone.
We have to adjust with what the ump is calling each game and as long as it is consistent from beginning to end, I live with it and have little problems. When they change their zone is when I no likey
Go to Top of Page

Cherokeeplayer

53 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  09:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

quote:
Originally posted by Cherokeeplayer

I know this is a youth forum but does anyone know if there is any oversight for High School Umpires?

I watched a game last night that unless the pitch was straight up the middle at belt height it was a ball. This was a High School JV game and there were 25 walks in seven innings!

Is there any accountability for these umpires? Does anyone look at these umpire stats and say "Well that amount of walks is very odd"?



Sorry to get off topic, but Being a 13u player's dad I am kind of on the opposite side of this spectrum. My kid KNOWS when the ball is a foot and a half OFF the plate................I saw him BOILING this past weekend because the Ump called a strike so far outside there was nothing he could do with it, and my son KNEW it.
From my angle(by the dugout), I thought he was upset that he took one down the middle.

So my question is this............would you rather have him call a game where no one walks? Do you like the strikes being called
s a foot off the plate? Personally I am SICK of it and cant wait for a real strike zone.
We have to adjust with what the ump is calling each game and as long as it is consistent from beginning to end, I live with it and have little problems. When they change their zone is when I no likey



At 13u the umps are still giving leeway to the strike zone. The point of my post was that even at the JV level there is still not a "real strike zone", as you put it, every time.

Bad calls happen to everyone, umps are human. Every player has had that strike called that was in the other batter box or over their head. You shake it off and know that the ump just had a brain fart, but nothing you can do.

But the umpire only liking about a 4inch squared strike zone was just preposterous. In a JV game the pitchers are typically throwing strikes plus or minus a few inches. It's standard to have over 60% strike percentage and often you get over 70% strike percentage.

To have 25 walks when the pitchers are both being fairly accurate was painful to watch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000