General Discussion
 Dirty Plate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3DCNC

9 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  15:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious if anyone else has a problem with a home plate covered with dirt. How does an umpire call a game correctly with dirt hiding the plate the whole game? Seems to me they are guessing and that is not what they are payed to do. When I have noticed this I have also noticed a very inconsistent strike zone. This definitely should not be happening at the 13u level in travel ball in my opinion. Of course if you ask for the plate to be cleaned off your done for that game.

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  07:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tell your catcher to clean it off. Happens all the time.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can ask your catcher to clean off the plate. If asked by the umpire he can just say "I just need to know where to set up sir."
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  08:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have been a slow weekend, if we're down to talking about the cleanliness of the dish. You'd get more feedback if you were talking about bathrooms....

But, by 13, shouldn't the boys 'know' or recognize a strike? I get it, plenty of umps have their own zone (pie-plate to 9-square), but most are consistent, even if it's consistently bad... Adapt, adjust, and swing the bat.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  12:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umps in high school don't need a plate as long as they can see the inside white line on the left side of the batters box and the inside white line on the inside of right side of batters box, because that is what they are calling this year.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  15:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

Umps in high school don't need a plate as long as they can see the inside white line on the left side of the batters box and the inside white line on the inside of right side of batters box, because that is what they are calling this year.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  17:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right about that. I have seen strikes called in other box many times. I guess that is why pitching dominates high school baseball.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  08:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like last year they started this way then moved in some as the season went on. I hope they do that again. A good pitcher can dominate using the outside 6 inches, I have seen some pitches this year that are unhittable not to mention unfoulable? Is that even a word?
Go to Top of Page

3DCNC

9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaxiMom

Just tell your catcher to clean it off. Happens all the time.

True. I guess my point is if the catcher has to clean the plate off then the ump has no issue with guessing where the corners are. Then we go from who can pitch to simply who has the best fastball right down the middle. Forget off speed stuff low and away. I mean the plate does dictate half of the strike zone correct? If we don't need to see the plate to call a good game, why not eliminate the foul lines as well?
Go to Top of Page

3DCNC

9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

Must have been a slow weekend, if we're down to talking about the cleanliness of the dish. You'd get more feedback if you were talking about bathrooms....

But, by 13, shouldn't the boys 'know' or recognize a strike? I get it, plenty of umps have their own zone (pie-plate to 9-square), but most are consistent, even if it's consistently bad... Adapt, adjust, and swing the bat.

Yes they should and we did, but how does the pitcher adjust? Throw it right down the middle belt high? I get what you are saying about strike zones. Seen it plenty of times. However I have observed many times when the ump doesn't keep a clean plate you will see a VERY inconsistent strike zone as far as inside and outside goes. It doesn't matter if the catcher cleans it off or not because that ump wont care. I have even saw some take that as an insult. Thanks for the reply and I don't mean to come across smart at all. Its just very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

3DCNC

9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe at least they know the rules. Had an ump Sunday call balk when there was no balk. When the kid got back on second the ump says "My bad. That one is on me."
Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  14:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 3DCNC

quote:

Maybe at least they know the rules. Had an ump Sunday call balk when there was no balk. When the kid got back on second the ump says "My bad. That one is on me."

As bad as that is, at least he acknowledged his mistake and let the kid know. Some would have either never acknowledged that they screwed it up or never even realized they did in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

redsox23

98 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  00:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an ump today at 12u TC, call time/dead ball as the pitch was thrown, told the pitcher you cant keep pumping your hands, you have to come set, and you aren't allowed to turn your shoulders towards first when you look at the runner He did all of that before he threw the pitch). He didn't call a balk...we asked isn't a balk what you just described and he said "yes"....8u, 9u, and maybe even 10u in the fall season, I'll give you a warning. 12u AAA Spring season, come on. You gotta be better than that.
Go to Top of Page

Bryzzo

6 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  09:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get me started on balks. Umpires that actually call them are few and far between and I think some coaches teach their kids to take advantage of it. In 13U division 1, saw a kid who was not coming set for about five or six pitches in a row. Fans finally started getting on the umpire, who let the kid deliver another pitch without coming set and then called time, talked to the pitcher, and the pitcher then proceed to come set on all his pitches after that. This was in a close game with runners on base where the pitcher was clearly getting an advantage in keeping the runners close by not coming set. It's not that hard to call correctly, but umpires are just too lazy or incompetent to enforce the rules. Once you call one or two balks in a game, the coaches will make sure all their pitchers are following the rules, but umpires that actually enforce the rules are rare.
Go to Top of Page

3DCNC

9 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oneZone

quote:
Originally posted by 3DCNC

quote:

As bad as that is, at least he acknowledged his mistake and let the kid know. Some would have either never acknowledged that they screwed it up or never even realized they did in the first place.

This is true. A positive way to look at it for sure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000